The Athletic - Boston Your Boston Brrrrruins: TD Garden will be frosty this season in pursuit of better ice

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
They all aren’t cramped - it’s apparently a few areas but not 18000

I went to 2 games so far and the seat was much better then before and plenty of leg room - I didn’t even have to stand up when people went by

I have two issues

1. no cup holder
2. I’m in seat 13 & 14 and my bud in 15 & 16. There is only one way out for the 12 people to my right

before they could go right now they will go left

they added 4 seats to row

Only the 2 people to my right would go by me - the other 6 would head to their right - this could piss me off if they are coming in and out during plays

I ain’t moving till play stops

that’s my issue too. We’re on the aisle and it was never an issue but in the new configuration people can’t get out the other way. I didn’t go to preseason so will see for myself tonight but friends we have tickets to reported back.

trying to keep an open mind but I’m already annoyed.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
that’s my issue too. We’re on the aisle and it was never an issue but in the new configuration people can’t get out the other way. I didn’t go to preseason so will see for myself tonight but friends we have tickets to reported back.

trying to keep an open mind but I’m already annoyed.
Agree - this ought to be interesting

The seats are definitely comfortable which is huge and smaller ass space which gives me more leg room I thought but I’m not in the area that has that issue

I go from 2 getting up during the period to 10. Before maybe 2 times a game now it could be 20? Yikes

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Maybe I missed where the ice had to be the last thing done, why would that be exactly?

I'm pretty sure Fenway said that they had cranes or other apparatus set up on the Garden floor to move the seats into place. (Now that I'm repeating it, it doesn't sound quite right, but I think I'm close.) That was obviously their first priority - getting the downgraded seats ready. The cranes or whatever prevented them from doing a lot of the work on the ice that they'd have to do to put in and test a new ice system. But the ice was their second priority.

It reminds me of an old saying. You can pick two: you can get it done fast, you can get it done cheap, or you can get it done right. Bruins obviously chose fast and cheap.

The TD Garden management owes not only an apology to fans, but to the Bruins players...and, in fact, all NHL players. It's frankly embarrassing for an Original Six team to have literally the worst ice in town. I'm in the "never played the game" status, but I would bet that the ice at Warrior is better. True, apples and oranges, but it's been a problem for a long time, and it hasn't been fixed.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I’ll be there tonight and am planning to wear my coat so we shall see how that goes.

where I am sitting has always been cold and if they are keeping it at 58 degrees then the area I’m sitting in will only be about 55.

I can’t stand being cold.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Is there a new seating capacity for Bruins games after the renos?

I assume there is and I’ve just missed it.

I imagine we’ll find out tonight - they have to officially report “attendance” in the NHL reports. Assuming they continue to report an inflated sell-out streak, attendance should be capacity.

That said, even the old number didn’t count all the seats, I think. Premium seats don’t count against attendance numbers.

Also, they could add more seats throughout the season. Level 9 looks like a shithole from my POV, and the top rows on the south side (301) have that weird “sports bar” thing going up.

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
Last reported it was around 18,400. But it's not confirmed yet.

18,400 might be a little high. Capacity was 17,555 and the number of seats added I've seen reported is 500 which would bring it to 18,055. I don't know why they have been keeping the new capacity number a secret but we'll find out for sure when the attendance for tonight's home opener is announced.

17of26

Sep 9, 2008
Just calling it the way I see it but thanks for making a point. In the grand scheme of things the ice suckage is a valid point. Everything else is mehhh.

Being uncomfortable at a 2.5 hour event where you paid a minimum of $60/ticket (nevermind parking, food, etc) is not mehh.

Based on what I've read so far about the new seating, I just won't go any events at TD Garden. I'll spend my money and time elsewhere.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
18,400 might be a little high. Capacity was 17,555 and the number of seats added I've seen reported is 500 which would bring it to 18,055. I don't know why they have been keeping the new capacity number a secret but we'll find out for sure when the attendance for tonight's home opener is announced.
That's what I read from @Fenway post on the subject.
Agree will know tonight.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
They all aren’t cramped - it’s apparently a few areas but not 18000

I went to 2 games so far and the seat was much better then before and plenty of leg room - I didn’t even have to stand up when people went by

I have two issues

1. no cup holder
2. I’m in seat 13 & 14 and my bud in 15 & 16. There is only one way out for the 12 people to my right

before they could go right now they will go left

they added 4 seats to row

Only the 2 people to my right would go by me - the other 6 would head to their right - this could piss me off if they are coming in and out during plays

I ain’t moving till play stops

I sat in Loge 5,last row today,they added 3 seats,it was absolutely crowded,no effin way adults are comfortable. I had a 6 year old on my left who elbowed me in the eye. When we were leaving I heard people bitching. It looks like all the seats are the same,coming off an assembly line in rows,with the same dimensions. They effed it up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad