Value of: You Teams Cap Dump to NYR

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
With the Rangers rebuilding they have extra cap space to take on a cap dump or 2. They would likely look to take on players with 1 or 2 years left on their deals. Possibly 3 depending on the cap hit.

They would be looking for picks and/or prospects for taking the contract on.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
With the Rangers rebuilding they have extra cap space to take on a cap dump or 2. They would likely look to take on players with 1 or 2 years left on their deals. Possibly 3 depending on the cap hit.

Nobody is going to give an asset with a guy with 1 year left.

Also, the cap going up means there will be few dumps at all.

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
No one is going to gift the rangers free assets, unless they are taking on an actually bad contract.

Like one that doesn't end in a year or 2.

BringBackLibertys

Oct 10, 2007
Middlesex, NC
I could see something like Orpik +3rd for a 7th or something, but that is about it. We could actually make some use of Orpik this year to show the kids how to act in the locker room.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Nobody is going to give an asset with a guy with 1 year left.

Also, the cap going up means there will be few dumps at all.

Couple of things. I didn't just say 1 year, I said 1-3 years.

Also when the cap goes up, players contracts go up. The price it took to sign X type player 2 or 3 years ago is going to be more costly this summer. Contract values do not stay stagnant.

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017

Considering there will be a lockout next year the rangers would be wise to take bad contract or two just to use the buyouts...

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I've got an idea. I mean it's crazy. No it's more than crazy. You guys are probably going to think less of me for even suggesting it. I might not even be welcome on this board, maybe banned for mentioning this kind of thing even. Oh well...

HOW ABOUT WE JUST DON'T SPEND TO THE FREAKING CAP FOR THE SAKE OF SPENDING TO THE FREAKING CAP?

There is going to be time. Teams will need space. So if we don't burn a hole through our check book looking to take on whatever nitwits can't make rosters in October, here's what's going to happen. We keep our open cap space. We leave it open. All year. Dead serious. Then here's the move. At the deadline when the pretenders have all sunk to the bottom and the contenders all want to make moves that they can't fit, whoever will they call? Why, I have no idea! Who would be so foolish to have cap space at this time of year? Exactly. Because the sugar you put on top of your pretty please is going to be a whole lot sweeter when you think you're a player or two away from getting your name on the cup than it is in October when the whole season still has to play out.

Deposit: two cents.

SML, out.

Reactions: bernmeister

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Couple of things. I didn't just say 1 year, I said 1-3 years.

Also when the cap goes up, players contracts go up. The price it took to sign X type player 2 or 3 years ago is going to be more costly this summer. Contract values do not stay stagnant.

Actually, the value of a contract that is signed does stay the same, and relative to the cap, it goes down. A team doesn't have 23 UFAs in a single season. They may have 2. If 9% of the contracts go up, that means 92% of the contracts stay the same with the cap going up.

And you said 1 or 2 years. Then you made a separate sentence about possibly a 3rd. So cool. I agree, if you take a bad contract for 3 years you may get an asset. But there are other teams that will have space too (COL for instance) and there are teams that have contracts with higher hits than salaries, so those will be more attractive to the teams with cap space.

Every year some fans here think there team is going to own the offseason by getting multiple assets for taking on bad contracts. It may happen for 1 team this year, but again, it won't be for a 1 year contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad