Youngest Player Ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
I think you mean Don Keenan but he was really 21 years old.

The player who was the youngest ever played for Boston in the 40's and then coached them in the 70's. There's a couple of clues. He also had a brother that played in the NHL.

Masao said:
I think there was a goaltender in the 50s who played as a 17 years old

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Bep Guidolin was the youngest player ever - 16 when he made his debut for Boston in 1942-43 during the talent-starved war period. Had a decent career, finished 9th in league scoring in 1949-50. Was only 26 when he played his last NHL game.

Harry Lumley was barely 17 when he made his debut in goal for the Red Wings in 1943-44 ... youngest goaltender ever, and I believe the second-youngest player.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Pierre Turgeon was barely 18 when he began playing in the nhl he was born on August 28th 1969 and started the 1987 season with the Buffalo Sabres on opening night.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Leaf Lander said:
clark was 17 in nhl i beleive

so was alan bester

Clark was almost 19 and Bester was 19.

Youngest player ever drafted was Guy Chouinard - born October 20, 1956 and taken in the 1974 draft. He played 5 NHL games in 1974-75 ... if he played those early enough in the season he's the youngest player in the post-expansion era.

If he didn't play those games early in the season, that distinction belongs to either Grant Mulvey (born Sept 17, 1976; debuted October 1974) or Patrick Marleau (born September 15, 1979;debuted October 1997).

KOVALEV10*

I think the youngest of the last 10 years is Bergeron? I think he was 17 or 18 in his first nhl game.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
KOVALEV10 said:
I think the youngest of the last 10 years is Bergeron? I think he was 17 or 18 in his first nhl game.
17 isn't possibly anymore seeing that players must be 18 by some day in August or September of their draft year and there are no NHL games before October.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
norrisnick said:
17 isn't possibly anymore seeing that players must be 18 by some day in August or September of their draft year and there are no NHL games before October.

Presently, it's impossible to be younger than Patrick Marleau, who was born on the cutoff day of the draft and stepped straight into the NHL after being drafted.

The only time younger players were drafted was 1974, when the first two rounds of the draft were open to anyone who turned 18 during the year (in response to the WHA poaching young players). Chouinard and Mulvey were the only two guys born after September 15, making them the youngest drafted players ever.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Blackburn has to be on the list..I remember them making a big deal because he was one of the youngest goalies ever to play in the NHL.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Just for info' sake, the youngest player in the CFL had a hockey connection. Ron Howell played as a 16 year old. He was the brother of Harry Howell who is probably considered the 3rd greatest Ranger defenseman after Leetch and Park. I tell ya, I know all the stuff that doesn't matter.

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
He played in the CFL as a 16 year old? That is something that I'd like to know more about. He was the Outstanding Canadian in 1958 one year and set records.

I know Ron Howell played for the Rangers as well and was a two-sport player before Gerry James of the Leafs and Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

mcphee said:
Just for info' sake, the youngest player in the CFL had a hockey connection. Ron Howell played as a 16 year old. He was the brother of Harry Howell who is probably considered the 3rd greatest Ranger defenseman after Leetch and Park. I tell ya, I know all the stuff that doesn't matter.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
ClassicHockey said:
He played in the CFL as a 16 year old? That is something that I'd like to know more about. He was the Outstanding Canadian in 1958 one year and set records.

I know Ron Howell played for the Rangers as well and was a two-sport player before Gerry James of the Leafs and Winnipeg Blue Bombers.
It's one of those things I remember from the back of a football card. If you rubbed a coin on the back, trivial info. would appear. I didn't know he played hockey. I did have cards of Gerry James as a Bomber and as a Leaf.

Classic, I'm starting to wonder if I'm right on this one. I looked up some Ticat records, and they show him starting in 54, when he was 19 or 20. I think he came up from Jr. and played a game or 2 as a 16 year old, though I can't find proof. Unless I'm mixing him up with Tommy Grant, another old Ticat. I'll keep looking.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad