Speculation: Your 2013-2014 Detroit Red Wings

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
The point of the game isn't to put together the toughest team possible. The point of the game is to score more goals than you let in. If you can do that with a "soft" team, who cares about the rest?

Or are we still pretending Colton Orr is going to flip out and injure Zetterberg and Datsyuk one day? and are we still pretending that having tougher players could ever stop that kind of violent act? If anything, the more tough guys you have, the more goons love playing you because then they have something to do.

Dressing an enforcer against the Wings is like having a boxer on your soccer team. It's funny how we worry about Colton Orr vs Zetterberg and Datsyuk like that's Toronto's master plan. I think Mike Babcock thinks Colton Orr vs Zetterberg and Datsyuk is Detroit's master plan.

Why not Soccer or Basketball then?

The point is what kind of hockey we want to watch.
The Wings did not want to use an enforcer, now even a gritty player who can drop them is not needed (Tootoo).

Last edited:

crashman

Why not Soccer or Basketball then?

The point is what kind of hockey we want to watch.
The Wings did not want to use an enforcer, now even a gritty player who can drop them is not needed (Tootoo).

Abdelkader

He's a better fighter than Tootoo at this point, and he's a MUCH better player...and he makes less

Edit: I misread your post, I thought you were saying Tootoo WAS needed. Oh well, I like Abdelkader!

probertrules24

Jul 10, 2007
Canada
Abdelkader

He's a better fighter than Tootoo at this point, and he's a MUCH better player...and he makes less

Edit: I misread your post, I thought you were saying Tootoo WAS needed. Oh well, I like Abdelkader!

I can agree there is no need to carry Tootoo if he's not going to be playing but to say Abdelkader is a better fighter is so wrong. Abby will not go with the guys Tootoo is willing to. I"m not sure if Abby's ever won a fight convincingly in his career. He's very limited with the type of guy he can fight and have a chance with.

This is not a knock on Abby. He's the better player of the two it's just in response to Abby vs Tootoo

crashman

I can agree there is no need to carry Tootoo if he's not going to be playing but to say Abdelkader is a better fighter is so wrong. Abby will not go with the guys Tootoo is willing to. I"m not sure if Abby's ever won a fight convincingly in his career. He's very limited with the type of guy he can fight and have a chance with.

This is not a knock on Abby. He's the better player of the two it's just in response to Abby vs Tootoo

Tootoo just doesn't seem to have it anymore now that he's off the booze.

RedWingsNow*

On a team-wide scale, both hits and block shots have no correlation to winning.

http://www.examiner.com/article/examining-real-time-statistics-and-dispelling-the-myths

Those are interesting, but not what I am looking for.
Those numbers don't ask the right questions

I am interested in this:
What is the Red Wings hits per game in regulation wins:
What is the Red Wings hits per game in regulation losses.

What is the average NHL team's hits per game in regulation wins
What is the everage NHL team's hits per game in regulation losses.

I'd like to compare Red Wings vs Red Wings -- since they are the same team.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Abdelkader

Eh, there were the days when the Wings had Shanahan, McCarty, Lapoint ...
Now Our lone guy who can produce and maybe can drop them is Datsyuk and he has done it just once.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Those are interesting, but not what I am looking for.
Those numbers don't ask the right questions

I am interested in this:
What is the Red Wings hits per game in regulation wins:
What is the Red Wings hits per game in regulation losses.

What is the average NHL team's hits per game in regulation wins
What is the everage NHL team's hits per game in regulation losses.

I'd like to compare Red Wings vs Red Wings -- since they are the same team.
What would that prove, though? It would likely show that hitting can be correlated to home wins to some degree. But obviously correlation isn't causation, so we wouldn't be able to say anything conclusive. And even then, I doubt it's the sort of relationship you have in mind (fewer hits on home loss, more hits on home win), at least in any clean sense.

and beyond that, we wouldn't be able to say much about road wins and losses at all.

RedWingsNow*

What would that prove, though? It would likely show that hitting can be correlated to home wins to some degree. But obviously correlation isn't causation, so we wouldn't be able to say anything conclusive. And even then, I doubt it's the sort of relationship you have in mind (fewer hits on home loss, more hits on home win), at least in any clean sense.

and beyond that, we wouldn't be able to say much about road wins and losses at all.

So maybe tonight I'll do home wins vs home losses in an 82 game season.
Probably not tonight. Maybe tomorrow

RedWingsNow*

Originally, the point wasn't about what kind of hockey somebody prefers. It was about whether toughness causes wins. I don't think it does.

If coaches didn't think toughness caused wins, then the NHL would be a very different place.

Why did Tootoo get $1.9M a year. If Tootoo didn't hit and didn't fight, what would he be worth?

I wonder how any fan old enough to remember 1992-1996 doesn't appreciate the importance of toughness -- back in the day when our team had more skill, by far, than anyone else, but lacked the toughness and grit to go with it.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
"toughness" and hitting, fighting are as important to winning as skating, shooting, passing, backchecking etc

they're all elements of the game and it takes the right combo of ALL skills inorder to win

failure to properly address all aspects in the ratio proportion equals failure

i would take a cal clutterbuck over all our forwards not named zetts, alfie, nyquist and datsyuk every day of the week thats how important it is

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
Or Doan, although he's lost a step. Look at the trouble he's caused us in the playoffs over the years. His grit just makes things happen, working hard down low and making everyone else on the ice take a look and lose a step.

It plays a huge role, whenever I'm on the ice with a goon my third eye is on him and not that trailing forward across the zone.

I think some teams try too hard to just be tough and nothing else, it doesn't seem to work out to well.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Or Doan, although he's lost a step. Look at the trouble he's caused us in the playoffs over the years. His grit just makes things happen, working hard down low and making everyone else on the ice take a look and lose a step.

It plays a huge role, whenever I'm on the ice with a goon my third eye is on him and not that trailing forward across the zone.

I think some teams try too hard to just be tough and nothing else, it doesn't seem to work out to well.

Huge difference between a goon and a guy like Doan, though, and guys like Doan don't hit the market very often. Guys like Clarkson are pale imitations, while guys like Horton have the size but not necessarily the tenacity.

I think toughness is a vague term, though. I don't think this team is soft. I think they will take the body, they'll take a hit, they'll go into the corners, etc. They also aren't overly large, nor will they make a living grinding teams into a pulp.

RedWingsNow*

Huge difference between a goon and a guy like Doan, though, and guys like Doan don't hit the market very often. Guys like Clarkson are pale imitations, while guys like Horton have the size but not necessarily the tenacity.

I think toughness is a vague term, though. I don't think this team is soft. I think they will take the body, they'll take a hit, they'll go into the corners, etc. They also aren't overly large, nor will they make a living grinding teams into a pulp.

A guy like Morrow isn't very far away (aside from 2 inches and 20 pounds) from being Shane Doan.

RedWingsNow*

Thank you.

If folks don't like Cleary's ability to kill the offense, wait until you see Morrow handle the puck in the offensive zone. Oh baby.

I was waiting for someone to act as if Cleary is better than Morrow.
850 games 249 goals 293 assists
869 games 160 goals 217 assists

Which is Cleary and which is Morrow?

Cleary has scored more than 20 goals once. He has never scored more than 46 points.
Morrow has scored more than 20 goals 5 times. he has scored more than 46 points four times..

By the way, here's Doan's statistics over 1246 games
331-484

just for comparison's sake, if you take Morrow's stats and pro rate them over 1246 games you get:
Stat Doan Morrow
Goals 331 363
assists 484 428
Points 815 791

Morrow, by the way, drastically outproduced Cleary in points last year despite much fewer minutes.

we like our team*

itt bob trying to tell someone who actually watches the stars how good morrow is

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Lol Morrow's offensive killing ability was one of the popular topics constantly brought up on Dallas' board the past 2 seasons.

Do not want. Especially since he's another guy Babcock would probably play in a role well beyond his current capability.

Detroit Swed Wings

#FireHolland
Jan 17, 2013
Malmö

Quick youtube search and 1 minute later I present you with two - kind of.

I'm not saying he's a good fighter or anything but I felt like I had seen some fights where I thought he won convincingly.
Tootoo IS a better fighter, can't believe anynone would say otherwise. However Abby can score goals, something Tootoo can't.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
As we approach the cap and the contract limit, I'd rather sign Nyquist and Andersson before we concern ourselves with yet another forward. We'd have to shed Sammy, Tootoo, Eaves, Emmerton, and Bertuzzi to really make it work, because I'm not okay with any of those players along with Morrow replacing Nyquist or Tatar in the line up.

probertrules24

Jul 10, 2007
Canada
Quick youtube search and 1 minute later I present you with two - kind of.

I'm not saying he's a good fighter or anything but I felt like I had seen some fights where I thought he won convincingly.
Tootoo IS a better fighter, can't believe anynone would say otherwise. However Abby can score goals, something Tootoo can't.

Trust me I'm not trying to knock Abby I appreciate when he steps up but I don't think either of those clips he wins convincingly. He out wrestled in both.

Only reason I commented was about trying to compare the two as fighters. Tootoo will go with heavyweights when he has to. Not that it's a good idea.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad