Young talent? We are the worst team in the NHL ....

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Not surprising with Maatta out and only worsened by dealing Despres.

Wes C Addle

Bernard Shakey
Jul 4, 2007
Allentown, Pa
That is what it looks like when for years a team,

Trades draft picks for rental UFAs
Drafts poorly
Develops Talent poorly
Exhibits poor Asset Management

We've discussed ad nauseam over the last couple seasons about how inept the organization has been at those. It's intriguing/frightening to see where they go from here. Especially since there are so many leftovers in the front office from the previous regime.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I'm not sure what this proves really.
Recent Cup winners are near the bottom.
Edmonton at the tippy top.

What it really boils down to is how good the older players are. For instance, our older players suck for the most part while the Kings' and Blackhawks' older guys are awesome/contribute to Cup wins.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
If you looked at some other metrics than TOI, such as point production, I'm sure we'd actually be even further into last place. I imagine a majority of teams have individual players under 24 that would eclipse the production of all of our under 24 players combined.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
The fact that we have only 1 guy under 26 contributing in a top6/top4 role (Maatta), then Bennett who is being used in a 3rd/4th line role is pretty damning. I didn't count Pouliot because he's only here due to injuries. Compare that to a team like the Ducks/Preds/Habs.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
I just wonder if the pens 3 AGMs are trying to sign any NCAA UFAas. If they are not, then what the the hell are they doing. This is one way to get young talent without giving up any assets.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
So what this is saying is that we have not drafted/developed well, especially at the forward positions, and that our core is getting older.

Stop the presses, I wish someone, anyone, on this site had made those observations before.

Also, as pointed out it is a deceptive stat, much like the 'trusim' that a team can not devote so much cap space to 4 or 5 players and win. EVERY team who is in the playoffs, and especially the teams most likely to win a cup devote around a third to forty percent of their cap space to a handful of players. Same here. The better teams are older, the crappy teams for the most part are young.

But as said there is a minor point to the idea, namely we should have drafted and developed better to round out the team. But again, even that minor revelation is no revelation to anyone who is not a moron.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
We don't need a chart to tell us the Pens blow at developing young players.

The more troubling stat is that from 2007-2011, all of their draft picks have combined for 6 playoff points.

And the guy who has all of those points, the org has soured on and they tried to trade him.

But they have lots of experience...

... with playoff failure.

Incompetence at its finest.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
My feelings about this...

1. Duh
2. If Hockeybuzz can see it its obvious
3. The Ghost of Mark Eaton says hi! or in other words, washed up vets getting their last shots are way more important than letting young guys get their feet wet... they cant succeed if they are never ever given a real shot

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Speaking of young talent;

Now, this topic is something that I saw being mentioned on HFBoards here. The premise interested me and so I decided that I would look and see if you could really class him as a bust yet or not. Now, there is no solid definition of what a bust is (well, a bust in hockey terms) but normally you can get a good idea by looking at how they have done and what they were expected to be capable of when drafted, or brought into the team.

Beau Bennett was drafted 20th overall by the Penguins in the 2010 NHL Entry draft in Los Angeles, down the road from his home town of Gardena, California. Bennett is the highest drafted Californian born and bred player in an area that is looking to see an increase in the number of players that are brought up in the county. When he was drafted Bennett was tipped to have a potential top 6 ability and the skillset to become a 25-25 kind of player.

Read more; http://t.co/XuiuRc9b9C

I like Bennett as a person and thinks he tries a lot. Whether that is enough to keep him is down to MJ.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
The Pens organizational decision making should come into serious question.

They should have given Maata until December to rehab.
Should have tried to trade Scuds, Kunitz and Martin in the offseason.
Shouldn't have signed Ehrhoff.
Played Despres, Harrington, and Dumo and lived with their growing pains.
Added a Vet D man through FA, no more than a 2 year deal. Physical preferred.
Traded Sutter
Kept Sunqvist here
Kept Goc as 3rd line center
Cut Adams.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Anybody know how many scouts we have active in Europe?
I know we have a Dir of Euro Scouting, but wonder how many scouts actually are there.
Since Shero/DB and the shift back to North America, I wonder if Euro players will be allowed back in the mix...obviously we have Maatta, Sundquist, KK....but I thought all those guys were in NA JUniors....could be wrong?....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad