Value of: Young Center Players/Prospects to the Rangers

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
I have begun to read some whispers online of a potential Eichel for Lafreniere trade. There would probably be more pieces involved in this type of trade. Eichel and Lafreniere are simply the primary parts.

That would unprecedented. A team trading a player they drafted #1 overall, not even a full season into the rookie year.

#1 overalls have been traded before, such as Lindros and Berard. But that was due to Lindros and Berard not wanting to play for the teams that drafted them.
Obviously there is no chance that happens, especially considering salary considerations, but oh man could you imagine the shockwave that would send!

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Rangers have to add if were considering trading Koko

Laf has struggled mightily and doesnt hold the value that he had before the season,, Koko is a top 6 centre
Professionals are probably not as knee jerk as fans. He was drafted first for a reason.

Covid season
No pre season
Short training camp
#1 C is struggling

Hmmm. Maybe you are hoping GM's don't know about these factors? Maybe you didn't consider them?

I'd say his value only went down to those expecting him to step in and dominate the league. Not all #1OA all are created equally. Not all progression is linear. 17 games is an awfully small sample.

Laf still projects as an Elite #1 LW. Your boy projects as a #2C.

No one makes that trade.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I have begun to read some whispers online of a potential Eichel for Lafreniere trade. There would probably be more pieces involved in this type of trade. Eichel and Lafreniere are simply the primary parts.

That would unprecedented. A team trading a player they drafted #1 overall, not even a full season into the rookie year.

#1 overalls have been traded before, such as Lindros and Berard. But that was due to Lindros and Berard not wanting to play for the teams that drafted them.

Eichel is not coming here, nor leaving BUF.
Sabes fans love it when I say that.

What they don't luv is when I say it is likely something dynamic has to give to bridge to when their next level of prospects emerge, and that means, in addition to draft/trade, Eich and Hall need immediate help.

The cost of that help rises with the quality of the return.
And to get a signif return like Zib ++, Dahlin is required.

I like Zib. But I am real that soon he is gonna be big term + $$ increase.
Idea on dahlin coming back is to repurpose Zib + value, get younger early 20s on elc for later 20s who will need to have contract extended to 8 x 7.25 min beforehand. [We are married to Panarin and to lesser extent Kreider and Trouba controls his NMC for next 3ish yrs, so Zib at 9ish min for lesser term will not be doable or require multiple hard choices = consequences.] Then can keep Dahlin thru next season w/Miller and whoever else of our prospect LDs emerges, and if nec flip him for a profit.

So we should have patience and go in another direction, unless unexpectedly someone should drop in our laps.

Agree w/OP, keep bluest blue chips and their.

deal vets for futures = let kids play, improve, reduce excess line shifts = max playing time = increased familiarity, comfort w/regular linemates = improved production

Kravtsov will emerge as C
Chytil is real deal
Barron missed this year, will emerge next yr

somethin like dat

cost of most quality Cs is understandably way too expensive

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Notwithstanding my prior post, if ya wanna go real ballsy in another direction, you gamble two of Reunanen/Jones/Hajek/Robertson/Rykov emerge as 2 and 3 LD behind KA Miller and trade Lindgren/+.

While that does address using an area of possible surplus, it does not address that before end of next season we have to figure out what to do w/Zib. We have to find out if he takes less to say w/us 3, max 4 years, which is a big IF, if he goes there, is that worth more long term than dealing him now-ish [once he is back in form from slow start due to covid]. Again, no win now excesses, build, build, build, build, build. Only after you are overflowing w/surplus riches and kicking on all cylinders do you indulge w/trade for potential dif maker. Other way is more of a gamble and as we saw in Ranger team prior to this rebuild, just not good enuf and every sickening desperation overreach to try and and just get over could not will us a Cup.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Trade proposals threads on HFB between NYR and MTL are currently my preferred comedy. :naughty:

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
The one thing we severely lack in our farm system and in the bigs is center depth. We really don't have that young stud at C, who we can pencil in on the top-2 lines. We have a badly struggling Zibanejad, wastes of time in Strome and Howden, and a bunch of unproven, ceiling-capped prospects like Karl Henriksson, Oliver Tarnstrom, etc.

I know the price will be steep, but any of you guys willing to include one of your promising young C in exchange for someone like Kreider, Buchnevich or Trouba? We're not trading our young guys like Laf, Kakko, Fox, K'Andre, Shesterkin, etc. and we're not trading Panarin.

Did it ever occur to you that Kakko for a center at his level would make sense? Seriously, if you were offered a Barzal type player you wouldn't pony up two of those young guys? Good thing you're not the GM of the team, you'll be looking forever.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
The one thing we severely lack in our farm system and in the bigs is center depth. We really don't have that young stud at C, who we can pencil in on the top-2 lines. We have a badly struggling Zibanejad, wastes of time in Strome and Howden, and a bunch of unproven, ceiling-capped prospects like Karl Henriksson, Oliver Tarnstrom, etc.

I know the price will be steep, but any of you guys willing to include one of your promising young C in exchange for someone like Kreider, Buchnevich or Trouba? We're not trading our young guys like Laf, Kakko, Fox, K'Andre, Shesterkin, etc. and we're not trading Panarin.
And you want to be my latex salesman.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
It would take a Hell of an offer but just to see what NYR would offer for Holloway . Not that I want to trade him as he is a perfect fit for the Oilers but as a GM they have to listen to all offers . Offer away

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
:hawks

Dylan Strome, he would be cheap cause he has lost his place to 2 rookies in 2 seasons(Dach & Suter).

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Suggestion... I am not even sure I do it but....
Kotkaniemi for Lafrenière?
Spare a young winger for a young center and get a natural center for Kakko moving forward.

Suzuki for Julien Gauthier?
Spare a young winger for a young center and get a natural center for Kakko moving forward.

Just so you know how stupid you sounded there with that proposal.

Reactions: Kupo

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Suzuki for Julien Gauthier?

Just so you know how stupid you sounded there with that proposal.
Ok, so you are trolling? Funny as f***. :sarcasm: never seen anybody around here make that kind of joke... congrats!

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
I am looking for a nhl ready player to be honest. Defense takes a while to develop. I would also like to say the kings are in a playoff hunt and if they do make it they will be drafting at least 16 th maybe even higher depending on how well we do. I don't see a top 2 sliding that far down however it is possible i guess.

You might want to look at Claque.
This guy looks insanely good on the ice and has the offense upside you are asking for.
He is also as NHL ready as he can be.

Right now, we need goal scoring winger more than anything else.
If the rangers are willing to part with one, i am willing to part with a center

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
You might want to look at Claque.
This guy looks insanely good on the ice and has the offense upside you are asking for.
He is also as NHL ready as he can be.

Right now, we need goal scoring winger more than anything else.
If the rangers are willing to part with one, i am willing to part with a center

With respect my friend I disagree . I think Clague has some offensive ability but i compare him to Martinez. He has some upside but isn't /wasn't used on the pp to take advantage of it. I am looking for a lefthanded Slava clone. Someone who can go end to end with a better first pass. Clague will be a elite 3 rd pairing with decent 2nd pairing ability.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
It would take a Hell of an offer but just to see what NYR would offer for Holloway . Not that I want to trade him as he is a perfect fit for the Oilers but as a GM they have to listen to all offers . Offer away

Holl would be scary good w/Kreider.
But I am not sure he = pivot

not sure we match

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Did it ever occur to you that Kakko for a center at his level would make sense? Seriously, if you were offered a Barzal type player you wouldn't pony up two of those young guys? Good thing you're not the GM of the team, you'll be looking forever.

we need to avoid dealing Kakko if we build going forward and entice guys like Barkov to come as ufa IF they elect to leave.

we need to deal Zib for top futures once he is fully back from covid in top form IF enuf is on the table, and keep Kakko to build

Reactions: slg1963

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
You could probably get Logan Brown from the sens for relatively cheap. He's likely a middle 6 centre with first line (although very very unlikely) upside that the organization has soured on. My wildest dreams would be something like a top 15 protected 2022 first. But likely a 2nd and some other small piece gets it done or a prospect in the 5-12 range (not to sure on rangers prospect depth).

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
LaF for KK..... is a troll
:huh:
A 20 years old center vs a 19 years old winger (both drafted top 3) is trolling?

It's a f***ing hockey board and as far as I am concerned there are not an over abundance of top center under 23 years old available.
Laf the quebec player playing home and KK back with his countrymen. That was the reasoning and obviously will never happen.
Don't like it, just say no and move on, stop the melodramatic about it.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Outside of magic beans trade where you acquire another teams recently drsfted center (18-35 drsft range) for neon your prospects might be your only hope outside of winning a top 3 pick.

the only other chance is a team that is set a center like say NJ with Hirscher and Hughes in a coup,e seasons Thry show as being locked in top 2 centers. Thrn they drafted smother center thst has an upside potential but isn’t that defensive mode type Zacha is so you might be able to trade for him. He might be in that high 2C/low 1C group

you have to wait till 24 summer iirc when matthews and Aho hit UFA

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
We’ll have to develop our own or get lucky on a reclamation (fugazi!) project like Bennett as an example or else it will hurt bad. Depth isn’t really there but it’s not as bad as thought, Ziba will get going and Chytil I believe will trend to a 2C. We should be able to get a decent 3C on the market and see what becomes of Howden, Barron (I know he’s a W with HFD), and picks. Buchnevich won’t be a hockey trade but a deadline one. We’ll get another 1st out of him or a Studnicka type.

Reactions: bernmeister

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->