Line Combos: Your 2021-22 Opening Night Lineup

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
What’s your lineup? Go with the “old” top-6 setup or change it up? Who’s gonna make the jump and play where?

Forwards:
Palat
Point
Kucherov
Killorn
Stamkos
Joseph
Colton
Cirelli
Barre-Boulet
Maroon
Bellemare
Perry
T. Raddysh
Katchouk
Smith
Walcott
Dumont
Hudon
Cajkovic
Koepke
Tufto
Goncalves
Finley
Ryfors
Huntington
Fortier
Morand
Elie
Somppi
Lipanov

Defensemen:
Hedman
McDonagh
Sergachev
Cleasson
Cernak
Bogosian
Rutta
Foote
Sustr
Day
Thompson
Green
Semykin
D. Raddysh

Goalies:
Vasilevskiy
Elliott
Lagace
Alnefelt
Miftakhov

Last edited:

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Assuming Colton signs:
Palat-Point-Kuch
Killorn-Stamkos-ABB
Colton-Cirelli-Perry
Maroon-PEB-Joseph

Hedman-Rutta
McD-Cernak
Sergy-Bogo

Vasy
SmElliott

Reactions: Stammertime91

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Palat-Point-ABB
Joseph-Stamkos-Kucherov
Katchouk-Cirelli-Killorn
Maroon-PEB-Perry
(Colton/Raddysh)

Hedman-Bogo
McD-Cernak
Sergy-Foote
(Rutta)

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Barring further additions, it comes down to Katchouk vs ABB and Bogosian vs Rutta imo. I'll give Smith a shot at opening lineup too, but someone like Raddysh really has to win over the coaching staff. Somppi could contend as well, but considering the amount of 2-way deals for some of these guys, you really have to earn your spot.

Also think we have to find a line that can contend against the best opposition like Goodrow-Gourde-Coleman.

Stamkos-Point-Kucherov
Palat-Cirelli-Killorn
Katchouk-Colton-Joseph
Maroon-Bellemare-Perry

Or

ABB-Point-Kucherov
Colton-Stamkos-Joseph
Palat-Cirelli-Killorn
Maroon-Bellemare-Perry

You already know you can fall back on Palat/Point/Kucherov and Killorn/Cirelli/Stamkos as a top 6, but nowadays you need a line in the bottom 6 that can be trusted against elite opposition.

Defense

Hedman-Foote
McDonagh-Cernak
Sergachev-Bogosian/Rutta

As a side note, is there a taxi squad this season?

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Lol Foote is not going to be on the top pair.

Hedman was used to cover for Dotchin and his poor skating. I could see Hedman being Footes primary 5v5 partner to compensate in a similar role.

I don’t think he is saying Foote is a top pairing defender, I hope.

Shoresy Snipes

Give yer B's a T ya T F'r
May 6, 2017
Hedman was used to cover for Dotchin and his poor skating. I could see Hedman being Footes primary 5v5 partner to compensate in a similar role.

I don’t think he is saying Foote is a top pairing defender, I hope.
Dotchin, there's a name I haven't seen in a while. I take it he's not even in hockey anymore?
Would be nice if Cal could bring some of the grit like Dotchin had, or you know... Like his old man, Sr. Foote... Big Foote(?)

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Dotchin, there's a name I haven't seen in a while. I take it he's not even in hockey anymore?
He didn't play last year but he's signed next season in the Czech league for Rytiri Kladno, the same team as Jaromir Jagr, lol.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
Did Oleg Sosunov just not develop? He and Sustr would have been the tallest pair ever in the AHL.

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Did Oleg Sosunov just not develop? He and Sustr would have been the tallest pair ever in the AHL.
He just didnt pan out the way we hoped. Would have been fun to watch him and Sustr as a d-pair. i think another reason was we were at the 50 contract limit.

SRQKiter

Sep 26, 2018
Barring some shocker trade before the season, the roster looks pretty set (with perhaps some small moves around the edges to come). But within that roster Coop is going to have to do a fair amount experimentation on the best combos both up front -especially the 3rd and 4th lines - and on the back end. The point is, it's a fun exercise I guess but I think it's gonna be a crap shoot for the first few months.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Pretty much. It seemed like there was maybe some kind of latent offensive ability he could have developed, but it never happened.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Barring further additions, it comes down to Katchouk vs ABB and Bogosian vs Rutta imo. I'll give Smith a shot at opening lineup too, but someone like Raddysh really has to win over the coaching staff. Somppi could contend as well, but considering the amount of 2-way deals for some of these guys, you really have to earn your spot.

Also think we have to find a line that can contend against the best opposition like Goodrow-Gourde-Coleman.

Stamkos-Point-Kucherov
Palat-Cirelli-Killorn
Katchouk-Colton-Joseph
Maroon-Bellemare-Perry

Or

ABB-Point-Kucherov
Colton-Stamkos-Joseph
Palat-Cirelli-Killorn
Maroon-Bellemare-Perry

You already know you can fall back on Palat/Point/Kucherov and Killorn/Cirelli/Stamkos as a top 6, but nowadays you need a line in the bottom 6 that can be trusted against elite opposition.

Defense

Hedman-Foote
McDonagh-Cernak
Sergachev-Bogosian/Rutta

As a side note, is there a taxi squad this season?

Hedman and Foote would be a disaster and we all know won't happen so why go there. Bogo and Rutta are both acceptable options.

I will give you credit and I am all for a:
Pally Tony Killer line

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Hedman and Foote would be a disaster and we all know won't happen so why go there. Bogo and Rutta are both acceptable options.

I will give you credit and I am all for a:
Pally Tony Killer line
It's not like we ever have a top pairing caliber d-man next to Hedman anyways. Like my comment about the fowards, we know what we get with Rutta next to Hedman, and Bogosian for that matter. I'd rather see Foote get some minutes alongside the best in the game, see how he handles things from there. I like Bogo there too, but early in the season I'd like to see us experiment with some things a little bit. I could be dead wrong anout Foote being in the lineup at all, but if he is, I don't think Hedman is a bad option.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Just staple Kucherov and Point together and the rest is probably going to work itself out. Bogo is nothing special but he can refrain from shitting the bed most of the time and I don't think it's impossible that he might get an early look with Hedman.

This was an exquisite offseason by JFBB. I might need to make another offering to my beloved thrash gods. @Major4Boarding any suggestions?

Last edited:
Reactions: BoltzManConstant

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I know I am late to the table because of family health crisis. I hate Perry I hated Perry at every team his has played at. I hate Perry more than I ever hated Shattenkirk just seeing Perrys name on the roster makes me want to hurl. I get it hes a cheap old body that wants to lift the cup but he brings nothing to this team on any line he will be behind the play he skates like a slug now he never was fast but now holy kriky. as to line up will be about what L8nite said.
Palat-Point-Kucherov
Killorn-Cirelli-Stamkos
Joseph-Colton-Perry
Maroon-Bellemare-ABB

Adding Bogo back to the D is acceptable not sure how Colton will be fit in hope he is not our next Verhaghe.

ElectricDreamMachine

Nov 5, 2013
Palat-Point-Kucherov
Killorn-Cirelli-Stamkos
Joseph-Colton-Katchouk
Maroon-Bellemare-Perry

Hedman-Rutta
McD-Cernak
Sergy-Bogo

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
Palat-Point-Kucherov
Killorn-Stamkos-Raddysh
Katchouk-Cirelli-Perry
Maroon-Bellemare-Joseph

Hedman-Bogosian
McDonagh-Cernak
Sergachev-Rutta

I'm not convinced of Cirelli as a 2nd line center, but think he's a great third line center.

Our second line hasn't been that effective with Cirelli at center or with Stamkos on RW. This puts Stamkos back at his best position with our best offensive prospect. I could also see ABB at this spot, but he didn't get much done on the top line and the power play last year.

Reactions: Byrddog

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Palat-Point-Kucherov
Killorn-Cirelli-Stamkos
Katchouk-Colton-Raddysh
Maroon-Bellemare-Perry
Joseph/ABB

Hedman-Rutta
McDonagh-Cernak
Sergachev-Bogosian

Raddysh and Katchouk both have chemistry from their AHL days with Colton, and both of them have legit top 6 potential. They will burst on the scene this year, Colton would be the perfect center for them for their first year. Fast, skilled and a tenacious 3rd line. Keep the top 2 lines in tact and let them do what they do best. Have a skilled 3rd line chopping at the bit to bust onto the scene, then follow that up with a fantastic 4th line. Arguably one of the leagues best.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Palat - Point - Kucherov
Killorn - Cirelli - Stamkos
Barre-Boulet - Colton - Joseph
Maroon - Katchouk - Raddysh

Hedman - Rutta
McDonagh - Cernak
Sergachev - Foote

f*** those veteran free agents!

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
Palat-Point-Kuch
ABB-Cirelli-Stamkos
Killorn-Colton-Joseph
Maroon-PEB-Perry

Hedman-Rutta
McD-Cernak
Sergy-Bogo

I think Foote, Raddysh/Katchouk cycle in to spell the vets occasionally unless there is an injury and the line-up is as above. Unless Raddysh or Katchouk amazes in camp / preseason and steals a spot.

Last edited:

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
It's not like we ever have a top pairing caliber d-man next to Hedman anyways. Like my comment about the fowards, we know what we get with Rutta next to Hedman, and Bogosian for that matter. I'd rather see Foote get some minutes alongside the best in the game, see how he handles things from there. I like Bogo there too, but early in the season I'd like to see us experiment with some things a little bit. I could be dead wrong anout Foote being in the lineup at all, but if he is, I don't think Hedman is a bad option.
I’m just saying it won’t happen, could be fun but won’t happen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->