• Thread starter Granlund2Pulkkinen*
  • Start date

MinnHockey

Mar 26, 2011
"D NEAL GOFF – STILLWATER HS
BORN: 09-15-1993
VITALS: 6’-5†/ 185 LBS
STATS: 25 GP 3 G 8 A 11 PTS 26 PIM +7
NOTES: The big guy, while he looks like a gangly uncoordinated kid trying to grow into his body, is also an accomplished track and field star for Stillwater. His USHL rights are owned by the Fargo Force and he could play a year there before moving on to Division I college hockey. The youngest draft eligible as his birthday falls right on the cut off day for the 2011 draft, one day later and he would be 2012 eligible.

SCOUTING REPORT: A strong shutdown defender…uses his reach and mobility to close off lanes and box out would be attackers…shows fast footwork and the ability to close gaps quickly…reads the developing play and is quick to react…surprisingly good all-encompassing mobility especially for his size…his stride could still use some technical coaching due to some unnecessary movements…needs to pack on a good 20-30 pounds of muscle before college…has very limited offensive upside.

COACH QUOTE, Phil Housley: “There’s so much upside to his game and he really wants to learn.â€

DRAFT WATCH: Mid-to-late round draft pick candidate. Goff is pretty new to the limelight for draft prospects but under ex-NHL defenseman Phil Housley his development can go nowhere but up."

http://futureconsiderationsdotca.wo...11-a-tough-year-for-minnesota-high-schoolers/

More info' regarding Goff - see Phil Housley (his HS coach) quote below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Vickers
If you're in the area, head on over to the Xcel Energy Center in St Paul. Starting tomorrow (March 9), the rink will be the host to Minnesota's high school state championship and a good time to get a glimpse at a few of the guys that may be drafted in that very rink come June, including Kyle Rau, who we consider the frontrunner for the Mr. Hockey award.

Dan Stewart has highlighted those in the tournament that may hear their name called on June 25th and 26th: http://futureconsiderationsdotca.wor...igh-schoolers/

You can follow the results of the tournament here: http://www.minnhock.com/

Just had an email sent to me from Stillwater head coach and ex-NHL offensive defenseman Phil Housley, regarding his big stay-at-home defenseman Neal Goff.

"Neal has developed into a complete player. He has great skating ability, has a good stick and doesn't get caught out of position. Neal has to focus on overall strength. He has a big frame and will need to add some muscle. He will gain more confidence and will become more of a physical force.

It has been a pleasure to coach Neal the past 3 years and I look forward to his Senior year in high school. I believe the best is yet to come and he has the passion and character to succeed. He has been one of our main contributing leaders on and off the ice and his teammates listen to what he has to offer."

Unfortunatly this quote did not make it into the FC article but I thought some of you might still like to read it here.

MinnHockey

Mar 26, 2011
Is he likely to get drafted? Never heard of him before.

It seems he's likely to get drafted. During the season no less than 6 NHL teams had a scout or scouts at multiple games and at the end of the season they all still like him a lot. They all like his D zone positioning and quickness... like that he closes gaps fast and has a long reach.. good at getting to puck and getting out of D-zone fast.. his fast leg speed comes from running track (no small feat at 6'-5").. will be one of the top 10 400 meter runners in Minnesota this year... I also heard that his Dad's cousin is Bret Hedican.. heard Bret is teaching Neal many details of the game as well as training instruction and mental techniques to take him to next levels of hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad