Value of: Your bad contract to the Habs

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Have you guys fired all your scouting staff? If not, what's the point of stockpiling picks and tank.
Our problem isn't drafting, it's development. We had a horrible coach and assistant coaches in the minors and we just replaced them with someone who actually knows what he's doing. That, would be the point of stockpiling picks and prospects.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Edm would like to unload Lucic.
What would be the cost?

5 years left at 6m a year.
Make us an offer. Keep in mind 5 years + he's Lucic (public enemy #1 in Montreal, hated more than Chara and Marchand.)
Think McLeod type of player.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I'd give a prospect like Mcload or a 2019 1st protected to move Lucic.

The guy is still a middle 6 NHLer. Maybe even top 6 if he can bounce-back. But he is simply just OVERPAID.

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
Nathan Horton + a 2'd + prospect for 7th round pick

Deal. No take backs.

Although I'm assuming that some leafs fans won't want to trade a 2nd for 2 years of LTIR Horton.

So how about 2019 +2020 3rd round picks + Horton for Habs' 2020 7th rd pick & Lernoutt.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Our problem isn't drafting, it's development. We had a horrible coach and assistant coaches in the minors and we just replaced them with someone who actually knows what he's doing. That, would be the point of stockpiling picks and prospects.

I'm skeptical the problem isn't also at the drafting level but I'm not a Habs fan so I'm hardly an authority on the matter.

Fair enough but man, Habs have a hell of time getting high quality players on a regular basis via the draft.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
What would be the cost?

I'd give a prospect like Mcload or a 2019 1st protected to move Lucic.

The guy is still a middle 6 NHLer. Maybe even top 6 if he can bounce-back. But he is simply just OVERPAID.

With 5 years remaining on the contract, you'd have to give up a huge sweetener to get someone to take it. Or you'd have to swap bad contracts by taking back Alzner or something.

I don't see the Habs taking 5 years of Lucic for Ryan McLeod (a recent second rounder) or a protected first. Its just not enough for that many years.

Matt Moulson and the later of STL or SJ 1st for McCarron. Possibly may include Asplund if you wanna throw in a 2nd.

Habs would do. Sabres wouldn't.

Nathan Horton + a 2'd + prospect for 7th round pick

Habs would do. Leafs have no need to make the deal though.

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
Montreal should be taking LTIR contracts from teams like Franzen from Detroit and MacArthur from Ottawa.

krt88nc

Oct 7, 2017
Fayetteville, NC
Matt Moulson and the later of STL or SJ 1st for McCarron. Possibly may include Asplund if you wanna throw in a 2nd.

Losing a one year contract would be a SERIOUS waste of a valuable first round pick in what has been described as a very deep draft.

If you are unloading a contract it has to be Okposo or Bogo’s deals.

Next year Sabres lose Poms 5.6m, Moulson’s 5m and Skinners 5.7m. One of those first is needed to create future cap space beyond 2019.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
Eh, I don't consider Okposo a cap dump just yet. He's been injured, not useless like Moulson. And I have no idea about what other D prospects the Habs have outside of Mete and Juulsen. Hence Juulsen is there and not someone else.

EDIT: the only RHD prospects I see are Josh Brooks, Fleury, Arvid Henrikson and Brett Lernout and I have only heard of one of those people.
I get your point, but the goal of the post is to get cap dump and you said dumping Okposo would be preferable to Moulson, that's why I thought he was a cap dump, if not let's not discuss him.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
What would be the cost?

Recent exemple of pure cap dump have landed prospects such as Crouse (for Bolland dump) and Teravainen (for Bickell). Keeping in mind Lucic's contract is worse than these two, the price would be way more than that. But then Lucic can still be useful short term, so the price would be a slightly better prospect than these two. I see nothing but one that you wouldn't want to unload.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I get your point, but the goal of the post is to get cap dump and you said dumping Okposo would be preferable to Moulson, that's why I thought he was a cap dump, if not let's not discuss him.

Okposo could be a cap dump. It's just that I wanna give him a full year to say whether he is or not, you know. Moulson definitely would be a cap dump. Yet if that trade is made, he finally figures out what to do on the ice and has an Eric Staal resurrection cause that is the Sabres luck :[.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
Okposo could be a cap dump. It's just that I wanna give him a full year to say whether he is or not, you know. Moulson definitely would be a cap dump. Yet if that trade is made, he finally figures out what to do on the ice and has an Eric Staal resurrection cause that is the Sabres luck :[.
Yeah doubt that kind of luck would struck MTL either lol

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
With 5 years remaining on the contract, you'd have to give up a huge sweetener to get someone to take it. Or you'd have to swap bad contracts by taking back Alzner or something.

I don't see the Habs taking 5 years of Lucic for Ryan McLeod (a recent second rounder) or a protected first. Its just not enough for that many years.
Lucic isn't a bad player and he can still be useful. If we can get him back to around a 50 point guy, his contract won't look so bad with a rising cap. So I'll take McLeod and a protected first for sure. McLeod can develop into a nice LW or C, 2 positions we suck at and can use more depth at. We're not getting Benson or Yamamoto just so that the Oilers can unload Lucic's contract.

Last edited:

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Lucic isn't a bad player and he can still be useful. If we can get him back to around a 50 point guy, his contract won't look so bad with a rising cap. So I'll take McLeod and a protected first for sure. McLeod can develop into a nice LW or C, 2 positions we suck at and can use more depth at. We're not getting Benson or Yamamoto just so that the Oilers can unload Lucic's contract.

Is it really worth it for the Habs? Not that I don't believe that Lucic could bounce back at least somewhat but that term is scary. If we're not getting something in the deal that we really like (depth pieces are not cutting it), I don't see a reason to take on a burden like that.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Well, Sekera's going on LTIR due to (another) achilles injury. This is probably it for his career. Wanna take the contract off our hands?

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada

The Habs drafted a ton of centres this year... and McLeod is nothing special that they don't have in their system after this draft.

He's a fine prospect, but 5 years of a cap killing contract is a long time. I also have doubts that Lucic can get back to 20 goals or 50 points. His body has been through a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad