Youngest player of all time shunned by NHL for supporting NHLPA?

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Now that leads to a questions:

How many under 18 years old players were in NHL?

When did the last one came to league?

Using Hockey Reference's cutoff date (February 1st), 12 players played at age 17 during 1942-43, 43-44, and 44-45. A few more of them who are listed as 18 year olds might have played some time before their 18th birthday.

Almost all of the listed 16 and 17 year olds come from the World War 2 years, but Chris Treyer played parts of 2(!) seasons between 1923-25 for the St. Patricks, listed at 16 and 17, respectively.

Larry Hillman is listed as a 17 year old for 1954-55, but he turned 18 on February 5th, 1955 and played his first game a month after that.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Initially I angrily thought this thread dumb because he - Guidolin - was by no means youngest when this incident applied (HE WAS FRIGGIN' 27 YEARS OLD).

But a tiny bit of what you came to learn from hockey history has been communicated here, so okay.

The 1925 players' strike cost Hamilton dearly. THAT should be front and foremost.

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I'd... question the source here, or, more accurately, the lack thereof.

I have no beef with Guidolin; however, I can't help but notice he was really no more than a regular player on an absolutely goddawful team, and that his performance in the AHL, QHL or QSHL didn't suggest a player that absolutely HAS to be in the NHL.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I'd... question the source here, or, more accurately, the lack thereof.

I have no beef with Guidolin; however, I can't help but notice he was really no more than a regular player on an absolutely goddawful team, and that his performance in the AHL, QHL or QSHL didn't suggest a player that absolutely HAS to be in the NHL.

Fair enough but the Wirtz family wouldn't have cared if he was a superstar either.

He might have been an average NHLer at 25 but it's not like the Black Hawks really had better options either.

In fact the Black Hawks were such a dumpster fire of a franchise that they finished last in the NHL for 9 years over a 12 year period and the 3 times they didn't finish last included 2 5th place finishes and once in 4th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad