Your All Time Favorite CBJ Players

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
To provide a break from the Bread Thread, here's a chance to recognize your favorite players in CBJ history. This isn't necessarily about identifying the best players, rather your favorite players as you'll clearly see by my own selections. The only criteria is your selections should be by position and your fav must have played here two or more years (making this a Panarin free thread).

D. Seth Jones - love his skating and fluidity
D. Jack Johnson - after the *ss Carter left, Jack embraced being here
C. Mark Letestu - always a pro, dependable and an insightful interview
RW. Nick Zherdev - always a treat with the puck, even when overhandling
LW. Scott Hartnell - gritty like sandpaper, but with skill, a real competitor
G. Sergei Bobrovski - Yeah, cause he's been our best​

HM for Rick Nash, David Vborny, Cam Atkinson

My apologies to many of the earlier Jackets who aren't on my list. Anyway, here was mine. Who's yours?

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Started with Nash as Im sure a large chunk of the fan base did but my favorite Blue Jacket ever is easily Jones followed by Bobrovsky

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
D - Jones
D - Werenski (Berard)
RW - Jake (Dineen)
LW. - Whitney (Juice, Sanderson)
C - Vermette (Cassels, Sillinger)
G - Tugnutt

I know there is a player I'm forgetting.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Jones, Bob, bread, PLD, Tugger, Sandy, Werenski, Merchant, Fedorov (ok that one's a joke, though he was before the jackets existed as a wing).

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
LW- Geoff Sanderson
C- Espen Knutsen
RW-David Vyborny
D- Seth Jones
D- let me think more about this one ..............

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
In order

Jamie Pushor
Geoff Sanderson
Nikolai Zherdev
Derick Brassard

But if we're doing rosters

Sanderson-Brassard-Zherdev

Pushor-Jones

Bobrovsky
Mason

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Just giving top 10 favorites to watch:

1) Dorsett
2) Johansen
3) Foligno
4) Nash
5) MacKenzie
6) Boll
7) Wiz
8) Z
9) Hartnell
10) Umberger (serious. He was so bad he was fun to watch)

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
Scott Hartnell - loved his grit and competitiveness, and the way he'd occasionally catch fire when paired with a couple young players and look like he was having the time of his life.

Jody Shelley - any Maritimer is automatically a favorite for me, and Shelley gets extra points for being one of two NHL players to also play for Dalhousie, where I went to school. Also, the first hockey game I ever attended in person was a Saint John Flames game and he probably played in it.

Seth Jones - so smooth on the ice, never looks rushed or panicked.

Matt Calvert - heart and soul guy. All effort, all the time. That game-winner against the Rangers with his forehead wrapped in bandages is my favorite regular-season goal ever.

Sergei Bobrovsky - obviously.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Not sure where Nash and Panarin "fit" in this. For a bunch of reasons, good and bad.

HM: PLD, Atkinson, Calvert, Prout, Murray

5. Seth Jones
4. Brandon Dubinsky
3. David Vyborny
2. Derek Dorsett
1. Nikolai Zherdev

I could see Jones and PLD move up the list very soon.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I used to sit and think about Nash's goals for hours. But from here I don't really think of him as a favorite player. The only guys from earlier eras that I'm super fond of are Tugnutt and Voracek. Probably a few I don't remember.

More recently, the guys I get an extra kick out of it when they score or do well are Jones, Foligno, and Bobrovsky.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Of the current roster:
Jones
Bob
Z
Cam

Past:
Ray Whitney
Vyborny
Jake
Nash
Brassard
Johansen
Kris Russell
Zherdev
Hejda
Berard
Malhotra
Methot
Aaron Johnson (I completely forgot that he made a return in 2011-12)
Pascal Leclaire
Denis
Nikitin
Clitsome

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
When thinking about this I found it weird but I don't think I have a favorite player(s) like I have in other sports. Maybe its because I've become a bit jaded about pro sports or maybe because none of them have really captured my fancy.

Guys who could have been if they had maintained their peak and/or been around longer include Nash, Z, Whitney, Sanderson, Vborny, Dano and Joey.

Current guys who are probably my favorites are Jones and Zach. PLD has potential. And one guy who shall not be mentioned.

And of course special mention to Espen Knutsen.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Nash and Panarin should be on this list if not for the breakups. I have softened on Nash and probably will on Panarin as well. Panarin is the best forward I've seen on a regular basis and is fun to watch, so he would have to be a favorite if not for the whole "it's not you, it's me" of this summer.

If I had to pick a #1 favorite player, I would pick Prospal. He was the agent of change here and is, IMO, responsible for giving this franchise the kick in the ass it needed to become legitimate. (HM to JMFJ).

I should have Jody Shelley here but he just didn't quite make this roster. LW is, for whatever reason, stock full of my favorites over the years.

C - Knutsen, Malhotra
RW - Vyborny, Atkinson
LW - Sanderson, Prospal
D - Jones, Odelein
D - Werenski, Wisniewski
G - Tugnutt, Bob

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
If I had to pick a #1 favorite player, I would pick Prospal. He was the agent of change here and is, IMO, responsible for giving this franchise the kick in the ass it needed to become legitimate. (HM to JMFJ).
What's he up to nowadays? I wish we could get him as an assistant coach in Cleveland.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I just wanted to share this:

My sister (who's not really a hockey fan) believes Robert Kron is the greatest all-time CBJ player because on the radio broadcasts there was a reoccurring tag used with George Matthews exclaiming, "Robert Kron in overtime!!!!" that was played multiple times during each game. That kept being used years after he was with the team. She kept hearing that when the games were on in the background and thought Robert Kron won many, many games in overtime.

She still says Kron is her favorite player.

Reactions: 213 Sentinel

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Definitely fun seeing a few names that surprised me and also seeing how many others included Zherdev.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
the goat line
Svitov
Calvert
Nash
Vyborny
Jones
Shelley
Werenski
PLD

Ad