Proposal: Young defensive/mobile LHD for Jonathan Drouin

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
The Blues have prospects that might entice you if part of a package. Perunovich, Walman, and Mikkola are all quite mobile, although each have a distinct weakness to their game. Dunn is probably more in line with what you want, but I don't think the Blues would part with him unless they know one of the mentioned before can take over Dunn's minutes.

I am fully aware that the three would need to be part of some bigger deal to snag Drouin, and the Blues would need to trade a forward to fit Drouin. It's not very likely to happen, but I thought I would throw that into the conversation.

Those prospects are as interesting as having a lengthy conversation with a deaf and mute.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
And Montreal isn't interested in trading their best forward, especially for a downgrade.

Now you get it.
I don’t think you get it. Granlund wouldn’t be a downgrade. I’ll provide the simplest of statistics. Since 2016-17 to present:
Gallagher: 161GP 50g 45a 95pts
Granlund: 172GP 53g 96a 149pts

Pretty telling when one guy has more assists than the other guy has total points.

Even if you get rid of Gallagher’s awful 2016-17 year:
Gallagher: 97GP 40g 26a 66pts
Granlund: 91GP 27g 53a 80pts

If you look at TOI/game Granlund played about 1 minute more even strength, two minutes more short handed, and about the same as Gallagher on the power play. So the big difference in TOI is because Granlund can play short handed too. Why doesn’t Gallagher play short handed? He had a grand total of 20 minutes short handed, about 15 seconds per game if you averaged it out.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I'd take Gallagher over Granlund, Kessel, and Dadanov. Nothing against any of those guys, Kessel especially, but Gallagher is a special type of player. He creates offense from nothing, he's likely had the least minutes of anyone in the top 10 and still produced 31 goals last year (and similiar pace is previous seasons) without the luxury of having linemates who can set him up. Better idea, I'll show you why Gallagher is underrated. See the screenshot below, see how Gallagher played with low quality teammates and still was impressive in nearly every way.
Recreate that chart for Gallagher vs Granlund in 2017-18 and then explain to me how Gallagher is supposedly better.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Recreate that chart for Gallagher vs Granlund in 2017-18 and then explain to me how Gallagher is supposedly better.

The chart shows that they are quite even. I'd take the 31g guy who played with Denault and Plekanec over a guy who produces at a nearly identical clip with Koivu. Granlund is a great player, top 15 RW but I would rather have Gallagher.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-11-07-15-03-44.png
    Screenshot_2018-11-07-15-03-44.png
    271.9 KB · Views: 6

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I don’t think you get it. Granlund wouldn’t be a downgrade. I’ll provide the simplest of statistics. Since 2016-17 to present:
Gallagher: 161GP 50g 45a 95pts
Granlund: 172GP 53g 96a 149pts

Pretty telling when one guy has more assists than the other guy has total points.

Even if you get rid of Gallagher’s awful 2016-17 year:
Gallagher: 97GP 40g 26a 66pts
Granlund: 91GP 27g 53a 80pts

If you look at TOI/game Granlund played about 1 minute more even strength, two minutes more short handed, and about the same as Gallagher on the power play. So the big difference in TOI is because Granlund can play short handed too. Why doesn’t Gallagher play short handed? He had a grand total of 20 minutes short handed, about 15 seconds per game if you averaged it out.

full

Gallagher doesn't play on the PK because he doesn't need to. And I am always going to take the player that creates more goals, especially with much less support.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
just fast-track Sklenicka, or Moravcik, and keep Drouin

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Any interest in Yegor Rykov+Buchnevich?
Rykov is looking like a potential top 4 PMD, doing good in the KHL right now
Buchnevich could use a change of scenery

this isn't terrible, but i expect if Habs deal Druin, they want a D to move into top 4/5 NOW
they've had a strong start and seems they want to exploit the Price 'opportunity window'

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Maybe they could work some value evening adds in there, but it seems like the teams would be good trade partners (no real rivalry and in separate conferences) and Vegas does definitely need scoring up front so I could see them taking a lot of interest if the Habs were shopping Drouin. These two teams feel like natural trade partners and I imagine there is a good "hockey deal" to be had somewhere in there, and I say this as a guy who is a fan of neither team.

Yea thus far a Drouin for Theodore base seems like the best hockey deal, definitely workable.

just fast-track Sklenicka, or Moravcik, and keep Drouin

Neither has shown any NHL potential thus far, they haven't looked bad but they don't look special either. Fleury on the other hand looks like a stud but hes a RHD.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
The chart shows that they are quite even. I'd take the 31g guy who played with Denault and Plekanec over a guy who produces at a nearly identical clip with Koivu. Granlund is a great player, top 15 RW but I would rather have Gallagher.
You act like Koivu is some great offensive player... that also, is misinformed. And if you look at real production Granlund blows Gallagher out of the water while also being a top PK guy.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
You act like Koivu is some great offensive player... that also, is misinformed. And if you look at real production Granlund blows Gallagher out of the water while also being a top PK guy.

87th percentile vs 86th percentile for point production is not "blowing out of the water". Saying Koivu is better at producing than Plek is quite an appropriate statement don't you think?

And yes, I'm looking at real production. I'm not seeing much difference.

Reactions: jfhabs

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Skjei fits like a glove, but you would have to best all offers, and I think a big deal for NYR Ds can be had including Brady.

I'd want Habs 2019 1st unprotected, 2020 EDIT ADD 2020 2nd END EDIT ADD + Drouin
for
Skjei and small add

Drouin could emerge, but he could also not be all that AND a bag o chips. You have to pay to leverage that risk or I keep Skjei or flip him elsewhere when NYR LDs are ready

Last edited:

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
87th percentile vs 86th percentile for point production is not "blowing out of the water". Saying Koivu is better at producing than Plek is quite an appropriate statement don't you think?

And yes, I'm looking at real production. I'm not seeing much difference.
80 is significantly higher than 66...

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Skjei fits like a glove, but you would have to best all offers, and I think a big deal for NYR Ds can be had including Brady.

I'd want Habs 2019 1st unprotected, 2020 + Drouin
for
Skjei and small add

Drouin could emerge, but he could also not be all that AND a bag o chips. You have to pay to leverage that risk or I keep Skjei or flip him elsewhere when NYR LDs are ready

hmmm.. gonna have to pass..

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Perron had a “nearly identical” p/60 to Crosby and Ovechkin last year too. The real production difference is what distinguishes who is/are the better players.

Who has had better quality of production? Okay, let's break it down.

Who's played tougher minutes? (Quality of competition/ quality of linemates differential)
Gallagher, -30 to -1

Who's better defensively?
Gallagher, better Corsi, rel Corsi, portion goals f/a, etc etc

Who's got a higher game score rating?
Gallagher, 98-77

Who's more likely to be on the ice when their team scores/ less likely to be on when scored on?
Gallagher

Who carries their team?
Gallagher (15% goals, 12% assists to 9% and 10)

I could go on and on but really, it's not hard to see why I prefer Gallagher.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
What's the point of this? Drouin is producing, and the Habs are winning.

Plus he's a Quebec born player, why the hell would they even trade him? I think he's going to be one of their best fowards down the road.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad