Young Superstars traded

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
LeClair was not yet a star (let alone superstar) when Montreal did that trade, they added Desjardins/Dionne to acquire a star in that deal with the Flyers, he didn't had a 20 goal season yet.

In the traded before being star you have Iginla also.

Speeking of LeClair, Reechi was traded at 23 to the flyers after a 113 pts season.

Mogilny/Kovalchuk/Paul Coffey were 26.

damphousse 23/24

Shanahan was not traded right ? He shifted team at 23 too.

Richer was 24/25, with 2 50 goal season for the Habs.

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
Surprised Tom Barrasso hasn't been mentioned. 23 when traded to Pittsburgh.

Eric Desjardins was in his 7th season playing in the NHL, but was only still 25 when dealt to the Flyers.

Alexander Mogilny was 25 when traded to Vancouver.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Geeez. It seems my view of what constitutes a "Superstar" is waaay more strict than most people if this thread is any indication.

Reactions: Ofuzz

Ofuzz

Jul 11, 2006
Dionne and Carpenter were the first two guys I thought of. Dionne being in the superstar group is self-explanatory.
Carpenter is a little different case but he already had a 50 goal season under his belt.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
How about Jim Carey? 22 years old on his way to Boston a season after winning the Vezina and getting Calder and Hart nominations his first few seasons.
Not really a superstar, but Langway was 24-25 when he went to Washington.
Luongo wasn't a star yet on Long Island and got traded too soon at 22. 4 years later he was traded again.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Oates was 27 but had only played 3 full seasons.

Luongo at age 21, Jokinen at 22 heading to FLA in the infamous Parrish/Kvasha deal.

That was Jokinen's second trade as well. He had previously been traded by the Kings (who drafted him) as part of the Palffy trade.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I was a bit surprised that Carolina traded a 26 year old talented forward last year, one year after the prior Calder trophy winner had a career-high 37 goals (6th in the NHL).

Jeff Skinner was a three-time 30-goal scorer in Carolina, and yet he was shipped to Buffalo where he immediately had a 40-goal campaign and just inked a $72 million deal.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Val Bure 24 when he was traded for fellow superstar Jonas Höglund (who was 26 and thus missed the thread cut by a mere year).

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Would Wayne Gretzky to the Kings be #1 all time biggest superstar traded ?

That would be a huge yes. If I were more technically proficient I would post a picture of Captain Obvious.

Smart looking chap he is.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Cam Neely was 21

Mickey Redmond

Tony Esposito

Pierre Larouche

Rick Vaive

Man the level of superstar is really dropping here.

Neely went on to become the best position player of this group but he certainly wasn't a superstar when he was traded.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Repost/quote from HoH top-100 players project re: Upper-Division Hall-of-Famer Earl Seibert:

"Rookie campaign- no surprise: no early-season missed games in 1930-31.
Next year, he held out "Until Thanksgiving Day(!)" In the Depression-Era 48-game season context, that meant he missed the opening three games.
Next two seasons- played all 48 games.
Fifth season- now there, he missed the opening eight games for the Rangers- and that, in all probability, set the stage for his swap-exit from New York- over to the Black Hawks."

The piece NYR got back in return was fellow HoFer Art Coulter. Coulter was c. 4½ months away from his 26th birthday.
Earl Seibert was c. 2 months past his 24th birthday. Coulter was great. Earl Seibert was greater. [And younger.]

Reactions: VanIslander

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Marcel Dionne.

Barry Pederson.

Jimmy Carson.

Mark Recchi.

Does Taylor Hall count?

Was Pederson ever really a star ? His "star" days would have been before I started following and I don't recall anyone ever talking about how good he was. From what I hear about him, he's only remembered as the 1st round pick the Leafs traded to the Devils that became Scott Niedermayer.

Bobby Carpenter was 23 when he was part of the trade from Washington to the Rangers.
Rick Middleton was 22 his final season in New York before getting shipped to Boston.
Tony Amonte and Doug Weight were both around 22 when they each got traded from NYR.

Carpenter was a star ? For real ? I thought he was a good bottom 6 player.

Almonte and Weight wouldn't have been stars at the time.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Was Pederson ever really a star ? His "star" days would have been before I started following and I don't recall anyone ever talking about how good he was. From what I hear about him, he's only remembered as the 1st round pick the Leafs traded to the Devils that became Scott Niedermayer.

Almonte and Weight wouldn't have been stars at the time.
Barry Pederson was a star on the Bruins in the early '80s.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Goalie Harry Lumley won the Stanley Cup as the starter for the Red Wings in 1950 in his fourth trip to the Stanley Cup Finals! (Ending the Leafs dynasty). He had been 4th in Hart voting.

Then, as still only a 23-year-old star, he was shockingly sent to Chicago (to make room for young legend Terry Sawchuk), Lumley eventually winning the Vezina and two 1st team all-star nods for a lowly Leafs squad in the 1950's. He would be inducted into the HHOF.

Last edited:

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Unless I'm misreading here, I think you're mixing up a pair of terrible late 80s/early 90s trades.
Pederson went to Vancouver for Cam Neely. Tom Kurvers went to the Leafs for the pick that became Scott Niedermayer.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Was Pederson ever really a star ? His "star" days would have been before I started following and I don't recall anyone ever talking about how good he was.
Barry Pederson looked like he was on a certain Hall of Fame path up to the summer of 1984. After his third season he was barely 23 and had just had back-to-back 107 and 116 point seasons, leading the Bruins both times (the B's had finished 1st overall and 3rd overall those two seasons). He barely missed being the League's 2nd-team All Star center (behind peak Gretzky) in 1983-84, just behind Bryan Trottier.

Injuries in 1984-85 and surgery derailed his career, though it's often overlooked that he actually outscored Cam Neely the first year (1986-87) each was with their new teams.
Well, he was a major hype when he joined the NHL.
Sports_Illustrated_70926_19810223-001-775-cover.jpg

His first three seasons were quite impressive, though hardly living up to the S.I. hype (above). But in his fourth season, he scored 53 goals and 95 points (still only 21 years old!) and looked like a sure star. But he couldn't maintain it, and never again reached that kind of offensive form.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Barry Pederson looked like he was on a certain Hall of Fame path up to the summer of 1984. After his third season he was barely 23 and had just had back-to-back 107 and 116 point seasons, leading the Bruins both times (the B's had finished 1st overall and 3rd overall those two seasons). He barely missed being the League's 2nd-team All Star center (behind peak Gretzky) in 1983-84, just behind Bryan Trottier.

Injuries in 1984-85 and surgery derailed his career, though it's often overlooked that he actually outscored Cam Neely the first year (1986-87) each was with their new teams.

Well, he was a major hype when he joined the NHL.
Sports_Illustrated_70926_19810223-001-775-cover.jpg

His first three seasons were quite impressive, though hardly living up to the S.I. hype (above). But in his fourth season, he scored 53 goals and 95 points (still only 21 years old!) and looked like a sure star. But he couldn't maintain it, and never again reached that kind of offensive form.

Pederson was a star 4 years before I was born, so that explains it.

Thanks for the info.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Surprised Tom Barrasso hasn't been mentioned. 23 when traded to Pittsburgh.

Eric Desjardins was in his 7th season playing in the NHL, but was only still 25 when dealt to the Flyers.

Alexander Mogilny was 25 when traded to Vancouver.
That Barrasso trade is still trickling for the Sabres (and actually it goes back even further to 1981 when the Sabres traded Rick Martin for the Barrasso pick)

`martintrade.png

Reactions: Normand Lacombe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad