Young stars Sept 8 -11 th

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm not a big Munzie fan.....but the Stanley "piling on" is stupid. Why don't we tear apart Kosmachuk or Sutter? JK. Not sure what everybody expects from a 18th oa from a draft where the blue chippers were long gone. The kid is a LONG term project, might be nothing, might be something.

Why should we address former prospects that are no longer are part of the organization?

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Vincent response on the radio a little while ago was priceless when asked about stanley. Delayed and sighed before answering. I thought he was going to be hard on him. But It was like he knew he was getting crapped on by everybody. Gave a great answer and sounded sure he will play in the nhl.

lablite47

Jan 22, 2013
Wpg
Sorry, those rel numbers were off. This is correct:
DJeoOc-V4AAkiRY.jpg

So anyone know why Beauvilier was not signed by Florida? If I'm reading this correctly, he ended up with the best fancy stats of the lot. Albeit for one game. Should be a good add to the Moos eat least?

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
So anyone know why Beauvilier was not signed by Florida? If I'm reading this correctly, he ended up with the best fancy stats of the lot. Albeit for one game. Should be a good add to the Moos eat least?

Case in point? This is the issue with posting advanced stats. Francis Beauvillier is not a pro prospect in any way, shape or form. You and I have a better chance of playing in the NHL.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Single game CF aren't useful.

Last shift, 6v5 Stanley is on D. They lose the face-off and 2 shot attempts later his CF% drops from 61% to 54%.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Single game CF aren't useful.

Last shift, 6v5 Stanley is on D. They lose the face-off and 2 shot attempts later his CF% drops from 61% to 54%.

Descriptively single game Corsi is very useful... it tells you how a player out shot which typically aligns with some areas in performance.

Almost every high level coach looks at shot differentials in between periods nowadays .

Anyone can have a strong performance for one game... but it's more likely a good player than a bad player.

It's just less predictive of future performance as it is smaller sample so there is a larger confidence interval.

Also, no, your example is wrong... since Corsi does not count for goalie pulled situations.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Descriptively single game Corsi is very useful... it tells you how a player out shot which typically aligns with some areas in performance.

Almost every high level coach looks at shot differentials in between periods nowadays .

Anyone can have a strong performance for one game... but it's more likely a good player than a bad player.

It's just less predictive of future performance as it is smaller sample so there is a larger confidence interval.

Also, no, your example is wrong... since Corsi does not count for goalie pulled situations.

It is very sensitive to small segments in each game because of sample size. You didn't specify that the Corsi stats were 5v5, though that probably should be assumed.

Coaches might use it period by period, but it's then more likely to reflect on a line or pairing or zone starts than for individual players, which stabilize over a larger sample.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Honest assessment would look like this

I wouldn't go that far but even Garret was mentioning a scout that wasn't to thrilled with his play.

It's becoming harder to defend the pick as his underlying numbers (shot metrics seem to be poor everywhwre) he was a negative possession player on Windser and brought up the rear in this tournament.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Pronman had some nice things to say about Niku though:

Niku showed well for me, and where in the past I haven’t seen a ton from him, he showed flashes in Penticton of significant offensive upside between his skating and skill. I think the jury is out on how he checks top level players and handles the transition to the AHL, but I will at the least be watching him closely.

Edit: Lots of interesting stuff in that Athletic article about some other prospects coming up for teams in our division: Chicago's DeBrincat and Fortin; Bayreuther, Caamano, Guyanov, Hintz and Robertson from Dallas; Wild's Eriksson Ek, Kuni, Lodnia, and Soucy; and the Blues' Klim Kostin, Kyrou, Musil, Tage Thompson, Robert Thomas, Toropchenko and Walman.

The Athletic is proving to be a pretty interesting so far even with their limited Jets coverage.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I wouldn't go that far but even Garret was mentioning a scout that wasn't to thrilled with his play.

It's becoming harder to defend the pick as his underlying numbers (shot metrics seem to be poor everywhwre) he was a negative possession player on Windser and brought up the rear in this tournament.

I don't see many people defending the pick. Most of us were outraged from the moment he was selected.

Still, hoping for the best.... :dunno:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I don't see many people defending the pick. Most of us were outraged from the moment he was selected.

Still, hoping for the best
.... :dunno:

I would say you nailed it for the majority of Jets fans on this board.

The pick sucked but he is our prospect so might as well cross the fingers and pray. Some days he makes it easier than others but the good news is pretty soon I won't have to watch him since he will be heading back to the OHL. Some times its just better for me to stat watch and get the memo. :pullhair:

JBM

Feb 1, 2017
Canada
Hugg is an interesting prospect.. do people think he has pro level potential?
Just comparing his stats to Vesalainen in SuperElit they are pretty similar and very similar in age.
I realize he's much smaller but there would be room to grow at that age from 5'10.

Just wondering about him as I didn't see much hype about him coming and no real comments on how he played in the tourny.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Hugg is an interesting prospect.. do people think he has pro level potential?
Just comparing his stats to Vesalainen in SuperElit they are pretty similar and very similar in age.
I realize he's much smaller but there would be room to grow at that age from 5'10.

Just wondering about him as I didn't see much hype about him coming and no real comments on how he played in the tourny.

I thought he was an interesting invite - but he didn't impress me at this tournament. I don't know how much he's played on the North American ice though, and things were pretty chippy and I don't think he ever quite got his feet under him.

JBM

Feb 1, 2017
Canada
I thought he was an interesting invite - but he didn't impress me at this tournament. I don't know how much he's played on the North American ice though, and things were pretty chippy and I don't think he ever quite got his feet under him.

Awesome thanks for the report, I could definitely see it being intimidating for a young European like him. Hopefully he lights up the OHL this year and he comes back with some more grit!

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Awesome thanks for the report, I could definitely see it being intimidating for a young European like him. Hopefully he lights up the OHL this year and he comes back with some more grit!

Another team could draft him. He may not be back.

JBM

Feb 1, 2017
Canada
Another team could draft him. He may not be back.

I know he probably won't be and it wasn't worth signing him right now. I'm sure the Jets will be watching closely now though and could try to draft him next year if he does well

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I know he probably won't be and it wasn't worth signing him right now. I'm sure the Jets will be watching closely now though and could try to draft him next year if he does well

He could not be signed because he played in europe last season. Undrafted "europeans" need to be age 22 to be signed as a UFA in the summer. He was always going back into the draft pool.

WiscoJet

May 3, 2016
Finally got around to watching all 3...having a six month old sure does delay sports viewing.

Niku - Just so smooth with skating and moving the puck

Berdin - What a performance Friday night, not just the modern day tall space eating goaltender and actually relies on his reflexes.

Harkins - I see why the analysts say he has a game that translates well to the pros. Really good at passing the puck in tight spaces.

Poolman - Probably will be a corsi darling the way he threw pucks on the net in his one game.

Gawanke - Was good at moving the puck, needs to work on his shot from the point puck came off his stick like he was using a twig.

Stanley - I remember reading after last years Young Stars Tournament a scout said he handled the puck like it was a "grenade". There was nothing I saw this tournament that proved that wrong. We probably squandered an asset, believe it or not it does happen with draft picks, we were spoiled rotten up until this point on Jets 2.0 first round picks. All can be forgiven if the front office learns from their mistake. I am a very patient and conservative sports fan but not much to be positive about Stanley.

Organization actually has some young depth on the blue line with the Moose. Long, long, long overdue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad