Proposal: Your best player for how many 1st round picks?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
What is the life expectancy for an NHL GM? There's an event horizon beyond which 1st picks have no value whatsoever. So maybe 6-10 is the most you could even imagine. And I'd not trade those for a superstar player... unless there were other factors (age, cap, offering team being Las Vegas and looking like multiple top-5 picks) in play.

caymanmew

May 18, 2014
Ottawa
For Karlsson it would have to be a crazy deal as it world force us into rebuild when we are trending upwards.

Personally i would want enough first rounders to make sure i get top picks. That means i need enough first rounders to outlast the teams time contending and still be getting their first when they are a bottom feeders. I'd say that means i would need 20-30 picks

so i'll go with 25 first rounders for Karlsson

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
How many Canucks players would even return one 1st round?

Horvat, Tanev, Edler and Boeser? I guess the Sedins' in theory from a contender with cap space (not happening).

If you are assuming just a random collection of 1st-rounders then Horvat would take quite a few. 5? Just because if you end up with a bunch of low picks you are ""%"#¤". 2-3 high.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
All first round picks aren't created equal, so thats going to make this difficult to judge.

In 2010, i'd have given up anything for the Oilers next 5 first rounders, but not much for the hawks (easy to say in retrospect, i guess). Alternatively, I wouldnt give you much for Oilers next 5, while the Canucks/Colorado on the other hand...?

Exactly as I see it. I can't see Edmonton with McDavid or Toronto with Matthews or Buffalo with Eichel being willing to trade their top players for first rounders no matter the quantity as these kinds of players are not always available in the draft. Yes 10 first rounders may produce 10 star quality NHL players but it could also be just a bunch or average players to a bunch of busts.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Exactly as I see it. I can't see Edmonton with McDavid or Toronto with Matthews or Buffalo with Eichel being willing to trade their top players for first rounders no matter the quantity as these kinds of players are not always available in the draft. Yes 10 first rounders may produce 10 star quality NHL players but it could also be just a bunch or average players to a bunch of busts.

Edmonton should know very well a bottom of the barrel team will eventually strike gold with 10 first round picks. Not the path you wanna choose though if you're comfortably on your way out of the bottom tier.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I think for the purpose of b this thread we should assume the firsts are 15 OA. As a Wings fan I wouldn't trade Z under any realistic circumstance simply due to his captaincy, legacy and more importantly cap recapture. He's sort of an unmovable contract at this point. I'd say his value should be about 1 first round pick.

Taking Z out of the equation I'd say Larkin or Mantha would be our best pieces and each should be worth about 2-3 first round picks.

I'd happily trade any of Nyquist Tatar or Green for 1 first as well.

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
5-6 for Kane

Little more than if he were to hypothetically get offer sheeted (I know he was a UFA before his last contract).

Last edited:

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Rangers will take 4 for McDonagh. or pay 1 for each year somebody takes Staal at full price...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad