YOUR 2016/2017 Buffalo Sabres Team Awards

LetsDoughBuffalo

Apr 4, 2014
I know this week is going to be A LOT about locker clean outs, Bylsma's presser & Murray's presser, but I figured we can look back at the season and have a little bit of fun with our own awards.

I've come up with a few categories, but don't feel the need to follow with these ones specifically as you post your awards:

Best Beyond Blue and Gold
Winner: The Ottawa Brawl
Runners Up: The Thousand-Game Family Man, Kim Pegula At The NHL Draft

Damn, this just really pulled some heart strings. Loved the all the interviews; it was great to see former Sabres involved in the piece. What a memory.

Biggest Dissapointment
Winner: Zach Bogosian
Runners Up: Dimitry Kulikov, Tyler Ennis

I really just thought that Bogo was SO bad defensively; especially considering what he's paid.

Best Pleasant Surprise
Winner: Brian Gionta
Runners Up: Evander Kane, Justin Falk

15 goals and 20 assists in a mostly third line role? Not bad.

Top Call-Up
Winner: Taylor Fedun
Runners Up: Evan Rodrigues, Brendan Guhle
I decided not to count Justin Falk or Will Carrier in this category.

I thought Fedun really did look the part of a third pairing NHL defenceman when he was up in Buffalo with the main squad. Yes he had some defensive deficiencies, but what third pair D-man doesn't? Fedun was an effective puck mover as well.

Top Defenceman
Winner: Rasmus Ristolainen
Runners Up: Jake McCabe, Cody Franson
I mean... this is pretty obvious, right? Risto did everything again this season and again slowed down due to playing WAY too many minutes.

Top Forward
Winner: Jack Eichel
Runners Up: Ryan O'Reilly, Evander Kane

Led the team in points despite playing only 61 games. Our most dynamic player since Briere?

MVP
Winner: Ryan O'Reilly
Runners up: Jack Eichel, Robin Lehner

ROR played in every situation, and played the most minutes as a forward. He seems like the team's veteran leader. He was a heart and soul of the team kind of player and finished second in points. People might not like my pick of Lehner as a runner up, but he finished 12th in Sv % with a few backup goalies who played many less games sitting ahead of him. Lehner had his downfalls, but generally - I thought he was really good.

Top Moments
3. Lehner's Save
After Carey Price stopped Moulson and Ristolainen in tight with magnificent looking saves in the final seconds of the game, Lehner would find a way to one-up Price in overtime. Robin was drawn out of his net with some nice patience by the Canadiens puck carrier. The puck came back to Galchenyuk in the slot, and Lehner flew back with an insane glove save to keep the Sabres alive. Zach Bogosian scored the winner shortly after.

2. McCabe's Hit
The Sabres were in the midst of a third period comeback against the Jets on home ice in January. After tying the game, McCabe pulled out his best Brian Campbell impersonation and laid out Patrik Laine in the open ice with a completely clean hit. I have some bias from being there that afternoon, but the building was SO loud when this happened.

1. Eichel's First goal
We all went into shock and depression when Jack Eichel got hurt just a day before the start of the season. It seemed as though the rest of the NHL had forgotten about him as McDavid and Matthews were in the midst of great starts to their seasons. After missing 21 games, Jack scored a powerplay goal in the first period on a one timer from the left side of the formation. That felt good.

Best Games
Runners up:
March 25, 2017 vs. Toronto: 5-2 W, January 21, 2017 at Montreal: 3-2 OTW

5. December 6, 2016 vs. Edmonton: 4-3 OTW
We blow another early lead at home, and things are depressing AF. While some may not like to admit it, it always feels a little more important when we're watching Eichel vs. McDavid. In the last minute of the game, Ryan O'Reilly hit the post, and Evander Kane pots the rebound to force overtime. OT saw Rasmus Ristolainen score on an absolutely BOMB of a slap shot. The "ping" off the post was SO loud. I think this might have actually been Risto's first goal of the season too - long overdue for him.

4. January 24, 2017 at Nashville: 5-4 OTW
The Sabres were down in the third period 4-2 with 10 minutes remaining. Brian Gionta put one into an open net with 5:45 to go, and then Kyle Okposo tied it with a little over a minute left in regulation time. Then in overrtime, Eichel goes coast-to-coast and wins it. Eichel's speed was really on display with this goal. I think this was also the end of the parents trip too.

3. December 1, 2016 vs. New York Rangers 4-3 W
It was Jack Eichel's home debut, and the Sabres were up against one of the best team's in the league at the time.When the Sabres were down in the third period, it felt like they deserved better. Our saviour Jack Eichel would score two third period goals (one as he steamed down the right wing, and the other on a flukey bank off of a Rangers defenseman) and the Sabres hung on for the 4-3 win. Many believed that this was going to be a turning point for the franchise and actually was the best 60 minutes the Sabres played all season long.

2. January 7, 2017 vs. Winnipeg 4-3 W
The game was looking grim as both ex-Sabres Drew Stafford and Joel Armia scored, helping the Jets build a 3-1 lead. Goals from Foligno, Girgensons, and Gionta in under 5 minutes, put the Sabres in front in the third period. Mixed into the comeback was Jake McCabe's amazing hit on Patrik Laine while the game was tied 3-3. I was there, and this was a hell of an afternoon.

1. February 7, 2017 vs. San Jose 5-4 OTW
It just had to be this one. Sabres fans had recently come to the conclusion that we were going to miss the playoffs yet again. When the Sharks made it 4-1 with 13:53 left in the 3rd period, it just felt like another routine Sabres game this season. All of a sudden, the comeback was on. O'Reilly at 10:57, Kane at 8:24, and Okposo at 7:29, and all of a sudden the game was tied. The fans were REALLY into this one during the comeback. Evander Kane would score off of a nice feed from Jack Eichel at the end of a 2 on 1 rush in overtime. Dan Dunleavy had possibly the call of the season: "Eichel carries, Kane burries!"

Player You're Looking Forward To Seeing The Most Next Season
Winner: Sam Reinhart
Runners Up: Johan Larsson, Brendan Guhle

If we get a new coach or Bylsma gives Sam a real shot at being an NHL centreman, then this is a no-brainer. Johan Larsson was showing a bit more offense to his game before he got hurt; I wonder if he can build on that? Hopefully Guhle has a great start to his professional career, whether that is in Rochester or Buffalo.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Runner Up: Gionta 1000 game

Biggest Dissapointment
Winner: Tyler Ennis - I predicted that Ennis would have the highest scoring season of his career
Runners Up: Bogo, Kulikov, Foligno

Best Pleasant Surprise
Winner: Matt Moulson - 14 goals and 32 points, when we thought he was completely done at the NHL level.
Runner Up: Franson, Falk

Top Call-Up
Winner: William Carrier - He's more impactful than Bylsma realizes.
Runner Up: Falk

Top Defenceman
Winner: Rasmus Ristolainen - He has so much more to give defensively, but Bylsma...
Runner Up: Cody Franson - No one else deserves mention

Top Forward
Winner: Jack Eichel
Runner Up: Ryan O'Reilly
Eichel is a superstar talent

MVP
Runner up: Jack Eichel
There's no doubt that Eichel is the superstar talent. But his game isn't complete enough, and his effort is no where near consistent enough to be more valuable than ROR.

Too many to choose: Carrier, Fasching, Nylander, Guhle, the return of Larsson, Reinhart at center

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Biggest Dissapointment
Winner: Kulikov. For obvious reasons. Bogosian wasn't a disappointment because I think he's a bad player. I wasn't expecting much from Ennis.
Runner up: Girgensons. I did expect a jump in production from him.

Best Pleasant Surprise
Winner: Gionta. Very solid season for an aging player.
Runner Up: Moulson, Falk, BRADY AUSTIN.

Top Call-Up
Winner: Rodriquez. I didn't think he was necessarily better than Carrier, but he skated tougher minutes and did better than I expected. Carrier should have played more, but Bylsma is making it hard for me to take him over E-Rod.
Runner Up: Carrier, Falk.

Top Defenceman
Winner: Ristolainen. If only he were used properly.
Runner Up: Who cares. Franson or McCabe.

Top Forward
Winner: Jack Eichel.
Runner Up: Ryan O'Reilly, Evander Kane (EK's ES production on a team devoid of it can't be ignored).

MVP
Winner: O'Reilly. Should be (but won't be) everyone's pick.
Runner up: Eichel, Risto.

Guhle and any other D they add.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Biggest Dissapointment
Winner: Foligno - Honestly, there were a few others, but injuries kind of disqualifies them for me. Tough to get your game going back to 100% with a bum back or a concussion and groin injury. Foligno a guy who consistently brought the energy(even if the skill was there) in the recent years, just seemed so inconsistent with that energy.
Runner up: McCabe - would've liked better decisions from him overall, as the year went on he got worse and weaker on the puck.

Best Pleasant Surprise
Winner: Franson, had quietly a decent year for a 3rd pairing guy on a team that was impacted with injuries.
Runner Up: Gionta.
Shocking: Gorges and Falk being a -3 playing 50+ games

Top Call-Up
Winner: Rodriquez. Just by default. Though he trailed off quickly towards the end of the year playing center.
Runner Up: Carrier, Falk, and Fedun.

Top Defenceman
Winner: Ristolainen. by default really.
Runner Up: None? Maybe Franson.

Top Forward
Runner Up: Kane

MVP
Winner: O'Reilly
Runner up: Lehner I guess.

Guhle, Carrier, Fasching.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Biggest Dissapointment
Winner: Kulikov. For obvious reasons. Bogosian wasn't a disappointment because I think he's a bad player. I wasn't expecting much from Ennis.
Runner up: Girgensons. I did expect a jump in production from him.

Best Pleasant Surprise
Winner: Gionta. Very solid season for an aging player.
Runner Up: Moulson, Falk, BRADY AUSTIN.

Top Call-Up
Winner: Rodriquez. I didn't think he was necessarily better than Carrier, but he skated tougher minutes and did better than I expected. Carrier should have played more, but Bylsma is making it hard for me to take him over E-Rod.
Runner Up: Carrier, Falk.

Top Defenceman
Winner: Ristolainen. If only he were used properly.
Runner Up: Who cares. Franson or McCabe.

Top Forward
Runner Up: Ryan O'Reilly, Evander Kane (EK's ES production on a team devoid of it can't be ignored).

MVP
Winner: O'Reilly. Should be (but won't be) everyone's pick.
Runner up: Eichel, Risto.

Guhle and any other D they add.

Looking forward to watching Cam Fowler. :naughty:

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Best BBG
Ottawa Brawl
This one is an easy choice.
Runner up: N/A

Biggest Disappointment
Sam Reinhart
He wasn't the impact player we needed him to be. He beats out Kulikov only because of health.
Runner up: Kulikov

Best Pleasant Surprise
Evander Kane
He showed some chemistry on Eichel's wing at last, and shined in a 3rd-line role.
Runner up: Moulson

Top Call-up
William Carrier
Bright future on this team, especially if he finds his offense.
Runner up: Falk

Top Defensemen
Rasmus Ristolainen
Really, it should be no one, but of the bad play, Rasmus still produced some offense.
Runner up: No one

Top Forward
Jack Eichel
Legitimate franchise player. There aren't many. I still expect growth too. Wow.
Runner up: O'Reilly

MVP
Jack Eichel
I thought Jack had the most to do with the games we won.
Runner up: O'Reilly

Player You're Looking Forward to Seeing:
Brendan Guhle
I think he could be a true impact defenseman, so whether its Buffalo or Rochester, I'm watching him.
Runner up: Nylander

Last edited:

Buttons85

RJ & Rayzor Fan Club
Jan 31, 2013
Austin, TX
I usually tune out during these things, but I watched this one intently and then made my girlfriend watch it again with me later. Goosebumps.

Biggest Disappointment
Winner: Bogosian
Runner Up: Kulikov
How can anything other than our "core" defenders be the biggest disappointment? I think we knew Bogo wasn't stellar and prone to injury, but... yikes. This guy is not a #2D, yet he's getting paid like one. It seems like Kuli never got over his back injury, which is incredibly disappointing, and he rocks a -26 rating. Not many that are worse than that in the league.

FWIW, the most disappointing moment for me was when Eichel got injured on the eve of their first game. That was absolutely crushing.

That, and when we brought back Grant. :pullhair:

Best Pleasant Surprise
Winner: Kane
Runner Up: Falk
After last year, I wasn't sure what to expect from Kane. He really turned it on multiple times this season, though, and he gives the team some much needed electricity. Falk seems competent, and I don't feel the same level of anxiety as when Bogo, Kuli, or Gorges are on the ice.

Top Call-Up
Winner: Carrier
Runner Up: Rodrigues
Carrier looks more like an NHLer than anyone else brought up this year. Rodrigues definitely exceeded my expectations.

Top Defenseman
Winner: Ristolainen
Runner Up: McCabe
This should be unanimous. McCabe has made some pretty egregious errors down the stretch, but on the whole, I trust him more than any other defenseman not named Rasmus on the team.

Top Forward
Winner: Eichel
Runner Up: O'Reilly
Eichel is a generational talent, and opposing teams treat him like one. He alone can dictate the flow of the game when he's on the ice.

MVP
Runner Up: O'Reilly
Most. Valuable. Player. The player that is valued above all others. That is Eichel, hands down. I understand the votes for O'Reilly, though, as losing him would probably flush what little morale and direction the team has down the crapper.

Runner Up: Guhle
I have little faith the Sabres make the playoffs next year at this point, so my pick is purely because Eichel is just so damn fun to watch. On the other end of the spectrum, maybe Guhle can make our defense at least... watchable.

ZemgusWho

Jun 19, 2007
Denver
This game. Perhaps my all-time favorite Sabres moment here.

Biggest Dissapointment
Winner: Dimitry Kulikov
I wish we could have just had Pysyk, warts and all.

Best Pleasant Surprise
Winner: Robin Lehner
He challenges his teammates, he shows up. Goaltending is not the problem.

Top Call-Up
Winner: Evan Rodrigues,
I never would have thought this kid would be anything more than a 3rd line center in Rochester. He's talented, and could be part o this going forward.

Top Defenceman
Winner: Rasmus Ristolainen

Top Forward
Winner: Evander Kane
5 on 5, he was our best player. He found space and found the net way more often than I ever would have guesses. Many nights he was our most dangerous player.

MVP
The next captain, right here.

Winner: Eichel x 82.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Biggest Dissapointment- Reinhart. He didn't have the excuse of being injured or playing in the NHL Tourney but was the beneficiary of increased time because of injuries to others. Didn't do enough with it.

Best Pleasant Surprise- Lehner

Top Call-Up- Falk. Journeyman stepped up and played above his pay grade.

Top Defenceman- Franson. He consistently played within his limits and kept it simple around Lehner/Nilsson

Top Forward- ROR

MVP- Gionta. Only self starter on the team most nights, oldest guy on the team outworking teammates 10-15 years younger most every night.

Player You're Looking Forward To...... - Jack. He's done a lot of talking since December, looking forward to seeing him back it up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad