Your Call: Is Phaneuf Worth a Max-Term Contract?

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
not for the flyers. Id rather have coburn than phaneuf. IN terms of playing their man coburn is worlds better. Phaneuf is a decent passer witha great shot but he is very slow and is always out of position.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
No. If they're gonna go max term at a high price I'd like it to be for someone more consistent than Phaneuf. He has a strong tendency to go full moron every now and then.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
not for the flyers. Id rather have coburn than phaneuf. IN terms of playing their man coburn is worlds better. Phaneuf is a decent passer witha great shot but he is very slow and is always out of position.

I've always thought that Coburn and Phaneuf would make an excellent pairing. He's very underrated by non Leafs fans but obviously overrated by Leafs fans. Sure they may get pissed at him but then they turn around and make him sound like Jesus on ice.

I would let Kimmo walk and Mez walk (they combine for 10.5 mil in cap space) for Dion as long as it isn't 8 yrs which I imagine is what it would cost to bring him here. 5 yrs I could live with.

Hartnell getting moved would also make things easier both monetarily and in the clubhouse. Though I think I recall hearing Luke and him didn't get along very well either.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
No.

Although I hope to land one of him or Girardi this off-season. The Streit signing already has me upset.

JayB

May 30, 2012
I could do it. Think that as fast rebuilt in one summer. Let Mezzy go,offer Timonen very cheap(under 3milj) contract for 3 pairing job,trade Coburn for winger (in package) or picks,then just put your cash to Girardi and Phaneuff.

Streit-Phaneuff
Grossman-Girardi
Timonen-Schenn

Last edited:

CTU2fan

Jul 12, 2009
Why not? Cap is going up, Mez is coming off the books, Kimmo is coming off most likely too. We are talking about paying him til he's 36, that isn't really an issue. I don't love Phaneuf and he's certainly not what everyone has in mind when they talk about "we need a #1 Dman", but those guys don't really hit UFA and they tend to command an overpay if you want to trade for one.

I'd rather they explored the availability of guys like Yandle, Edler, maybe Enstrom, maybe Green if you buy that he just needs a change of scenery (I'm not sure I do, but it's possible) before going all-in on Phaneuf, but I don't mind Dion as a "plan B".

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Why not? Cap is going up, Mez is coming off the books, Kimmo is coming off most likely too. We are talking about paying him til he's 36, that isn't really an issue. I don't love Phaneuf and he's certainly not what everyone has in mind when they talk about "we need a #1 Dman", but those guys don't really hit UFA and they tend to command an overpay if you want to trade for one.

I'd rather they explored the availability of guys like Yandle, Edler, maybe Enstrom, maybe Green if you buy that he just needs a change of scenery (I'm not sure I do, but it's possible) before going all-in on Phaneuf, but I don't mind Dion as a "plan B".

I would do the Dion signing AND look to add a Edler for Simmonds + 2nd.

Dion Coburn
Grossmann Edler
Schenn Streit
Gus

Of course, if Kimmo wants to come back at 3 mill..then fine...don't do the Simmonds deal

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
No and yes. Phanuef as a player does warrant the contract he will get. However, for the Flyers it makes a ton of sense. The Flyers defense will be getting a lot cheaper in the near future as the prospects start getting added to the team. So entry level contracts plus bridge deals and those guys won't be making any real money for 5 or 6 years. Plus Pronger's contract will be ending. As far as forwards, only Voracek looks like he will be the only one commanding big dollars any time soon. So the Flyers could add Phanuef, not give up any assets in a trade, and not really hurt their cap situation.

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
I don't know. If it's a sub 6.0 caphit then I'd be okay long term. Anything over just seems like a contract the Flyers will regret. Not that I think Phanuef isn't good or will rapidly decline but signing him to a big contract seems like a burden. It helps our defense next year and in the short term but an again Phanuef might not look too good in a couple of years.

Coburn - Phanuef
Streit - Grossmann
Gustafsson - Schenn

That's pretty good for the next 2-3 years honestly.

Last edited:

kicksave27

Nov 29, 2007
I haven't watched much of him over the years. But what the heck happened, the first few years in the league he was a stud. Seems like the same thing kinda happened with Myers and Coburn. Did teams just figure him out (which happens with goalies).

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I don't know. If it's a sub 6.0 caphit then I'd be okay long term. Anything over just seems like a contract the Flyers will regret. Not that I think Phanuef isn't good or will rapidly decline but signing him to a big contract seems like a burden.

He will be getting at least in the $7+ cap hit if not more. It would be significantly less as a percentage of cap of what Brian Campbell got when he was signed by Chicago. There are lots of people who said that contract was burdensome but signing Campbell took a lot of pressure off Keith and Seabrook and let them continue to develop. The signing also put the Hawks into the conference finals and to a cup a year later. So does signing Phanuef allow the Flyers prospects to continue to develop organically while also getting the Flyers a step closer to the cup? Under 8, I say yes.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I haven't watched much of him over the years. But what the heck happened, the first few years in the league he was a stud. Seems like the same thing kinda happened with Myers and Coburn. Did teams just figure him out (which happens with goalies).

He's still potting over 10+ goals & hovering around .50PPG mark each season unlike Myers & Coburn though. He regressed offensively from his first few seasons in the NHL but he's still pretty damn productive back there.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
1. No way you can get Dion for less then $7M & 7yrs.
2. people overstate the Dion/Hartnell locker room issues. They are professionals. Plenty of guys have fought And been team mates. Lindros played on a team with Barnaby, Kasparitis and Holik.
3. I wouldn't hate them getting him.

Dion - Coburn
Grossman - Street
Gus - Schenn

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
1. No way you can get Dion for less then $7M & 7yrs.
2. people overstate the Dion/Hartnell locker room issues. They are professionals. Plenty of guys have fought And been team mates. Lindros played on a team with Barnaby, Kasparitis and Holik.
3. I wouldn't hate them getting him.

Dion - Coburn
Grossman - Street
Gus - Schenn

He played with Ulf Samuelsson as well. :laugh:

He basically played with most of his nemeses in the NHL at one point.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I'd be interested depending on thecap hit. If he wants 6-7 years I'd be OK with it if the cap hit was reasonable. That being said, I don't see him anywhere signing for less than $7mil which is a bit risky IMO.

Philadelphia Ducks

Win it for Ed
May 8, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I like Dion and think he gets a terrible rap. But if he's really wanting 7+ million then I'd be looking elsewhere. Would love to have him on the top pairing with Coburn, but I don't think it'll happen.

Clown Baby*

The only way I don't hate this idea is come next season Streit and Meszaros aren't on this roster.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
Hmmmm "suck it Phaneuf"
he'd cost way too much, but that being said the Flyers will most likely throw stupid amounts of money and years at him

jeff leonard

Nov 6, 2013
australia
I hear yandle's name mentioned a LOT with this team, and Phaneuf is a much better player than Yandle so...yes. He's a great player and gets a ton of flak for the jersey he wears.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad