Young core's depth and players' roles

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
I was just looking over our prospects and young players and it occured to me that we have a ton of depth - probably one of the best depth in the league. Yeah sure we could use a Crosby-type prospect or something like that, but most teams would be jealous of the young players we have pencilled in for roles on the team for short term.

1st liners: Galchenyuk, Pacioretty
2nd liners: Gallagher, Eller, Sekac, Scherbak, Lehkonen
3rd liners: Hudon, Bournival, De La Rose, McCarron, Andrighetto, Audette
4th liners: Crisp, Grégoire, Dumont

1st pairing: Subban
2nd pairing: Emelin, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Nygren
3rd pairing: Pateryn, Dietz, Thrower, Bennett, Lernout

1st goalie: Price, Fucale
2nd goalie: Tokarski

I find the amount of quality young players we have right now in our depth is amazing and very encouraging and it has been quietly improving every since Timmins came on board.

Now I remember the times where Perezhogin, Chipchura and Hainsey were right there in Scherbak's and Beaulieu's spot but I can't help to think this current group is superior - mainly because some of these kids are already established on the main club (Subban, Eller, Pac, Price).

There is also two other differences from the mid-2000s prospect pool - the presence of Galchenyuk (3rd overall pick - big offensive player with world-class skills) and the two trips to the Eastern finals which has helped give experience to the team.

Now like I said we surely could use some Crosby or Weber-type prospects to enchance even more the top-end of that depth but not everyone can draft in the top-5 every year.

I am very excited by the youngsters on the squad right now and really trust Timmins and Bergevin to have a great team for years to come.

With the names I'm seeing on that board... No excuses. Especially since as many as 12 of them could be on the team already next season (that's half the team!)

Last edited:

PricePkPatch*

Scherbak and McCarron still have lots of development before getting intonthe NHL. So lets not pencil them in the short term.

Cakes still needs to prove himself..

Nygren and Dietz have not proven anything at the NHL level yet.

While i understand your enthusiasm, and agree we are young and full of promise, i don't think we should overestimate our situation.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Scherbak and McCarron still have lots of development before getting intonthe NHL. So lets not pencil them in the short term.

Cakes still needs to prove himself..

Nygren and Dietz have not proven anything at the NHL level yet.

While i understand your enthusiasm, and agree we are young and full of promise, i don't think we should overestimate our situation.

Please, I beg you, don't do this.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Please, I beg you, don't do this.

I second this. Please don't carry forward with the nickname cakes.

It reminds me of Bukkake. Which I've always jokingly called boo-cakes.

And I've got a buddy who play's on a hockey team called Book Hockey.. Get it... Bookhockey.. Say it fast.

I don't want this association with Sekac haha...

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

And I've got a buddy who play's on a hockey team called Book Hockey.. Get it... Bookhockey.. Say it fast.

Man, you must hate birthday cakes with white frosting... :laugh:

Also, I'd at least add Lernout to 3rd pairing, Lehkonen to 2nd line and Crisp to 3/4th line.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I was just looking over our prospects and young players and it occured to me that we have a ton of depth - probably one of the best depth in the league. Yeah sure we could use a Crosby-type prospect or something like that, but most teams would be jealous of the young players we have pencilled in for roles on the team for short term.

2nd liners: Gallagher, Eller, Sekac, Scherbak
3rd liners: Hudon, Bournival, De La Rose, McCarron, Andrighetto

3rd pairing: Pateryn, Dietz, Thrower, Bennett

I find the amount of quality young players we have right now in our depth is amazing and very encouraging and it has been quietly improving every since Timmins came on board.

Now I remember the times where Perezhogin, Chipchura and Hainsey were right there in Scherbak's and Beaulieu's spot but I can't help to think this current group is superior - mainly because some of these kids are already established on the main club (Subban, Eller, Pac, Price).

There is also two other differences from the mid-2000s prospect pool - the presence of Galchenyuk (3rd overall pick - big offensive player with world-class skills) and the two trips to the Eastern finals which has helped give experience to the team.

Now like I said we surely could use some Crosby or Weber-type prospects to enchance even more the top-end of that depth but not everyone can draft in the top-5 every year.

I am very excited by the youngsters on the squad right now and really trust Timmins and Bergevin to have a great team for years to come.

With the names I'm seeing on that board... No excuses. Especially since as many as 12 of them could be on the team already next season (that's half the team!)

I dig the optimism, but you're jumping way ahead of reality. Outside of Beaulieu and Tinordi, none of the prospects you listed are worth a dime as NHL players yet (okay, Tokarski showed great stuff, but goaltending is our least important need). And there's little chance we'll see more than two or three of them next season.

Chances of prospect making the Habs in 2014/15 (three game minimum):

Beaulieu: 10/10
Tinordi: 10/10
Sekac: 8/10
Pateryn: 7/10
Nygren: 7/10
de la Rose: 6/10
Hudon: 5/10
Andrighetto: 4/10
Scherbak: 1/10
Dietz: 1/10
McCarron: 0/10
Thrower: 0/10
Bennett: 0/10

Yes, our prospect pool is rated pretty high overall, but I'm not getting over-excited until I see them play in the NHL. This year will be an important developmental step for many of them -- it'll be much easier to tell what we actually have after this season.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

I dunno man... everytime Cakes is called for icing my mouth will start watering.

I'm looking forward to seeing him help the Habs rise in the Yeast Conference.

What?

PricePkPatch*

I dunno man... everytime Cakes is called for icing my mouth will start watering.

I'm looking forward to seeing him help the Habs rise in the Yeast Conference.

What?

And then you add Cherry on top of it

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
I dig the optimism, but you're jumping way ahead of reality. Outside of Beaulieu and Tinordi, none of the prospects you listed are worth a dime as NHL players yet (okay, Tokarski showed great stuff, but goaltending is our least important need). And there's little chance we'll see more than two or three of them next season.

Chances of prospect making the Habs in 2014/15 (three game minimum):

Beaulieu: 10/10
Tinordi: 10/10
Sekac: 8/10
Pateryn: 7/10
Nygren: 7/10
de la Rose: 6/10
Hudon: 5/10
Andrighetto: 4/10
Scherbak: 1/10
Dietz: 1/10
McCarron: 0/10
Thrower: 0/10
Bennett: 0/10

Yes, our prospect pool is rated pretty high overall, but I'm not getting over-excited until I see them play in the NHL. This year will be an important developmental step for many of them -- it'll be much easier to tell what we actually have after this season.

This post isn't about next year though... it's about organisation depth and the value of our players between the age of 18-26 and who will be on the team in 3-4 years.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Forgot about Lehkonen a prospect who I really like, so add him to our 2nd/3rd line depth... wow...

Crisp and Grégoire could be solid 4th liners.

Daniel Audette as a long shot 2nd liner.

I'm not sure about Lernout. We'll see after next year but yeah, pencil him for the 3rd pairing.

So much depth!

PricePkPatch*

This post isn't about next year though... it's about organisation depth and the value of our players between the age of 18-26 and who will be on the team in 3-4 years.

You are still making huge assumptions avout success of development

HabsFanJosh

Jun 28, 2014
Josiah Didier could definitely become a 2nd or 3rd pairing Dman.

I really like Timmins picks. Guys like Crisp, Gregoire and Audette are work horses. They are those players you love to have in your bottom-six, and I feel like Montreal has been notoriously bad at developing our own bottom-six players recently. Here's hoping that trend has stopped. Depending on injuries this year, I could see Crisp getting time in the NHL.

Pretty sure you're never going to see Bennett or Nygren playing for the Habs.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Did someone mention BigMac and Cakes?!

We have a delicious sounding group of prospects!

But seriously, we're ranked top 5 in the NHL for prospects and just made the ECF. Future looks bright for us. Let's keep it going and build a dynasty again!

PricePkPatch*

Did someone mention BigMac and Cakes?!

We have a delicious sounding group of prospects!

But seriously, we're ranked top 5 in the NHL for prospects and just made the ECF. Future looks bright for us. Let's keep it going and build a dynasty again!

BigMac, Cakes and Sherbet ;)

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

Well, you did say that 12 of them could be on the team next season.

If we're looking further down the road to 3/4 years from now, I'd guess our current prospects will produce a great 3rd and 4th line, but Habs will need to find top-six scoring elsewhere, through trade or UFA. I don't see anyone from within our org becoming a sniper/30-goal scorer. Biggest question will be our D, which could be great or meh, depending how current prospects develop.

xposbrad

Jul 11, 2009
Sorry I'm not nearly as excited as some of you. I see a lot of long shot 3rd liners with several having flaws. Even Eller has not shown he really belongs on the 2nd line. Anyways, I know we're all Habs fans but there are a lot of other teams with better and deeper talent. Along with high upside prospects. I don't think we're the worst, but we're probably slightly above average compared to the rest of the NHL.

Also, McCarron as a third liner could also be a stretch. We have a couple of guys who could surprise, but I don't see the blue chip talent other teams have.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Well, you did say that 12 of them could be on the team next season.

If we're looking further down the road to 3/4 years from now, I'd guess our current prospects will produce a great 3rd and 4th line, but Habs will need to find top-six scoring elsewhere, through trade or UFA. I don't see anyone from within our org becoming a sniper/30-goal scorer. Biggest question will be our D, which could be great or meh, depending how current prospects develop.

Well there are seven locks: Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Eller, Bournival, Subban, Price.

We'll almost certainly see one of Beaulieu, Tinordi full time, there's also a forward spot that looks like it's open as well so that's 9 possibly 10.

So if a guy like Tokarski steals a spot, and someone pulls a Bournival 12 isn't out of the question.

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
2nd liners: Gallagher, Eller, Sekac, Scherbak, Lehkonen
3rd liners: Hudon, Bournival, De La Rose, McCarron, Andrighetto, Audette
4th liners: Crisp, Grégoire, Dumont

3rd pairing: Pateryn, Dietz, Thrower, Bennett, Lernout

Eller 3e liners -Andrighetto and Audette 2e liners.

3e liners:Dumont out and Nevins in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad