Proposal: Young LD for Petry

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Dermott is a cost controlled 21 year old, petry is 30 years old with some years left on his contract.
No team should be giving away young dman with good to great potential for dman like petry(who i like and would want on the leafs).

So keep Dermott. He's excellent on the 3rd pair and has strong potential to be good moving up. He could be really good. But I don't see why any team should trade the better player now with term + for a player that could be as good as Petry is now but could not. Montreal doesn't need the space. They can afford to be patient.

Also comparing jordie benn to dermott is very disingenuous. He has struggled to be a good nhl dman for a long time. Just cause Hes had a good 9 game sample doesnt undo the last 6 years. Compare that to Dermott who has looked good at every level of competition hes played, its just silly.

Jordie Benn has had excellent underlying numbers for most of his career barring 2017-2018 (when he played to high in the line-up). The only reason I brought up Benn was to point out that being a good bottom pair D-man doesn't mean you're going to do more. There are plenty of other names I can use too if it makes you feel better.[/QUOTE]

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Funny enough, TOI isn't really a measure of if a D-man is good or not.

And Maatta was 5th in TOI/GP in 15/16 and 3rd in TOI/GP in 16/17 on the Pens runs. Behind such great D-men like Hainsey and Daley.

You think Maatta is a good young D-man. I'm not a fan. Enjoy him on the Pens.

It is if you're trusted with and succeed in those minutes on a team that won the Cup.

But he's not your thing, which I can understand because of his footspeed in a league that's all about speed right now. That's why I want the Pens to part with him, in spite of his proven contributions to a Cup winner, solid production, and good underlying numbers. I'm not sure what exactly Habs fans are expecting here...Sergachev calibre? Because that's not going to happen.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
IMO no team is going to pay out the nose for a guy who is over 30 like that. Now if he was 28 then it would make a difference to most GM's but the fact that he will be 31 in a month means his best years are behind him.

No team will move a top prospect D + 1st + for him. If that is the type of return expected he will sit like Tanev has in Vancouver.

Especially considering that the Habs only moved a 2nd and 5th for him originally. We'll see what others have to say.

lol petry was mailing it in in Edm...he's a point per game Dman so far this year after 12 goals and 42 pts last year. he's very much in his prime at 30, an elite top 3 dman and worth more than you're willing to admit - or give up. what he went for 3 years ago is irrelevant

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
He's the Leafs top prospect and most certainly not a B prospect. He's in the AHL at 18 and impressed Leaf management in training camp.

Either way, like I said, you guys only paid a 2nd for him to get him. Much older now he will not return 2-3 times that price in trade.
petry would instantly be a top 2 in TO and form an excellent duo on PP with reilly

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
It is if you're trusted with and succeed in those minutes on a team that won the Cup.

But he's not your thing, which I can understand because of his footspeed in a league that's all about speed right now. That's why I want the Pens to part with him, in spite of his proven contributions to a Cup winner, solid production, and good underlying numbers. I'm not sure what exactly Habs fans are expecting here...Sergachev calibre? Because that's not going to happen.

Hainsey and Daley were more trusted. So no.

I wouldn't call Matta's underlying numbers good. They're fine, but his relative numbers are usually poor, he doesn't have many D zone starts and I suspect his strong stats (CF/xGF/production rate) are driven in part by the fact that Pittsburgh's offense is great.

Montreal fans would expect somebody with upside. Someone that's a good puckmover and skates well. That has vision.

Montreal's going for speed. No one is expecting Montreal to get a legit blue chip prospect for Petry, but he's a really good D-man with term. And mobility is non-negotiable.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Petry has been playing like a #1 D since Weber went down last season (ideally he slots in as an elite #2 on a contender). He matches up against top lines and can eat about ~23-24 minutes a night while taking 45-50% of his draws in the ozone.

Hes perfectly suited for todays NHL and he still has some term left at a good cap hit. Youre not gonna get him for spare parts, especially if youre Toronto.

Last edited:

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
So keep Dermott. He's excellent on the 3rd pair and has strong potential to be good moving up. He could be really good. But I don't see why any team should trade the better player now with term + for a player that could be as good as Petry is now but could not. Montreal doesn't need the space. They can afford to be patient.

Jordie Benn has had excellent underlying numbers for most of his career barring 2017-2018 (when he played to high in the line-up). The only reason I brought up Benn was to point out that being a good bottom pair D-man doesn't mean you're going to do more. There are plenty of other names I can use too if it makes you feel better.
[/QUOTE]
Ofc leafs would never offer dermott for Petry. Its not even a realistic ask. Not even close lmao. I was comparing dermott and Benn which is a silly comparison.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Typical trade board thread. No one wants to trade anything of value and the "kids" knocking on the door are sure bets to be as good or better.

Reactions: Garnet76

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
To mtl
Seks
Lagesson

To edm
Petry

To edm
Alzner
Gustav Olofsson

To mtl
Klefbom

It's a good deal, Alzner even has better advanced stats than Sekera!!11

cXqdQ9A.png

Reactions: Baksfamous112

oilers84

Jun 24, 2009
You asked for a young lhd and lagesson is one and to make cap work seks has to go the other way or Russel and you’d have to retain on petry if Russel is the one we are trading to make cap work

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
You asked for a young lhd and lagesson is one and to make cap work seks has to go the other way or Russel and you’d have to retain on petry if Russel is the one we are trading to make cap work

I’m sorry we should have been more specific. We actually want a good young LHD. Not “any” young LHD and a cap dump.

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
I'm not sure what Petry would return in a trade but I think if he was available at the trade deadline a lot of teams would be calling. He was very good last year and has had a good start this year. Yes hes 30 but a cup contending team wont see that as a issue. Hes not 38 and is playing very well.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Hamonic is a 4D and got a 1st ( I suppose somewhat unexpectedly was 12thOA ) and 2 2nds. Petry is a 3D.

Habs have no reason to just get rid of him, so if we arent getting back a good bit better than Hamonic there is no reason to move him. The return that I am most interested in is D prospects/ young players with top pair potential . Obviously the trade would be with a team that needs to win games now.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I think the Habs target someone younger tbh

What would the Habs have to add to Petry, to get a younger, top pairing LHD?

Which team has disposable LHD depth and has an immediate need for a veteran top 4 RHD like Petry?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad