Young netminder to Buffalo

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
As for the draft---I expect them to pick a goalie every year.

To acquire some sort of top end prospect talent you will have to overpay.

Another issue to remember---many of these young goalies will lose their waiver exemptions next year.

What Buffalo doesnt want to do is be forced to carry 3 goalies.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
As a Wild fan, what's up with Hackett?

Underperforming in Rochester. Though it's tough to gauge how much of it is him, and how much of it is due to poor defensive play. If or when the Sabres trade Miller this year, I'd expect them to take a look at Hackett in the NHL, especially if we're jockeying for tank position.

I could very well see the organization trying to put him back in Rochester after this season and pursuing another option to split time with Enroth (assuming Miller is gone). His AHL numbers the past two seasons have been pretty underwhelming.

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
Underperforming in Rochester. Though it's tough to gauge how much of it is him, and how much of it is due to poor defensive play. If or when the Sabres trade Miller this year, I'd expect them to take a look at Hackett in the NHL, especially if we're jockeying for tank position.

I could very well see the organization trying to put him back in Rochester after this season and pursuing another option to split time with Enroth (assuming Miller is gone). His AHL numbers the past two seasons have been pretty underwhelming.

Isn't Hackett waiver eligible next year? I'm not sure that anyone would claim him after not impressing in the AHL this year, but that might play a factor in the decision to pick up another NHL goalie.

If they do go that route and leave Hackett in Rochester next year, there are plenty of low-end potential 1B/2 goalies that they could bring in. Thomas Greiss, Khudobin, Gustavsson, etc.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
I'm partial to Khudobin but Greiss isn't a bad option and both are UFAs after this season. My only reservation is that both will be 28 at the start of next season and will end up being a couple years passed their peak when the rebuilt Sabres should (will...haha) be contending for the Cup. If they are looking to sign a young backup it would be best served to wait two seasons until we're positioned to win. The way goalies develop they would be hard pressed to draft one this year and have him NHL ready at the same time the skaters are. We're stuck with the farm system or trading/signing a goalie in the future but hopefully not until the rest of the team is close to contending.

Last edited:

buffalorules

Apr 29, 2011
Ivan Nalimov really caught my eye in the subway super series. He's big and really athletic but raw. I'd love if they threw a late round pick or signed him. He could develop and come over when ever he's ready!

Don't really see a point trading for a goalie at this point. Our pipeline isn't as good as other teams but drafting or signing young raw goalies and developing them is the best way of getting a good goalie without giving too much up.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad