Your cell phone... your mobile wallet

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/24/technology/24wallet.html?_r=1

An interesting look at the technology and politics behind the scenes of allowing current/future generations of cell phones to be used as a replacement for credit/debit cards.

It might revolutionize concessions and merchandise sales at a local rink (and hockey equipment store) near you.

I can imagine current NHL sponsors involved in this perhaps fighting for an exclusive deal.

Pretty cool, only a matter of time.

For any moviegoers you can put your Scene Card on your smart phone.

Didn't know that, must find out more.

I used to work there and I did not know it myself. A guest came up to me and I just scanned their phone!

Everything is moving there, but I think a lot would have to change for this type of technology to become the standard.

I have an unlimited data plan, but I cannot imagine the masses go out and sign new contracts etc. just to pay via mobile device.

That's an easy hurdle to jump, but I could see carriers leverage it to sell more data plans.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
I believe this technology exists in Japan. I was travelling in 2007 and met a girl who had her credit card info and drivers licence info embedded in her cell phone. So she said.

Eaglepride*

Personally Iwould never ever do that. Reasons

You're giving them your handy number risk of getting sms advertisements and other stupid stuff. Aslo you would lose control immediately. Thats why I prefer good ol' cash you have more control.

I think smartphones are becoming way to hybrid for my likings. Don't get me wrong I'll buy the Torch soon but won't using it for anything else than calls, sms and some surfing.

RECCE

The Dog House
Apr 29, 2010
Margaritaville
how do you pay for something if your battery dies?

By washing dishes? :sarcasm:

Seriously though, if I had 1% left on my smartphone I wouldn't be making a purchase, there is some responsibility that has to be transferred to the consumer I'd say.

Good points as well, EP.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Apparently there's a special chip needed to do the near field sensory stuff.

Not sure which, if any, of the current phones on the market -- smart phone or other -- have the technology.

But I can bet there will be Android, iPhone and Blackberry versions available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad