Young Guns draft guide June 26th

Status
Not open for further replies.

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
TCB2004 said:
hadn't seen this mentioned yet but it looks like the Young Guns Hockey folks will also be putting out there draft guide this year.

When is it available?

Jamie

Mar 2, 2002
Victoria, BC
Visit site
I don't know much about them... would anyone suggest getting a copy of their guide? It is quite a bit cheaper than some of the others, but if it's junk, there's not much point spending $15 us reguardless. I'm definetly not trying to diss them as I know nothing of them. Just looking for more info on them.

The Joker*

I've seen Setegouchi play here in Saskatoon, he is a high-calibre player and is deserving of top 15. Not sure top 10 though

TCB2004

Nov 29, 2004
Jamie said:
I don't know much about them... would anyone suggest getting a copy of their guide? It is quite a bit cheaper than some of the others, but if it's junk, there's not much point spending $15 us reguardless. I'm definetly not trying to diss them as I know nothing of them. Just looking for more info on them.

I bought their guide last year along with ISS and RLR. In terms of prospects profiles, it was just as good as the others. They definitely had some insights on some players that the others didn't but the same was true in the other direction as well. I've ordered it again this year.

It's funny that every one of these guides makes a point to say that they aren't mock drafts but then they try and hype how accurate they are. I actually compared where the 3 guides ranked players against where they were actually picked and the YGH guide was the most accurate in terms of 1st round, 2nd round, 3rd round, top 200 and top 300 (ISS only ranked 200). Although to be fair only a few players separated the 3 in the 1st and 2nd rounds. YGH was #1 in every category (except one where they tied with ISS - either in top 100 or top 200, I don't remember). I was surprised. RLR was last in every category.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Jamie said:

Their profiles are really good. Far from the usual "world class skating...Possesses good hockey sense … A smart hockey player … Not overly quick but has very good hands and a strong understanding of the game …".(from newyorkrangers.com)

YGH gives a really good picture of the player. Its hard to get a accurate picture from any guide of a player you have never seen but for me its great. I usually get shot glimpses of most prospects at the WJC ect. and YGH is a great compliment. They do a great job at bringing up interesting aspects of a prospects game, what will make him successful in the NHL.

They also have some interesting insight about some prospects, not earthshattering or sensational but small interesting stuff that gives you a better view of a prospect.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
The top 15 list actually looks pretty good, better than most I've seen. Price is a bit high at 11 but at least Rask isn't on it. I hate seeing people rate Rask and Price so highly this year just because they are the top goalies - only because there have been so many good goalie drafts lately.

No goalie in this year's class stand out an no goalies should be among the top 15 picks in my opinion.

Switch Price for Bourdon and take this list to the bank.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
TCB2004 said:
sorry, forgot the link: http://younggunshockey.com/

Interesting list...does anyone who has seen Setoguchi or McArdle think they should be Top 10?

I have seen them, they are both a little high but pretty safe NHL prospects if you ask me, it looks like Young Guns puts a lot of stock into risk awareness. As evidenced by the fairly low Pouliot ranking.

VernonForrest

Feb 20, 2003
San Diego
This year instead of purchasing redline, I foolishly ordered the YGH draft edge which is now up. Let me tell you it isnt worth the 10 dollars US they are asking, facts arent straight on several prospects, and their profiles are the regular stating of a players history and useless information instead of a real scouting report. Their product is somewhat similar to what I have seen from ISS. At least redline provides a half decent report on useful stuff.

rtafts

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Are there any draft reports that will be available in book stores or stuff like that? Or are they mostly order over the internet?

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
Vernon Forrest: As a member of the Young Guns team, I'm sorry to hear you weren't happy with your subscription. If you have a moment in the near future, I'd like to hear more from you and would invite you to send me an email at [email protected]. Just reference that the email is for "Chief" in the subject line and I'll be sure to get it. We pride ourselves in paying attention to our subscribers and we'd love to know what kind of info you'd like us to include in the future and welcome any other comments you might have.

The funny thing about the style of our player profiles is that it's actually the result of the type of info the majority of our subscribers requested. That's not to say we can't add more info. We just have to draw the line somewhere. Yesterday, we started mailing out our hardcopy versions of the draft guide and it was 37 pages long (and that's only the first part of this year's draft guide).

What we've tried to do is provide our subscribers with an idea of who each player is. We'll list his strong points and weaknesses and describe his style of play. We'll explain why we think he will or won't develop in the future. When we have to choose what type of info to include on a player, we will sometimes include more biographical info on a player, rather than critique all of his skills, because there are times where we feel that biographical info is more telling about a player's makeup or his game.

Here's a few examples:

Chad Denny - He could fight more often than he does but he feels strongly about not becoming the stereotype that Native North American Indians who play hockey are all fighters. We think that says something about where his game is headed.

Ray Macias - When he was asked about the possibility of there not being a 2005 draft, he replied that he'd welcome the opportunity to go back to his junior team to work on his game. That showed us a lack of pretension and a realization that he needed to improve different aspects of his game. We liked that.

Christian Hanson - Sometimes we'll include biographical info just because we think it's interesting. We found it ironic that Hanson, who won the USHL's award for gentlemanly play, is the son Dave Hanson a former goon who was the inspiration for the Hanson Brothers of Slap Shot fame (and got to play himself in the film).

Hope this post provides some insight on our draft guide and we hope to hear from you. Take it easy.

Vinland

Dec 3, 2004
King of Vinland
Chief said:
Vernon Forrest: As a member of the Young Guns team, I'm sorry to hear you weren't happy with your subscription. If you have a moment in the near future, I'd like to hear more from you and would invite you to send me an email at [email protected]. Just reference that the email is for "Chief" in the subject line and I'll be sure to get it. We pride ourselves in paying attention to our subscribers and we'd love to know what kind of info you'd like us to include in the future and welcome any other comments you might have.

The funny thing about the style of our player profiles is that it's actually the result of the type of info the majority of our subscribers requested. That's not to say we can't add more info. We just have to draw the line somewhere. Yesterday, we started mailing out our hardcopy versions of the draft guide and it was 37 pages long (and that's only the first part of this year's draft guide).

What we've tried to do is provide our subscribers with an idea of who each player is. We'll list his strong points and weaknesses and describe his style of play. We'll explain why we think he will or won't develop in the future. When we have to choose what type of info to include on a player, we will sometimes include more biographical info on a player, rather than critique all of his skills, because there are times where we feel that biographical info is more telling about a player's makeup or his game.

Here's a few examples:

Chad Denny - He could fight more often than he does but he feels strongly about not becoming the stereotype that Native North American Indians who play hockey are all fighters. We think that says something about where his game is headed.

Ray Macias - When he was asked about the possibility of there not being a 2005 draft, he replied that he'd welcome the opportunity to go back to his junior team to work on his game. That showed us a lack of pretension and a realization that he needed to improve different aspects of his game. We liked that.

Christian Hanson - Sometimes we'll include biographical info just because we think it's interesting. We found it ironic that Hanson, who won the USHL's award for gentlemanly play, is the son Dave Hanson a former goon who was the inspiration for the Hanson Brothers of Slap Shot fame (and got to play himself in the film).

Hope this post provides some insight on our draft guide and we hope to hear from you. Take it easy.

I hope you say more about Macias than that because it says nothing.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
Yes, there's more info than that in the player profiles. I just gave examples of bits of info which were included in the certain player profiles.

BTW - Type O fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad