youngest players in WJC history

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
anyone know where i can find a list of the youngest players to play in the WJC for each country??

is there a age restriction to how young a player can be??

lastly, does anyone know if there has ever been a guy to play prior to his 16th bday?? (for example a kid that would turn 16 in jan/feb, plays in the tourney a few weeks before his bday)

leafaholix*

I'm pretty sure the youngest player ever was Sidney Crosby at age 16 and 3 or so months.

Other very young players would have been...

Wayne Gretzky
Eric Lindros
Jay Bouwmeester
Jason Spezza

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
Leafaholix said:
I'm pretty sure the youngest player ever was Sidney Crosby at age 16 and 3 or so months.

Other very young players would have been...

Wayne Gretzky
Eric Lindros
Jay Bouwmeester
Jason Spezza
A 15 year old once played for Belarus I believe.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
Doomsday Device said:
Konstantin Zakharau was 15 years 8 months and Kastsitsyn was a couple months older when they played for Belarus in the 2001 World Juniors.
There you go. See, I was right!

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Douggy said:
I'm pretty sure that Crosby set that record last year.

I think Crosby was the youngest Canadian to score at the WJHC.

Maybe a Belorussian or Kazak scored at 15 at some of the lower division U20s, and maybe that's what people are asking here.

Last edited:

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
crosby was the youngest to score for canada but that doesn't necessarily mean he was even the youngest to play for canada...

thanks for everyone that provided info

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah, but isn't it debatable that Alexandrov was actually born in 85?

SIBIR

Dec 9, 2003
Berlin - Novosibirsk

littleHossa

Apr 7, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
SIBIR said:
that is a mistake. Viktor never played for Russia.

here the stats, he always played for Kazakhstan.

http://hockey.penza.net/team.asp?CurrentTournier=177&Team=37
On Russianprospects, Alexandrov's page has links to the 2004 U20 tournament predicting Russia's lineup, which means that at the very least the experts at Russianprospects knew that he was eligible to play for Russia, which makes his 00-01 U20 stats a bit more credible. Also Alexandrov's had rumors of having a false birthdate and being older than he really is, if he was 14, or even 15 in the 2000 tournament, he would of been the youngest player to ever score a goal in the highest division.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
littleHossa said:
On Russianprospects, Alexandrov's page has links to the 2004 U20 tournament predicting Russia's lineup, which means that at the very least the experts at Russianprospects knew that he was eligible to play for Russia, which makes his 00-01 U20 stats a bit more credible. Also Alexandrov's had rumors of having a false birthdate and being older than he really is, if he was 14, or even 15 in the 2000 tournament, he would of been the youngest player to ever score a goal in the highest division.
On Metallurg Mg Alexandrov's page says that he played for Kazakhstan and I remember that he played for Kazakhstan too. He became Russian citizen only this year, as I know. http://www.metallurg.ru/base/player/1132/

And look at Team Russia roster at WJC 2000-2001. There was no Victor Alexandrov.

Senor Rational

Feb 11, 2004
St. Louis
Alexandrov didnt even make thisyears Russian U20 team....

If he played for Russia at u20 when he was 14 in the highest division, wouldnt people be proclaiming him and hyping him and he wouldve gone higher than the third round?

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
He played for Kazakhstan in the 2001 WJC and in the highest division, and yes he turned 15 during the tourney! that is psycho! You'd think he was the second coming of Jesus! And BTW, the youngest player ever to play for canada at the WJC is Jay Boowmeester at 16 years and barely 2 months. Crosby was about a month and a half older than Jay-Bo.

Senor Rational

Feb 11, 2004
St. Louis
Leachmeister2000 said:
He played for Kazakhstan in the 2001 WJC and in the highest division, and yes he turned 15 during the tourney! that is psycho! You'd think he was the second coming of Jesus! And BTW, the youngest player ever to play for canada at the WJC is Jay Boowmeester at 16 years and barely 2 months. Crosby was about a month and a half older than Jay-Bo.
Alexandrov did play in the top division?

If a player at the age of 14-15 plays in a tournament and plays a regular shift not to mention score a goal you'd think he'd be picked higher in the draft. What confuses me is if he hit par in development and hasnt developed much since, the Russian team is more deep this year than prevouis years, or why he didnt make this Russian team or why he wasnt picked higher than the third round.

How has Zhakarov lookeed in previous tournaments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad