Your biggest fantasy mistake

Not Jared Cowen

Oct 1, 2004
05-06 season, I traded Ilya Kovalchuk for Chris Drury. The Drury owner proposed this trade multiple times, I'd asked him to stop wasting my time but he kept proposing it. Anway, I was drunk one night and decided to check my team and there the trade was again. I could have sworn I had rejected it but I woke up the next day and it had been accepted. Lost in the final to the guy too. :mad:

Don't trade drunk, friends.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I traded Domi away this past offseason for pretty a average draft pick package after having him for many years. And it was literally a couple days later he was dealt to the Habs.. And this season he has been deadly finally.. Grrrrrrr.

But having said that, i did acquire Meier though in a different deal for a very minimal return. My pool has points, hits, pims and he is extremely valuable

Edmoiler13

Feb 21, 2014
Detroit
I made the mistake of trading Rantanen this offseason for Hornqvist and the 2nd overall which was Svechnikov. Not a bad return, but had I known he'd be this big a beast, I would have rode it out with him and been better for it

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Traded Matthews this past summer for a 1st, 2nd and 3rd due to future cap implications in a dynasty salary league. Too many UFAs and RFAs due new contracts meant I couldn't see Matthew's front loaded contract (which I expect to be 15 mil salary up front) fitting in under the cap with a competitive 25 man roster.

Those picks yielded Oliver Wahlstrom, Dominik Bokk and a 2019 3rd which hasn't been made yet. So far, Wahlstrom has been a colossal disappointment and Bokk has been relatively unimpressive. Granted, they have until June of 2021 before I need to sign them under my league rules... But at 5th Overall (Wahlstrom) you hope to get them in the NHL within a year or two.

Derg12

Mar 12, 2014
Keeping Bobrovski and letting Rantanen slip. I had choices to make and kept Eichel, Hall, Burns, and Bobrovski. I could've picked up any number of goalies several rounds into our draft this year.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I picked up Aaron Judge early in his rookie season, and then promptly dropped him a day later only to see him get claimed on waivers

Oops!

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I have had a few over the years when it comes to letting go of prospects too early: Rantanen (can't keep a prospect after 50 GP unless he's part of my protection list), kept lesser names over McAvoy.

JBM

Feb 1, 2017
Canada
I traded Suter and Voracek away for Shipychev and OEL last year.... it still hurts

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Waiting to draft a goalie and now the only one I have left who I originally drafted is Holtby.

Talbot + Smith folded. Now I have Koskinen, Greiss, Hart

McStimperi

Apr 6, 2012
Finland
Close to a decade ago, I drafted Crosby, then traded him to a Pittsburgh fan guy for Giroux and something (I dont remember, but someone underwhelming), then Giroux started slow and traded him for something like a Mike Richards. Guess it was me paying the dues in the beginning of this "career" lol.

BlackEye from Xhekaj

Mar 11, 2011
Very easy...

I traded a then Bruins Tyler Seguin and my 1st rd pick.. which after the lottery, sat at 6th overall (Sean Monahan) for the 1st overall pick in the 2012 entry draft and Pavel Bure-lite goal-scoring dynamo Nail Yakupov.

Needless to say I still cringe when I play the team that has both Seguin and Monahan.. and I have nothing to show for Yakupov as I simply dropped him this offseason (stashed in my minors for 3 seasons hoping).

TropicalFruitGirl2

A Peachy Hockey Gal!
Feb 23, 2013
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
Most of my big time blunders came when I was still pretty green in the world of fantasy hockey.

I've only been playing since 2016, but have caught on quite quickly.

One of my first ever big boo-boos came on my very first draft.
It was a points league that rewarded production and things like hits and blocks, but I went in thinking, "How cool would it be to draft Dale Weise? Guy can check AND score a bit!"
Well, to this day, he is one of the biggest slugs in the NHL, and while one might pick him up if you have a deep team and need some extra hits, NO ONE really actually DRAFTS him.. :D
And I drafted him in the 2nd round too...………… yea, I know... BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....

Another of my blunders was playing in a goalie centric keeper league with 14 GMs total.
Think about that....means good starting goaltenders are hard to come by. This was in 2017.

I traded away both Pekka Rinne and Devan Dubnyk (at different points in the season) for the promise of better offense....
I can't even remember who I got back in return, but needless to say they were NOT first line players....you know, the kind you EXPECT to get back when you part with legit starters, especially the caliber of those two.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
I'm in a now-16-team keeper league...

In September 2014 I made a trade that, at the time, the main pieces were Roberto Luongo and Martin Jones to me, and Nikita Kucherov (and Mike Smith and a low pick) to the other team. Luongo was later traded with Mike Hoffman for Rick Nash, and Jones was traded for Scott Hartnell. Before long both of those players became nothing.

Owwww.

I mean I have won that league twice since that trade, so I can't point to it as being a cause for any sort of downfall. You can't make an omelet without cracking a few eggs. Sometimes that means letting other teams have your Kucherovs and Bobrovskys just before they take off and having the hindsight feelbads; sometimes it means making the trades that bring in Eichel and Draisaitl and Barzal.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
I am in a keeper league where you keep your entire roster which includes prospects. It's a pretty deep league, 16 teams, large roster. One year we had a team dissolve so those players went into a pool along with all the new draftees and any other free agents already available. The best 2 available at my draft spot were Martin Jones and Pat Kane. (this was 2-4 years ago, Jone's 1st or 2nd year in SJ). I missed the draft and had German Rubtsov auto drafted instead.

Reactions: zaqq

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Probably this year. This past draft, first round.

Had Rask and Crawford as my goalies, and with the Crawford situation unknown, I knew goalie would be a tough spot for me. So I had my draft board I worked on and put a lot of time into. And instead of going BPA, which on my board was Brayden Point, I decided to go with position necessity instead.

So Dubnyk and Bishop go before me, and I pick a goalie, Cam Freaking Talbot. (Two years before I had him and he was the highest point getter n our league.)

If I go BPA, I got Point. But instead, I went goalie need, and take Talbot.

Last edited:

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
play on CBS sports especially since its the only one I started this year did the draft and haven't touched it....the format is SO BAD. It even prevents you from taking players for some odd reason during the draft. Never doing one on there ever again. Also not sure why goalies were useless in a ESPN standard scoring league last year but I took 2 goalies early and had to drop them for extra forwards and defenseman to play in the lineups each week because they were only getting points on wins and shutouts meaning they could often lose points and hardly gain much. I still finished 2nd and could of gotten 1st if I hadn't missed some lineup to put in when I had blank spots was busy and missed some like Seguin getting a hatrick near the end of the year when I had a vacant spot.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->