Proposal: Young LD for Petry

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Weber is coming back, Juulsen is looking good, and Fleury and Brook are knocking on the door. We are loaded with RD and need a young LD to grow with our young core.
You don't get ride of a guy like Petry, especially with all of Weber's injury issues the last two years.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Leafs desperately need a top 4 RD and have one of the deepest LD in the league. There would certainly be a deal there somewhere but I suspect there will be significant disagreement in values.

For example Dermott is a no go he might be just as good as Petry by the end of the year and is only 21. However Borgman or Rosen is a rip off. Then you have Sandin but the Leafs are high on him. Then a bunch of depth pieces.. Marincin, Neilsen for example.

A lot will depend on what they want to do with Gardiner as well... but they make good partners here.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Leafs desperately need a top 4 RD and have one of the deepest LD in the league. There would certainly be a deal there somewhere but I suspect there will be significant disagreement in values.

For example Dermott is a no go he might be just as good as Petry by the end of the year and is only 21. However Borgman or Rosen is a rip off. Then you have Sandin but the Leafs are high on him. Then a bunch of depth pieces.. Marincin, Neilsen for example.

A lot will depend on what they want to do with Gardiner as well... but they make good partners here.

Not really. Leafs have a lot of LHD, but Rielly isn't going anywhere, Gardiner is a pending UFA, Dermott is apparently not going anywhere, Marincin (pending UFA), Borgman, Neilsen and Rosen have basically no value to Montreal (given Montreal's depth at LHD). Sandin should have some interest, but he's a recent late first, Montreal would need a fair bit more to consider moving Petry to Toronto.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Not really. Leafs have a lot of LHD, but Rielly isn't going anywhere, Gardiner is a pending UFA, Dermott is apparently not going anywhere, Marincin (pending UFA), Borgman, Neilsen and Rosen have basically no value to Montreal (given Montreal's depth at LHD). Sandin should have some interest, but he's a recent late first, Montreal would need a fair bit more to consider moving Petry to Toronto.
what if Gardiner was extended? I think market for him is going to be high $5M's to $6M as a ceiling, probably 6 years

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011

Well you also have to be realistic too. Petry is 30 and a 2nd pair RD on a contending team although he could play the top pair (which the Leafs are desperate enough to use him as). However he isn't going to return a younger top pairing LD or even a young future top pairing LD 1 for 1 as that is just a poor trade for the other team.

So either it will be Petry + something to make up that value for a younger guy like Dermott or Petry for a young player who might get there (like a Sandin) + a few other things in a package for him (Like Sandin + draft pick + some depth roster player).

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

Unless you are willing to sacrifice a part of your future for Petry then no, we are not interested.

And when I say sacrifice, I mean something that hurt. Like Sandin + 1st + kind of “hurt”

what if Gardiner was extended? I think market for him is going to be high $5M's to $6M as a ceiling, probably 6 years

No interest in Gardiner for now, even extented. We’re riding Reilly & Mete already on our top 4 and having Gardiner signed long term might hurt our chance to keep Reilly and Mete when their contracts are up

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
Unless you are willing to sacrifice a part of your future for Petry then no, we are not interested.

And when I say sacrifice, I mean something that hurt. Like Sandin + 1st + kind of “hurt”

No interest in Gardiner for now, even extented. We’re riding Reilly & Mete already on our top 4 and having Gardiner signed long term might hurt our chance to keep Reilly and Mete when their contracts are up

IMO no team is going to pay out the nose for a guy who is over 30 like that. Now if he was 28 then it would make a difference to most GM's but the fact that he will be 31 in a month means his best years are behind him.

No team will move a top prospect D + 1st + for him. If that is the type of return expected he will sit like Tanev has in Vancouver.

Especially considering that the Habs only moved a 2nd and 5th for him originally. We'll see what others have to say.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
With Reilly as an offensive talented, defensively challenged LHD, I don't see room for another, let alone one who wants north of 5.5M. I think MTL wants a good skater to match their up tempo game, but one with defensive chops.

Petry for Montreal native Scandella? Big LHD, with decent skating and defensive skills. BUFF would've said no after last season, but I'm sure they are already turning on him after a slow start to the season.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
IMO no team is going to pay out the nose for a guy who is over 30 like that. Now if he was 28 then it would make a difference to most GM's but the fact that he will be 31 in a month means his best years are behind him.

No team will move a top prospect D + 1st + for him. If that is the type of return expected he will sit like Tanev has in Vancouver.

We'll see what others have to say.

He’s playing his best hockey right now and he plays a position which is the hardest to fill in the NHL along with legit top 6 C.

There’s absolutely no reason for us to trade him unless it’s that kind of return. I’m sure if MB sent a memo to the other 30 teams he would have several bids and outbids in weeks.

Edit: I would definitely not call Sandin a top prospects. He’s more of a B type prospect than top prospect

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
He’s playing his best hockey right now and he plays a position which is the hardest to fill in the NHL along with legit top 6 C.

There’s absolutely no reason for us to trade him unless it’s that kind of return. I’m sure if MB sent a memo to the other 30 teams he would have several bids and outbids in weeks.

Edit: I would definitely not call Sandin a top prospects. He’s more of a B type prospect than top prospect

He's the Leafs top prospect and most certainly not a B prospect. He's in the AHL at 18 and impressed Leaf management in training camp.

Either way, like I said, you guys only paid a 2nd for him to get him. Much older now he will not return 2-3 times that price in trade.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
With Reilly as an offensive talented, defensively challenged LHD, I don't see room for another, let alone one who wants north of 5.5M. I think MTL wants a good skater to match their up tempo game, but one with defensive chops.
I think for the Petry level, if they want one LHD in return they'll need to pick some things they want and sacrifice others. I guess the offense is an item they could lose, but other than that Gardiner fits the bill pretty well. Also think that Gardiner's next contract will look good well before it expires if he's sub $6M

I'm not sure who's out there in terms of a good skating LHD who's not past his prime and good defensively, if that's available for Petry then fair enough

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011

Petry for Montreal native Scandella? Big LHD, with decent skating and defensive skills. BUFF would've said no after last season, but I'm sure they are already turning on him after a slow start to the season.

Are you talking about Mike or Morgan? Hopefully Mike...

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad