Young Stars Roster World Cup

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Im getting pretty busy right now but really hope that someone starts the chatter by posting some predictions. I think if it's 23 and under that Scheif and Trouba both make the team.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Im getting pretty busy right now but really hope that someone starts the chatter by posting some predictions. I think if it's 23 and under that Scheif and Trouba both make the team.

Not sure about everyone else but not really interested much in that team's roster TBH.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg

Would his age preclude Trouba from making the US team? Or is it players under 23 that don't make their national side?

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/09/08/hockey-world-cup-young-stars-gm-possible-roster

According to SI (what? Hey you asked for some chatter :laugh:) this is what they think Chiarelli could be going for (don't ask me why):

Forwards:

Sam Bennett
Jonathan Drouin
Jack Eichel
Alex Galchenyuk
Johnny Gaudreau
Jonathan Huberdeau
Nathan MacKinnon
Connor McDavid
Sean Monahan
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Brandon Saad
Mark Schiefele (hey I'm just copy-pasting man)
Ryan Strome

Defenseman:
Aaron Ekblad
Dougie Hamilton
Seth Jones
Ryan Murray
Derrick Pouliot
Morgan Rielly
Jacob Trouba

Goalies:
John Gibson
Malcolm Subban
Connor Hellebuyck

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Button has a similar prediction, with Hellebuyck, Trouba and Scheifele making the team.

Lowry as a 'possiblility'.

If Ehlers has a strong rookie season, perhaps he makes Team Europe. That would be fantastic if all four (or five) of our young players compete in the tournament.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Still dislike the fact there is a Young Stars team. But if any Jets make it, it will be good experience.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Still dislike the fact there is a Young Stars team. But if any Jets make it, it will be good experience.

Ya, its gimmicky. The problem is that international hockey is not very competitive. Adding two teams makes it a much more interesting tournament, even if its not a true country vs country event.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Button has a similar prediction, with Hellebuyck, Trouba and Scheifele making the team.

Lowry as a 'possiblility'.

I honestly don't think Lowry has any business being in the discussion.

igorulanov

Jan 31, 2015
Winnipeg
Ya, its gimmicky. The problem is that international hockey is not very competitive. Adding two teams makes it a much more interesting tournament, even if its not a true country vs country event.

That's the bigger question for me - is this going to be a tournament, or more of a hockey exhibition?

Are these guys going to be trying their absolute hardest to win something, or are they going to be concerned about not getting too battered and bruised before the regular season starts.

Also, it's one thing to win a Worlds or an Olympic Medal...where does this rank amongst the other competitions?

As long as it's good, competitive hockey (vs. a 3 week All-Star Game type intensity thing), i don't care too much about it not being true country vs country...I actually kinda like it!.

Side note - is hockey almost starting to feel a little like boxing? How many championship belts are there now in hockey? Stanley, Worlds, Olys, World Jrs., now this. Trophies and Medals and Ribbons for everyone!...:rant:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Both the Slovaks and the Swiss have shown the ability to beat Canada in best v best tournaments in the very recent past. Hell the Latvians (country of what 2 million) nearly managed to take out the Canadians last go round.

There's more than enough depth. The NHL decided to be gimmicky. I could not possibly care less about this tournament due to this. Particularly in pre-season where no one will be in game shape and won't want to get hurt before NHL season. Pass from me for this thing. Bring on the Olympics in 2018, real best versus best international hockey.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
I don't care about the roster, I hate this idea so much. Why is the NHL hosting "international" tournaments at all? I'd much rather see this left in the hands of the IIHF.
I'm sure I'm going to watch because in the summer, what other hockey am I gonna watch? Youtube, Ivan Hlinka and now this. But it's garbage for sure. "Go rest of Europe, go!" "Yeah, I hope fully-grown Canada beats the tar out of young mostly Canadians (with some Americans but not-Europeans because they need their young players in order to compete) team"

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
I really don't care about this tournament. I'll be outside enjoying the weather and ignoring this. It's such crap. Like everything the NHL does when it involves international play.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
What's good about this out is how the hockey world view our prospects in regards to elite players.

If
Schiefele
Trouba
HELLYBUYCK

And Ehlers makes it , that is good for the Jets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad