OT: Your choices from the last 10 drafts in the 1st round and your prediction of 2019

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
So here's the deal. I think every one of us want to be good judges of talent. There are some here that seem to know better than most, so here is an opportunity to flex your track record.
(Obviously, a better indication would be an entire draft to properly judge, but this is just for fun so were only doing the 1st round)

Rules:

-Name the prospect that you were scouting and wanted to pick during a specific draft.
-Name the actual prospect that was selected.
-Write their NHL GP and point totals since being drafted
- Optional: Write side notes you want describing your train of thought during that time.

And finally, be honest. I think it is good to reflect and take ownership of both your good and bad choices.

2008 - 22nd Overall
Who I wanted: Jordan Eberle (GP: 665 Pts: 478)
Who we drafted: Jordan Eberle (GP: 665 Pts: 478)

He was projected around our pick. I was little biased with Eberle because he grew up an Oiler fan. So, kinda wanted to see the kid live his dream.

2009 - 10th Overall
Who I wanted: Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson (GP: 466 Pts: 124)
Who we drafted: Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson (GP: 466 Pts: 124)

I remember liking his size and and his skillset that some scouts compared them to Forsberg. I was hoping he would slide from the top 7 that he was projected. Pretty happy when he did. Didn't turn out the way we wanted.

2010 - 1st Overall
Who I wanted: Tyler Sequin (GP: 670 Pts: 582) (2nd Overall)
Who we drafted: Taylor Hall (GP: 562 Pts: 511)

They were both compared to be equal in talent and skill. Though Hall was projected more highly. At the time we were starving for centers on our team. It was a tough call because Hall was from Alberta, and who wouldn't want a 1st overall draft pick homegrown in your province. But I secretly was leaning towards Sequin. I thought he would solved our center issues if we drafted him. They both turned out to be great players. Crazy how both were traded by Chia.

2011 - 1st Overall
Who I wanted: Adam Larsson (GP: 497 Pts: 121) (4th Overall)
Who we drafted: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (GP: 538 Pts: 380)

I really liked the scouting reports on Larsson. Swedish media and scouts were raving that he was the best defencemen coming out of the country since Lidstrom. That he was like Hedman with more of a mean streak. Very bittersweet moment when we got him through trade for Hall. Hasn't lived up to his draft potential but still a very serviceable NHLer. I'm definitely supporting him while he wears oiler silks and definitely don't put undue blame on him for the trade. That belongs to Chia.
Oilers made the better draft choice in Nugent-Hopkins compared to my pick.

Edit: Totally forgot about the 19th overall
2011 - 19th Overall
Who I wanted: Oscar Klefbom (GP: 315Pts: 121)
Who we drafted: Oscar Klefbom (GP: 315Pts: 121)

Called this one during the draft , I surprised my roomates at the time when they selected him. Was really hoping that he was still there at our pick. When he was still on the board., I knew the oilers were going to select him. I remember Detroit was really high on him, they immediately traded down after we drafted for him.

2012 - 1st Overall
Who I wanted: Nail Yakupov (GP:350 Pts: 136)
Who we drafted: Nail Yakupov (GP:350 Pts: 136)

Everything you've read about this kid, he was projected to be superstar. Just consensus overall. There was talk about getting Murray but I really did want Yakupov and really wanted him to succeed. I do believe how the oilers handled him affected his game. Disappointed how things turned out.

2013 - 7th Overall
Who I wanted: Seth Jones (GP:466 Pts: 228) (4th Overall)
Who we drafted: Darnell Nurse (GP:278 Pts: 87)

He was projected to possibly be picked 1st overall. Seth Jones just seemed like the perfect Defencemen for this team. I really hoping he would fall. He did, but obviously would never have reached 7. Definitely a pipe dream.

2014 - 3rd Overall
Who I wanted: Leon Draisaitl (GP:350 Pts: 311)
Who we drafted: Leon Draisaitl (GP:350 Pts: 311)

Really wanted to draft Draisaitl. Built like a tank and everyone raved about his hockey IQ. The fact he was a center was exactly what we needed. Was really happy when got him!

2015 - 3rd overall (Lottery win - 1st overall)
Who I wanted: (N/A)
Who we drafted: Connor McDavid (GP:286 Pts:372)

I need to be honest here. I was at a low point. We had a shitty season and another high draft pick. I actually really didn't care who we picked. I wasn't even paying attention to prospects during the year but I showed up to watch the lottery anyways. I never dreamed that we would win and draft 1st a 4th time. (Actually didn't want that distinction, we were reaching laughing stock heights then too)I still can't really believe we have Connor McDavid. It literally sparked renewed excitement for the team. We have to make sure not to lose this kid. This was a miracle for the the oilers.

Edit:Forgot this one too
2015 - 16th Overall (Traded)

I didn't even consider picking anyone in this spot. I remember their was smoke before the draft that they were going to use it to try upgrade a position. So, I dimissed it and never really considered anyone to pick. I do wish we kept it now on hindsight but sounds like they would of picked Eriksson Ek.

2016 - 4th overall
Who I wanted: Mikhail Sergachev (GP:158 Pts: 72) (9th Overall)
Who we drafted: Jesse Puljujarvi (GP:139 Pts:37)

I really thought we needed to get another top-end defencemen. Sergachev seemed to have a excellent toolset that would been great for this team. When Puljujarvi dropped I was ecstatic, but deep down suspicious. He was considered unanimous a top 3 pick. Immediately thought of the Kevin Costner move Draft day. I am holding on hope that Puljujarvi will turn out but he is definitely a question mark coming on his draft +4 year. Sergachev might have been better for us.

2017 -22nd Overall
Who I wanted: Kailer Yamamoto (GP:26 Pts: 5)
Who we drafted: Kailer Yamamoto (GP:26 Pts:5)

Smaller RW forward that had a engine that could and put up great numbers for his size. Suppose to score goals. I was hoping he was going to be our replacement for Jordan Eberle. Plus his name is awesome. Still has time to live up to his potential as a top 6 forward.

2016 - 4th overall
Who I wanted: Adam Boqvist (GP:0 Pts: 0) (8th Overall)
Who we drafted: Evan Bouchard (GP:7 Pts:1)

Boqvist was being compared to E. Karlsson. He was very intriguing and I really wanted the oilers to pick him. I didn't know much about Bouchard because originally he was projected to go way higher, I didn't think he would be where we picked, but the more I researched him after we drafted him I became a big fan of his. I am really excited for him and the more I've read, I think we got a steal. I think both Boqvist and Bouchard are going to be to be very good players.

PREDICTION NHL DRAFT 2019

Who I want: Bowen Byram
Who we will draft: Peyton Krebs

This is based on not winning the lottery. I'm not going to predict who we pick higher if we win the lottery because it hasn't happened so I am sticking to our projected position.

After seeing our defence for the last couple years. I am still very much okay in focusing in getting blue chip defence in the draft. I believe developing quality defence and trading them for wingers will be the way to go and obviously keeping the best defencemen on your team. I really think Byram will become a number 1. This is what the oilers need desperately. But I don't think he will make it to our pick and I think the oilers will choose a very good and safe player in Peyton Krebs.

Last edited:

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
2009 - 10th Overall
Who I wanted: Ryan Ellis (GP: 477 Pts: 213)

Really felt we needed to grab a D this year and loved the offence he brought forward, Knowing OEL wasn't going to be available i picked what i believe was the next best

2010 - 1st Overall
Who I wanted: Taylor Hall (GP: 562 Pts: 511)

Loved is skating power and he semed to have a bit of an ego which i liked at the time looked like the Oilers needed some swagger added. Not much more to say other then an unfortunate ending.

2011 - 1st Overall
Who I wanted: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (GP: 538 Pts: 380)

Loved his hockey IQ he looked like a perfect piece to complement the team, two way player my hope was a Bergeron mini

2012 - 1st Overall
Who I wanted: Morgan Rielly (Gp:469 Pts: 243)

Oh i cant tell you how bad I wanted the Oilers to trade back into the mass of D. Again we had a glaring weakness and thought it was a great draft to gain an asset and grab a great D, Trouba, Rielly, Dumba all would have been great picks (Dumba was my next favorite). I know not to over think the picks and take the BPA but oilers needed depth not another #1 this year. Pick ended up to be our worst in years

2013 - 7th Overall
Who I wanted: Monahan (GP: 471 Pts 363)

He seemed to be hands and feet above the rest of the players in IQ, played both ends of the ice and lots of talent. Seeing he was picked right ahead of us my next pick would have been Horvat but knew we were going with a D because we made some bad choices years prior.

2014 - 3rd Overall

Really wanted to draft Draisaitl. Built like a tank and everyone raved about his hockey IQ. The fact he was center was exactly what we needed. Was really happy when got him!

2015 - 16th overall
Who I wanted: Thomas Chabot (GP 133 : Pts 79)
Who we drafted: TRADED for Griffin

McDavid was a no Brainer at 1 so i had my sights set on a piece we needed for the future to support the team down the road. Lots of great options available but Chabot seemed like a guy who should be top 10 (clearly shows now he should have been at least a bit higher). Edmonton gets a sweep in the draft the future is set! ........

2016 - 4th overall
Who I wanted: Matthew Tkatchuk (GP:224 Pts: 174) (6th Overall)

I,m not saying i didn,t want Puljujarvi, i just believed he was going to be unavailable. I liked the grit Tkachuk brought, he had a scoring resume and wasn,t afraid to get in dirty areas, something we were lacking at the time. feel like the Oilers BPA is starting to kill us slowly as i am doing this write up. I was also very vocal about a trade down in hopes to land one of Serg or McAvoy

2017 -22nd Overall
Who I wanted: Eeli Tolvanen (GP:7 Pts: 2)

Was more then happy grabbing Yama, but i had hoped grabbing Tolvanen. This kid seemed like he was going to be a sniper when he crossed over i pictured him firing one timer after one timer of McDavids passes. I was worried about Yamamotos size. Time will tell.
BONUS Had really really wanted to grab DeBrincat or Girard in the second

2016 - 4th overall
Who I wanted: Oliver Wahlstrom(GP:0 Pts: 0) (11th Overall)

Simply put i thought the D worth landing were gone so i went after what we lacked a goal scorer. Im much happier with the Bouchard steal

2019 - Not up to date enough unually a draft hound but time has been spent else where i hear alot of Cozen noise so ill lean there until I dig into it more. BOLD PREDICT Kakko should go #1 but wont

Reactions: MettleMcOiler

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
2009 - 10th Overall

Really felt we needed to grab a D this year and loved the offence he brought forward, Knowing OEL wasn't going to be available i picked what i believe was the next best

2010 - 1st Overall

Loved is skating power and he semed to have a bit of an ego which i liked at the time looked like the Oilers needed some swagger added. Not much more to say other then an unfortunate ending.

2011 - 1st Overall

Loved his hockey IQ he looked like a perfect piece to complement the team, two way player my hope was a Bergeron mini

2012 - 1st Overall

Oh i cant tell you how bad I wanted the Oilers to trade back into the mass of D. Again we had a glaring weakness and thought it was a great draft to gain an asset and grab a great D, Trouba, Rielly, Dumba all would have been great picks (Dumba was my next favorite). I know not to over think the picks and take the BPA but oilers needed depth not another #1 this year. Pick ended up to be our worst in years

2013 - 7th Overall

He seemed to be hands and feet above the rest of the players in IQ, played both ends of the ice and lots of talent. Seeing he was picked right ahead of us my next pick would have been Horvat but knew we were going with a D because we made some bad choices years prior.

2014 - 3rd Overall

Really wanted to draft Draisaitl. Built like a tank and everyone raved about his hockey IQ. The fact he was center was exactly what we needed. Was really happy when got him!

2015 - 16th overall

McDavid was a no Brainer at 1 so i had my sights set on a piece we needed for the future to support the team down the road. Lots of great options available but Chabot seemed like a guy who should be top 10 (clearly shows now he should have been at least a bit higher). Edmonton gets a sweep in the draft the future is set! ........

2016 - 4th overall

I,m not saying i didn,t want Puljujarvi, i just believed he was going to be unavailable. I liked the grit Tkachuk brought, he had a scoring resume and wasn,t afraid to get in dirty areas, something we were lacking at the time. feel like the Oilers BPA is starting to kill us slowly as i am doing this write up. I was also very vocal about a trade down in hopes to land one of Serg or McAvoy

2017 -22nd Overall

Was more then happy grabbing Yama, but i had hoped grabbing Tolvanen. This kid seemed like he was going to be a sniper when he crossed over i pictured him firing one timer after one timer of McDavids passes. I was worried about Yamamotos size. Time will tell.

2016 - 4th overall

Simply put i thought the D worth landing were gone so i went after what we lacked a goal scorer. Im much happier with the Bouchard steal

2019 - Not up to date enough unually a draft hound but time has been spent else where i hear alot of Cozen noise so ill lean there until I dig into it more. BOLD PREDICT Kakko should go #1 but wont
2009 - 10th Overall

2010 - 1st Overall

2011 - 1st Overall

2012 - 1st Overall

2013 - 7th Overall

2014 - 3rd Overall

2015 - 16th overall

2016 - 4th overall

2017 -22nd Overall

2016 - 4th overall

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Underlined player - Bust
Italicised player - Poor development but could turn it around

Players I wanted that I figured would be around our pick:

2009: Ryan Ellis or Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson
2010: Taylor Hall
2011: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins or Adam Larsson, neutral about #19
2012: Nail Yakupov
2013: Elias Lindholm or Rasmus Ristolainen
2014: Leon Draisaitl
2015: Connor McDavid, Ilya Samsonov
2016: Mikhail Sergachev or Jesse Puljujarvi
2017: Kailer Yamamoto or Kristian Vesalainen
2018: Jesper Boqvist or Evan Bouchard

Players that I really wanted us to trade up for or for us to acquire another pick as they were falling:
2010: Cam Fowler, Vladimir Tarasenko, Evegeni Kuznetsov, Emerson Etem
2011: Dougie Hamilton, Ryan Murphy
2012: Filip Forsberg, Mikhail Grigorenko, Teuvo Teravainen
2013: Aleksander Barkov, Anthony Mantha
2014: Kasperi Kapanen
2015: I'll admit it--I thought Griffin Reinhart could be a good second-pairing player and that Barzal wouldn't be able to score
2016: Charlie McAvoy, Jakob Chychrun
2017: Cal Foote, Timothy Liljegren

Last edited:

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
2009- Scott Glennie (yikes)
2010- Taylor Hall
2011 - RNH/Klefbom (worked out great)
2012- Yakupov
2013- Monahan
2014- Draisaitl
2015- McDavid/Barzal when he was available
2016- Dubois until Pulju dropped
2017- Meh, pretty indifferent
2018- Whoever dropped/not Ty Smith

Hoping for Byram in 2019 unless we win lottery

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Honestly I've been pretty happy with who we've drafted in the first round..

I wanted Ristolainen instead of Nurse. I thought Risto looked like a beast in the World Juniors.
I think i might have taken Sam Bennett.. just because of his compete level.
I wanted Kyle Connor with the Reinhart pick.
I was happy with Puljujarvi dropping to us.. but if he didn't I wanted Tkachuk.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Underlined player - Bust
Italicised player - Poor development but could turn it around

Second rounders!!

2009: Jakob Silfverberg, Anton Lander
2010: Tyler Pitlick, Alex Petrovic (but in an earlier post, I mentioned wanting to trade up for Kuznetsov then Etem)
2011: Rocco Grimaldi or Tomas Jurco (Jurco had horrible, horrible development)
2012: No one--I hated this round
2013: Niclas Petan or Tyler Bertuzzi
2015: Oliver Kylington, Jordan Greenway, Jeremy Roy
2016: Alex DeBrincat
2017: Maxime Comtois
2018: Jesse Ylonen, Michael McLeod

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
2009- Ellis
2010- Hall
2011-RNH, klefbom
2012-Yakupov
2013-Horvat (but we needed D, so I understood nurse)
2014-Draisaitl
2015-McDavid, Barzal
2016-Tkachuk
2017-Frost
2018-Dobson

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
2009- MPS
2010- Hall
2011-Couturier
2012-Yakupov
2013-Monahan
2014-Draisaitl
2015-McDavid
2016-Chychrun or Sergachev
2017-Yamamoto
2018-Dobson or Smith
2019 - I want Turcotte or Byram (no way we'll get them), I think we'll draft Dach.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
2008 - Slava Voynov
2009 - Ryan Ellis (Worst draft choice in MPS at the time in my opinion since we needed a Dman after Pronger)
2010 - Taylor Hall
2011 - RNH (wanted a #1 desperately)
2012 - Ryan Murray/Yakupov (T0 be honest, I didn't care about who we picked since I wanted us to trade the pick)
2013 - Darnell Nurse (very ecstatic with this pick even though Risto would have been great)
2014 - Leon Draisaitl (Loved this pick. Big Centre with a high level of skill and hockey iq)
2015 - Jack Eichel :sarcasm: Joking MCDAVID. When we won the draft lottery I literally fell onto the floor crying and howling with happiness. Also wanted Kyle Connor with the pick we traded for Griffin Reinfart
2016 - Either Mikhail Sergachyov or wanted us to trade down for Dante Fabbro. Didn't expect JP to fall
2017 - Kailer Yamamoto
2018 - Evan Bouchard

My pick for 2019

2019 - Kirby Dach or Bowen Byram

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
2008 - 22nd Overall
Who I wanted: Indifferent
Who we drafted: Jordan Eberle
Didn’t follow the draft a tonne this year, but was happy with the pick
2009 - 10th Overall
Who I wanted: Kulikov
Who we drafted: Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson

I really wanted Kulikov that year but thought we’d end up picking Glennie, Kulikov was touted around the 7 range and I thought we’d get a solid pick at 9

2010 - 1st Overall
Who I wanted: Hall
Who we drafted: Taylor Hall

Couldn’t believe at the time people were suggesting taking Seguin, Hall was BPA, but I went to draft party that year and remember them suggesting on the screen we were trying to acquire the second pick to pick sequin as well but Boston wanted Eberle, who was a stud at the time, Eberle was there too signing autographs and it was really awkward

2011 - 1st Overall
Who I wanted: Hopkins

We needed a center and he was the BPA, we needed defense more but not enough to pass on him

2012 - 1st Overall
Who I wanted: Trade the ******* pick

I just wanted us to move the pick, I was so sick of high draft picks and we needed defense. Even that year the class was viewed as weak, they could have gotten a haul for it, this is one decision I did have right at the time over management
2013 - 7th Overall
Who I wanted: Monahan

I really really wanted Monahan at the time, he was projecting to be a high end two way C at the time, and was expected to go in the top 5 if I can recall correct. As he got closer to us though I knew we needed defense but we had to go BPA, once Calgary got him I let out a nice ****.

2014 - 3rd Overall

Also really wanted Drai, had a lot of comparisons to Thornton and kopitar in his draft year, everyone wanted us to pick Bennet as he was supposedly in the conversation for 1st overall which I didn’t get. Glad Calgary botched that

Who I wanted: Hanifin

As your wrote above literally everyone in Edmonton didn’t give a ****, much like right now everyone was tired of losing and ready to put managements head on a stick. But Hanifin was touted as that elusive number 1 D we had failed to get so I wanted him till we won the lottery, and much like you wrote this instilled a new hope and excitement that made everyone forget of the constant rebuilding
2016 - 4th overall
Who I wanted: Trade it

Wanted it traded, once again I was sick of high picks, that were obviously not working and seen the drop off from the top 3 as something we shouldn’t be waiting for. But I was thrilled when Pulju dropped. Still waiting on the pick, I think he ends up a player but it won’t be here
2017 -22nd Overall
Who I wanted: Kailer Yamamoto
Who we drafted: Kailer Yamamoto
Was rumored before the draft we wanted him, was expecting us to move up to get him, still waiting to see with this pick as well
2016 - 4th overall
Who I wanted: Quinn Hughes

Thought for sure Hughes would go around number 3, when he started falling abit I was yelling at my TV, Edmonton move the **** up and get him. Your telling me they couldn’t convince Arizona to move down for Hayton who was projected around 15? He looks like a stud already. Didn’t love the Bouch pick, but he was definitely the better pick over Dobson if you were going for D, but I wanted Wahlstrom when the pick got to us. Hopefully Bouch proves me wrong

As for this draft I just don’t care, I think Byram would be a stud, but we don’t have 2-3 years of waiting for these guys to even start to try to crack the NHL anymore. I’ve completely lost interest in the team and am 99 percent sure we will be pick top 10 again next year. I mean look at this track record, we’re doomed to suck forever

Last edited:

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Didn’t follow the 09 draft.

2010 - Hall
2011 - Nuge / Oleksiak
2012 - Grigorenko (although I hadn’t gotten to watch Rielly until the year after the draft, and immediately flipped after seeing him play)
2013 - Pulock (trade down)
2014 - Draisaitl
2015 - McDavid / Barzal
2016 - Sergachev
2017 - Liljegren (trade up) or Yamamoto
2018 - Wahlstrom or Smith (didn’t think Bouchard would drop to us)

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012
Who I wanted: Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson
Who we got: Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson

I figured this kid would be what Draisaitl is for us today.

Who I wanted: ?
Who we got: Taylor Hall

It was a toss-up for me here, I ended up going for Taylor Hall. I weighed each player, Seguin being the Center we needed but Hall being the more dynamic player. Happy we got Hall though.

Who I wanted: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins / Adam Larsson
Who we got: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

I wanted both RNH and Adam Larsson at the draft. I too thought AL was going to be a stud dman from Sweden along the likes of Hedman. Happy with the RNH selection though

Who I wanted: Ryan Murray
Who we got: Nail Yakupov

It was pretty obvious that we needed defensemen, and Ryan Murray, to me, would've been the better selection. I was still happy with Yakupov but he wasn't what we needed. One of Murray, Rielly, Lindholm, Dumba, or Trouba would've been better selections (Shivers at who was selected #4). I secretly wanted Vasilevskiy, hoping the team would acquire a second 1st rounder.

Who I wanted: Sean Monahan
Who we got: Darnell Nurse

Damn those Flamers!
I was probably in the minority here. I thought an RNH / Monahan 1-2 punch down the middle would be sweet. Monahan got no love from our fanbase as a potential selection.

Who I wanted: Leon Draisaitl
Who we got: Leon Draisaitl

The big skilled center we've needed since Arnott. It was not even close as to who I wanted. Not Bennett, not Reinhart. A part of me wanted Ekblad, but it was Drai all the way.

Who I wanted: Connor McDavid
Who we got: Connor McDavid

I was HOPING we'd piss everyone off and win, and we did! I missed the actual lottery show as I was taking a nap (got the time of the lottery confused)

Who I wanted: Jesse Puljujarvi
Who we got: Jesse Puljujarvi

Kid was billed as a future goal scoring star. I remember watching youtube highlights of the kid, and thinking "Man, I can't wait to see him do this on Connor's or Leon's wing". It hasn't materialized yet, but I still believe the kid will be an impact winger.

Who I wanted: Timothy Liljegren / Kristian Vesalainen / Ryan Poehling
Who we got: Kailer Yamamoto

Liljegren was my most wanted. If we didn't get him, I wanted one of Vesalainen or Poehling. I didn't think Yamo was the right pick. He has struggled a little bit adjusting to the AHL game, although to be fair, we didn't give him the Eberle treatment, where we sent Yamo to the AHL after each of his 2 junior seasons after being drafted.

Who I wanted: Oliver Wahlstrom / Adam Boqvist
Who we got: Evan Bouchard

Even when we don't win, we win; never thought Bouchard would fall. I wanted Wahlstrom as that goal-scoring winger. If we couldn't have gotten him, I would've gone with the offensive dman (assuming Bouchard isn't available, mind you)

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
2009- Da Haan
2010- Taylor Hall
2011 - Couterier
2012- Yakupov(I hate myself for this...stupid, stupid, stupid)
2013- Risto or Morin
2014- Draisaitl
2015- McDavid/Chabot when he was available
2016- Dubois all day. Then Tkatchuk or Sergy. I was never happy w/ the JP pick from day 1. No idea why, but just never was exited for him even immediately after and forced myself to watch his highlights
2017- Yamo
2018- Bouchard. AINEC...well, this ain't true. Was kinda hoping Kravtsov fell but a dman was always in the cards, so Bouchard baby!

I'm gonna be the unpopular one here but hoping either Podkolzin or Cozens fall to us. Byram will be gone unless we move up in the lotto

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Honestly, the Oilers drafted every 1st round player that I would have (although to be fair, I don't follow junior hockey much outside of the WJC and scouting reports from this board).

The only real issue I have with the Oilers' use of 1st round picks was the brain-dead Reinhart trade (where they should have selected Barzal instead of their rumored targets).

Also, Klefbom should have been included. I remember quite a few of us wanting Mark McNeill (whoops!) And being disappointed when he went to Chicago, but after he was gone, I mostly wanted Klefbom.

The 2nd round, on the other hand, is where I would have done a few picks differently.

2009 - who we selected: Lander
Who I wanted: I wanted Silfverberg, but after he went the pick before, I was ok with Lander.

2010 - who we selected: Pitlick, Marincin and Hamilton. Honestly, I was pretty happy with all these picks. Too bad that none really turned out as expected.

2011 - who we selected: David Musil
I was pretty livid with the team over this pick, especially with Boone Jenner sitting on the board. It screamed of a nepotism pick, Musil hadn't really developed at all in his pre-draft year, and Jenner was a strong 2 way C that we needed.

2012 - who we selected: Moroz
I didn't hate this pick as much as most of HF did. He was a gamble, but unlike the previous 2nd round coke machines we drafted in the 2000s, he could play a bit. Also, it seemed like a pretty weak draft at the time. The guy I liked more was our 4th pick, Zharkov. Another whoops.

2013 - who we selected: Marc-Olivier Roy
I wanted the team to keep the earlier pick that they traded and go with Tristan Jarry.

2014 - no 2nd round pick. Who I would have gone with had we kept the pick: Christian Dvorak.

2015 - no 2nd round pick (damn you Chiarelli!). Who I would have gone with: Brandon Carlo.

2016 - who we selected: Benson. I was pretty happy with this pick.

2017 - no 2nd round pick (thanks to signing Chiarelli). Who I would have gone with: Fabian Zetterlund.

2018 - who we selected: Ryan McLeod and Rodrigue. I liked the McLeod pick. No idea who I would have picked in the Rodrigue spot.

McKappa

philip bruhberg
Oct 16, 2011
Edmonton
I'm only gonna include prospects that were still on the board by the time we were picking since it's pointless to ponder over people who we didn't even have a chance to pick.

Also I'm pretty young and have only been following the draft hardcore since 2012 so I'll start there.

2012 - 1st Overall
Who I wanted: Nail Yakupov
Who we drafted: Nail Yakupov

I would have been really upset if we had picked on Yakupov and I am also an idiot, not much here to be said. Wanted the consensus BPA and he turned out to be a bust :/

2013 - 7th Overall
Who I wanted: Valeri Nichushkin
Who we drafted: Darnell Nurse

This was during a time when I wanted some size and toughness for the Oilers, back when people actually believed that stuff mattered. His tantalizing package of size and speed made me overlook his clear hockey IQ deficiencies since I was so desperate to have a power forward on our team. Regardless, I was quite content with Nurse being our pick, just preferred Nuke a little more. Turns out that Nuke was a bust and Nurse has developed into a solid #2/3, very happy with the result of this one and I'm very glad to be wrong.

2014 - 3rd Overall
Who I wanted: Leon Draisaitl
Who we drafted: Leon Draisaitl

Was a tad bit concerned about Draisaitl's skating but after watching some junior tape on him I always thought the concerns were overblown. There definitely was a time period where I would have preferred Sam Bennett, but by the time draft day came around I was fully on the Draisaitl train, he seemed to have had the best hockey sense in the draft and the comparisons to Kopitar and Thornton made me drool. He has surpassed every expectation I have had of him (thought he would produce similarly to RNH is rn), so very happy with this one too. (This is making me realize how bad our late round drafting is, since we actually seem to land the right pick more often than you would think).

2015 - 1st overall
Who I wanted: Connor McDavid
Who we drafted: Connor McDavid

If we had remained at third I would have wanted ethier Hanifin or Marner, probably liked Marner a little more. I do remember distinctly not liking Strome a lot. Everyone in this draft became a superstar regardless so we probably would have gotten a very good player at 3 regardless of who we picked.

2015 - 16th overall
Who I wanted: Matthew Barzal
Who we drafted: traded for Reinhart xd

I didn't even know what to do with myself anymore, not only did Barzal fall to us but we now had the choice between Barzal AND Kyle Connor! I was pretty much 51% for Barzal and 49% for Connor. But then we traded this pick for expansion bait hehehe xd.

2016 - 4th overall
Who I wanted: Jesse Puljujarvi
Who we drafted: Jesse Puljujarvi

I was beyond happy to pick Puljujarvi, I was definitely one of the people who thought there was a big 3 in the draft, with Matthews, Laine, and Pulju, I was enamored with Pulju ever since the world juniors and thought he was the second coming of Marian Hossa. Turned out to be our worst pick since Yakupov hehe (still holding out a little hope for him).

2017 -22nd Overall
Who I wanted: Kailer Yamamoto
Who we drafted: Kailer Yamamoto

Loved everything about the Yamamoto pick, in a draft that I believed was weak I wanted to pick a high upside player like Yamamoto to maximize our chance of getting a top 6 forward on an elc to play with McDavid. Not much to say about this pick right now, there were better players available but its too early to call this one a Bad pick

2018 - 4th overall
Who I wanted: Noah Dobson
Who we drafted: Evan Bouchard

My opinion on this pick remains the same as my opinion from a year ago. I thought the 2 were near equals as prospects, but I believed Bouchard had a higher bust potential but also a higher offensive ceiling. We desperately needed and still need a true PP QB so I understood the logistics of making this pick. Still a little concerned about Bouchard's defensive abilites but I'm ok with this pick for now. Dobson would have definitely been a less stressful prospect to have tho.

Who I want: Alex Turcotte
Who we will draft: Kirby Dach

Assuming that we stay in the 7-8 range. I believe that there is a clear second tier in this draft with Turcotte, Zegras, Byram, Dach, Podkolzin, and Cozens. Turcotte and Zegras are my favourite of that group but I would be happy with any one of them(Podkolzin and Cozens both scare me a little tho). Since the Oilers scout the WHL heavily I feel like we are gonna end up with Dach, a similar prospect to Draisaitl who has terrific hockey sense but lacks a little acceleration and explosiveness (A bigger concern than it was 5 years ago).

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
My only differences from the OP were -
2011 - I wanted Mark McNeill but Chicago took him at 17. I had no idea who Klefbom was
2016 - I still wanted Tkachuk even though I knew(thought) Puljujarvi was the smarter choice when he dropped

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
So here's the deal. I think every one of us want to be good judges of talent. There are some here that seem to know better than most, so here is an opportunity to flex your track record.
(Obviously, a better indication would be an entire draft to properly judge, but this is just for fun so were only doing the 1st round)

Rules:

-Name the prospect that you were scouting and wanted to pick during a specific draft.
-Name the actual prospect that was selected.
-Write their NHL GP and point totals since being drafted
- Optional: Write side notes you want describing your train of thought during that time.

And finally, be honest. I think it is good to reflect and take ownership of both your good and bad choices.

2008 - 22nd Overall
Who I wanted: Jordan Eberle (GP: 665 Pts: 478)
Who we drafted: Jordan Eberle (GP: 665 Pts: 478)

He was projected around our pick. I was little biased with Eberle because he grew up an Oiler fan. So, kinda wanted to see the kid live his dream.

2009 - 10th Overall
Who I wanted: Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson (GP: 466 Pts: 124)

I remember liking his size and and his skillset that some scouts compared them to Forsberg. I was hoping he would slide from the top 7 that he was projected. Pretty happy when he did. Didn't turn out the way we wanted.

In 2012, I went to the Prospects game in Halifax. Morgan Reilly was to me the best player out there. Yak wasn't even in the top 5 that night, maybe not top 10. Too bad, Reilly had a bad injury that year. He would look some good here now flying up with McDavid. It would be similar to Coffey and Gretzky

2010 - 1st Overall
Who I wanted: Tyler Sequin (GP: 670 Pts: 582) (2nd Overall)

They were both compared to be equal in talent and skill. Though Hall was projected more highly. At the time we were starving for centers on our team. It was a tough call because Hall was from Alberta, and who wouldn't want a 1st overall draft pick homegrown in your province. But I secretly was leaning towards Sequin. I thought he would solved our center issues if we drafted him. They both turned out to be great players. Crazy how both were traded by Chia.

2011 - 1st Overall
Who I wanted: Adam Larsson (GP: 497 Pts: 121) (4th Overall)

I really liked the scouting reports on Larsson. Swedish media and scouts were raving that he was the best defencemen coming out of the country since Lidstrom. That he was like Hedman with more of a mean streak. Very bittersweet moment when we got him through trade for Hall. Hasn't lived up to his draft potential but still a very serviceable NHLer. I'm definitely supporting him while he wears oiler silks and definitely don't put undue blame on him for the trade. That belongs to Chia.
Oilers made the better draft choice in Nugent-Hopkins compared to my pick.

Edit: Totally forgot about the 19th overall
2011 - 19th Overall
Who I wanted: Oscar Klefbom (GP: 315Pts: 121)
Who we drafted: Oscar Klefbom (GP: 315Pts: 121)

Called this one during the draft , I surprised my roomates at the time when they selected him. Was really hoping that he was still there at our pick. When he was still on the board., I knew the oilers were going to select him. I remember Detroit was really high on him, they immediately traded down after we drafted for him.

2012 - 1st Overall
Who I wanted: Nail Yakupov (GP:350 Pts: 136)

Everything you've read about this kid, he was projected to be superstar. Just consensus overall. There was talk about getting Murray but I really did want Yakupov and really wanted him to succeed. I do believe how the oilers handled him affected his game. Disappointed how things turned out.

2013 - 7th Overall
Who I wanted: Seth Jones (GP:466 Pts: 228) (4th Overall)

He was projected to possibly be picked 1st overall. Seth Jones just seemed like the perfect Defencemen for this team. I really hoping he would fall. He did, but obviously would never have reached 7. Definitely a pipe dream.

2014 - 3rd Overall

Really wanted to draft Draisaitl. Built like a tank and everyone raved about his hockey IQ. The fact he was a center was exactly what we needed. Was really happy when got him!

Who I wanted: (N/A)

I need to be honest here. I was at a low point. We had a ****ty season and another high draft pick. I actually really didn't care who we picked. I wasn't even paying attention to prospects during the year but I showed up to watch the lottery anyways. I never dreamed that we would win and draft 1st a 4th time. (Actually didn't want that distinction, we were reaching laughing stock heights then too)I still can't really believe we have Connor McDavid. It literally sparked renewed excitement for the team. We have to make sure not to lose this kid. This was a miracle for the the oilers.

Edit:Forgot this one too
2015 - 16th Overall (Traded)

I didn't even consider picking anyone in this spot. I remember their was smoke before the draft that they were going to use it to try upgrade a position. So, I dimissed it and never really considered anyone to pick. I do wish we kept it now on hindsight but sounds like they would of picked Eriksson Ek.

2016 - 4th overall
Who I wanted: Mikhail Sergachev (GP:158 Pts: 72) (9th Overall)

I really thought we needed to get another top-end defencemen. Sergachev seemed to have a excellent toolset that would been great for this team. When Puljujarvi dropped I was ecstatic, but deep down suspicious. He was considered unanimous a top 3 pick. Immediately thought of the Kevin Costner move Draft day. I am holding on hope that Puljujarvi will turn out but he is definitely a question mark coming on his draft +4 year. Sergachev might have been better for us.

2017 -22nd Overall
Who I wanted: Kailer Yamamoto (GP:26 Pts: 5)

Smaller RW forward that had a engine that could and put up great numbers for his size. Suppose to score goals. I was hoping he was going to be our replacement for Jordan Eberle. Plus his name is awesome. Still has time to live up to his potential as a top 6 forward.

2016 - 4th overall
Who I wanted: Adam Boqvist (GP:0 Pts: 0) (8th Overall)

Boqvist was being compared to E. Karlsson. He was very intriguing and I really wanted the oilers to pick him. I didn't know much about Bouchard because originally he was projected to go way higher, I didn't think he would be where we picked, but the more I researched him after we drafted him I became a big fan of his. I am really excited for him and the more I've read, I think we got a steal. I think both Boqvist and Bouchard are going to be to be very good players.

Who I want: Bowen Byram
Who we will draft: Peyton Krebs

This is based on not winning the lottery. I'm not going to predict who we pick higher if we win the lottery because it hasn't happened so I am sticking to our projected position.

After seeing our defence for the last couple years. I am still very much okay in focusing in getting blue chip defence in the draft. I believe developing quality defence and trading them for wingers will be the way to go and obviously keeping the best defencemen on your team. I really think Byram will become a number 1. This is what the oilers need desperately. But I don't think he will make it to our pick and I think the oilers will choose a very good and safe player in Peyton Krebs.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
had to repost

In 2012, I went to prospects game in Halifax. To me, Yakupov wasn't even in the top 10 that night. Morgan Reilly was very impressive. Can you imagine him following McJesus over the blue line like Coffey and Gretzky did. Too bad he was injured that year

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
2009-Ellis (never liked MPS, and to this day, am still baffled how posters were so excited)
Actually originally wanted Kadri, but when TO grabbed him, I wanted Ellis.
2010 - Hall
2011 - Nuge
2012 -I wanted the pick to traded for help.
2013 - Nurse
2014 - Draisaitl
2015 - McDavid / Colin White
2016 -Dubois ( was pissed when CBJ took him)
2017 - Yamamoto
2018 - Q.Hughes (Knew Quinn wouldn't drop to us, happy with the Bouchard pick)

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Looks like my post just quoted others before and didnt have my list. I've been big into the draft since the oilers had 3 first round picks in 2007, despite it being a bad year.

Ive been on record as picking:

2007: Voracek
2008: Carlson
2009: MPS
2010: Seguin
2011: RNH, Klefbom
2012: Yakupov / Dumba
2013: Nurse
2014: Bennett
2015: McDavid / Barzal
2016: Puljujarvai
2017: Poehling
2018: Bouchard

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
So I'm going to start with 2007

#6 - Jakub Voracek
#15 - Ian Cole/Mikael Backlund
#21 - Mikael Backlund (I was so excited when they traded up because I thought they were taking Backlund, but no it was Riley Nash)

#22 - John Carlson

#10 - Magnus Paajarvii
#40 - Nobody specific but this is the first year I started to pay more attention to prospects slated to go later than the first round and Anton Lander seemed like a poor choice here.

#1 - Tyler Seguin
#31 - Ryan Spooner
#46 - Greg Mckegg

#1 - RNH
#19 - Oscar Klefbom (I was thrilled the Oilers actually picked a player I wanted)
#31 - Boone Jenner
#62 - Adam Lowry

#1 - Alex Galchenyuk
#32 - Colton Sissons

#7 - Valeri Nichushkin (what I actually wanted was for them to trade down and take Bo Horvat or Alex Wennberg, but barring that I would have been happy with Nichushkin at #7)
#37 - Valentin Zykov

#3 - Sam Bennett (I liked Draisaitl a lot too but thought Bennett's previous chemistry with McDavid might provide something special)

#1 - Connor McDavid
#16 - Travis Konecny
#33 - Brandon Carlo

#4 - Olli Juolevi (I was actually expecting Dubois to be available here and would have picked him if he was. Didn't want that little prick Tkachuk on the Oilers and thought Puljujarvii was overrated. Would have been fine with Sergachev here too but liked Juolevi better, and would have been happy trading back.)
#32 - Philip Gustavsson/Kale Clague (I would have been okay with trading down here too as I also liked Boris Katchouk, Adam Mascherin, Jordan Kyrou, Taylor Raddysh, Cliff Pu and Joseph Woll and would have been happy with two of these players)

#22 - Henri Jokiharju (Would have traded back a few picks to get a second rounder with the hopes of getting Jokiharju and Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen or Jaret Andersson-Dolan)

#10 - Noah Dobson
#40 - Akil Thomas (I was okay with McLeod here but would have preferred Thomas)
#62 - Would not have traded up for Rodrigue, would have kept picks #71 and #133

So there are a few picks where the Oilers picked better than me but overall I think I picked better. Of course that being said if they would have picked better pre-2015 they wouldn't have gotten McDavid in all likelihood, and missing on Draisaitl is a big miss.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->