Value of: You need a goalie?

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Just curious if some want to take a stab at where you think some of the 2019-2020 UFA/RFA goalies land/best fit and the possible trades for guys that are 2021 UFA's, along with maybe some RFA's who may get offer sheets, as rare as it may be?

I'm sure some of these guys may retire, Smith this year and Hank/Rinne next. (not listed in 2nd list for that reason)
Will Rask actually retire or he bargaining for a decent retirement deal?
Andersen in a new jersey/lid come 2020-21?

The top 20 2020 UFA/RFA list:

Goalies.PNG

The top 21 2021 UFA/RFA list:

goalies-2.PNG

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I don't know where everyone is going, but I could see Talbot or Greiss in Minnesota on a 1-2 year deal. I think Lehner stays in Vegas. Mike Smith should retire.

Reactions: HotDish and qqaz

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I don't know where everyone is going, but I could see Talbot or Greiss in Minnesota on a 1-2 year deal. I think Lehner stays in Vegas. Mike Smith should retire.

VGK gonna have to move some cap out *cough* MAF *?
What's Lehner's deal look like?
Holtby may have to settle for $4-5 million, his last 3 years have been iffy.

I think VAN and PHI could also chase Greiss as well to insulate their young goalies.
Don't see how Markstrom can fit if they don't move out cap. (Sutter/Loui)

Chicago tries to sign Crawford.

Interesting, figured they want a longer term solution, Markstrom could have been a good fit if they had cap or some crazy CHI fan runs over Seabrook's foot.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
VGK gonna have to move some cap out *cough* MAF *?
What's Lehner's deal look like?
Holtby may have to settle for $4-5 million, his last 3 years have been iffy.

I think VAN and PHI could also chase Greiss as well to insulate their young goalies.
Don't see how Markstrom can fit if they don't move out cap. (Sutter/Loui)

Interesting, figured they want a longer term solution, Markstrom could have been a good fit if they had cap or some crazy CHI fan runs over Seabrook's foot.

I think Lehner gets 5-6 years and 30M, and MAF is gone.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
I could see Toronto offering Lehner 5x5 if Vegas can't work out a MAF deal.

If not I'm still pretty keen on Georgiev who seems to have realistic value now with all the available goalies. Would trade Andersen for a 2nd and trade for Georgiev and use the difference in salary between Georgiev/Andersen to sign DeMelo /Tanev etc.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
My guesses:

-Lehner re-signs in Vegas for 5 years at $5 million AAV
-Crawford re-signs in Chicago for 1 year at $3.5 million AAV
-Khudobin re-signs in Dalas for 3 years at $3.5 million
-Markstrom signs in Toronto for 6 years at $6 million AAV
-Holtby signs in Calgary for 5 years at $6.5 million AAV
-Murray is traded to Colorado for Colorado's 1st
-Andersen is traded to Carolina for a 2nd and 3rd (probably Carolina's 2nd and Buffalo's 3rd)
-Fleury gets bought out by Vegas (or Vegas pays someone to buy him out) and signs back in Pittsburgh on an underpriced contract to be the 1B
-Greiss signs in Edmonton for 3 years at $3.5 million

I think this will be the most active goalie market in recent history this off-season. I didn't even touch on guys like Francouz/Grubauer and Reimer/Mrazek, who have to be moved if their teams acquire another goalie. Free agents like Talbot, Elliott and Dell also weren't addressed.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
-Fleury gets bought out by Vegas (or Vegas pays someone to buy him out) and signs back in Pittsburgh on an underpriced contract to be the 1B
Fleury would leave a cap hit of 2m to 3m for four years while costing the team 8m to pay Fleury to play elsewhere.
I can't imagine any team is gonna be willing to do Vegas that favor with the current state of the league. The Knights do have the cap space to reasonably do it if Lehner is willing to sign a reasonable contract.
With Fleury being paid 2.1m x 4y from Vegas, what could he come to terms with PIT on? 2.5m x 3y? Jarry's gonna get a 1 year bridge I'd assume.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Fleury would leave a cap hit of 2m to 3m for four years while costing the team 8m to pay Fleury to play elsewhere.
I can't imagine any team is gonna be willing to do Vegas that favor with the current state of the league. The Knights do have the cap space to reasonably do it if Lehner is willing to sign a reasonable contract.
With Fleury being paid 2.1m x 4y from Vegas, what could he come to terms with PIT on? 2.5m x 3y? Jarry's gonna get a 1 year bridge I'd assume.

Yeah, something like that is about my guess. I think they'd be paying both Fleury and Jarry about $6 million in total on roughly a 3 year deal, with Jarry falling at about $3.5-$4 million on a 3 year deal and Fleury falling between $2-$2.5 million on a 3 year deal.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
My guesses:

-Andersen is traded to Carolina for a 2nd and 3rd (probably Carolina's 2nd and Buffalo's 3rd)

I think this will be the most active goalie market in recent history this off-season. I didn't even touch on guys like Francouz/Grubauer and Reimer/Mrazek, who have to be moved if their teams acquire another goalie. Free agents like Talbot, Elliott and Dell also weren't addressed.
Both Sakic and Bednar said in interviews yesterday thta that they are happy with our goalies. Apparently Francouz was playing hurt as well. It doesn't sound like they're looking to make changes in net, but I guess you never know.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
I would love to get 1-2 years of Talbot in Minnesota. Also if Arizona wants to drop cap I would explore Raanta to Minnesota. No willing to pay much since we would be doing them a favor.

Just gotta find some help to split the workload for Kahk if the Wild want to explore his ability to be an NHL starter.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
My guesses:

I think those vets are in for a surprise. The goalie market is flooded with no clear standout as best available. Because of that, cheaper is better. Call me crazy but I think Holtby and Markstrom get significantly less than you are suggesting.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
between this summer and next summer you have quite a few goalies hitting UFA market. A few others if not signed like Murray and Ullmakr could also be UFAs next summer.

On top of that you have an ED where Seattle could draft teams goalies who are under 25 and exposed. Seattle could pick them and flip them.

the trade market is going to be very limited this season because of so many UFAs you can sign or younger exposed goalies who are better and younger than the UFAs.

A goalie like Demko could have some real trade value or another goalie in a teams sysem who is 23 or so and would be exposed.

Teams who might be looking for goalies are not necessarily in a the long term market for goalies because they might feel they have a young goalie in the future in a few years so they might be only interested in 1-3 yr contracts on a vet

Last edited:

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
between this summer and next summer you have quite a few goalies hitting UFA market. A few others if not signed like Murray and Ullmakr could also be UFAs next summer.

On top of that you have an ED where Seattle could draft teams goalies who are under 25 and exposed. Seattle could pick them and flip them.

the trade market is going to be very limited this season because of so many UFAs you can sign or younger exposed goalies who are better and younger than the UFAs.

A goalie like Demko could have some real trade value or another goalie in a teams sysem who is 23 or so and would be exposed.

Teams who might be looking for goalies are not necessarily in a the long term market for goalies because they might feel they have a young goalie in the future in a few years so they might be only interested in 103 yr contracts on a vet
I feel like Marc Staal has been on a 103 yr contract.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
2020:

Holtby - CGY (5yr x $5.5 million)

Makrstrom - CHI or BUF (5yr x $6 mil) they move out one of their older D (CDH, Maata, Murphy and maybe Saad as well to sign Alien and Kubalik)

BUF needs to lock down a legit #1, they move Ullmark in a trade.

Murray - to COL or CAR for picks and prospects (4-5 years x $5.5 million)

Lehner - VGK (5yrs x $6 mil)

Ullmark - traded to DET for a prospect.
Decent stopgap for a couple years.

Georgey - traded to WSH, dont think WSH has to protect Samsonov right? They rock the two young Russians who should be cheap for next 2 years.
Both can be 2a options until Samsonov fully takes off.

Greiss - VAN, PHI or MIN to be 2a or backup their young star goalies in the making.

Crawford - cheap deal to come back to CHI behind Markstrom. 1 yr deals fr here on out

2021:

Rask - closes out a solid career in BOS, if he comes back, BOS gives him a decent 2yr deal to close out their contending window.

Andersen - traded to CAR, COL or BUF?
Mrazek or Ullmark to TOR with a good prospect/pick attached

Binner - stays in STL

Allen - flipped/retained at deadline to EDM if MON is out of playoff race.

Raanta - moved to OTT along with a prospect + short term cap dump who OTT can flip for assets
ARI will want to chop big salary

Gru - stays with COL to chase a Cup, 1b option if they trade for Andersen type.
Francouz is 30 and only playd 36 games so far. Or they do trade Gru and go with Andersen/Francouz.

Mrazek - some team should pay him decently to be a stopgap or stays in CAR as similar 1b option if CAR makes trade for Andersen

Last edited:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
2020:

Makrstrom - CHI or BUF (5yr x $6 mil)

2021:

Buffalo will not sign a goalie for 5 yrs..

Buffalo isnt gift wrapping one with something extra to Toronto.

Ullnark is a good goalie, They have a strong ED exempt goalie in UPL who played for finland in the WJC a couple years ago when they medal.

He is on an ELC for 2 yrs . I see him on Buffalo in 2022-2023 being at least a back up then being a starter.

Buffalo would not want to committ more than 4 yrs to only goalie.

More likely scenario is they resign Ullmark for something like 4/$14M and then sign one of these goalies looking for work on a 3 yr low contract of around $1M.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Buffalo will not sign a goalie for 5 yrs..

Buffalo isnt gift wrapping one with something extra to Toronto.

Ullnark is a good goalie, They have a strong ED exempt goalie in UPL who played for finland in the WJC a couple years ago when they medal.

He is on an ELC for 2 yrs . I see him on Buffalo in 2022-2023 being at least a back up then being a starter.

Buffalo would not want to committ more than 4 yrs to only goalie.

More likely scenario is they resign Ullmark for something like 4/$14M and then sign one of these goalies looking for work on a 3 yr low contract of around $1M.

That's fair, I don't pretend to know every teams goalie situation.
I know Ullmark is a decent option but he's never played more than 40 games so far. Still a good 2a option, just assumed Markstrom has had two years of 60 games and would be a good mentor/stopgap to UPL.
Eichel wants to compete now, not another 2-3 years down the road no?
Make your C happy and get a #1 to chase playoffs.

Reactions: Team Cozens

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Unless MAF is boughtout, How many teams that need a Goalie can honestly afford his 2 years $14 million i can name 2 teams that can afford to take on his cap hit and that's Detroit and Ottawa especially knowing that 17 teams are facing internal cap budgets this coming season.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
2020:

Holtby - CGY (5yr x $5.5 million)

Makrstrom - CHI or BUF (5yr x $6 mil) they move out one of their older D (CDH, Maata, Murphy and maybe Saad as well to sign Alien and Kubalik)

Murray - to COL or CAR for picks and prospects (4-5 years x $5.5 million)

Lehner - VGK (5yrs x $6 mil)

Ullmark - traded to DET for a prospect.
Decent stopgap for a couple years.

Georgey - traded to WSH, dont think WSH has to protect Samsonov right? They rock the two young Russians who should be cheap for next 2 years.
Both can be 2a options until Samsonov fully takes off.

Greiss - VAN, PHI or MIN to be 2a or backup their young star goalies in the making.

Crawford - cheap deal to come back to CHI behind Markstrom. 1 yr deals fr here on out

2021:

Rask - closes out a solid career in BOS, if he comes back, BOS gives him a decent 2yr deal to close out their contending window.

Binner - stays in STL

Allen - flipped/retained at deadline to EDM if MON is out of playoff race.

Raanta - moved to OTT along with a prospect + short term cap dump who OTT can flip for assets
ARI will want to chop big salary

Gru - stays with COL to chase a Cup, 1b option if they trade for Andersen type.
Francouz is 30 and only playd 36 games so far. Or they do trade Gru and go with Andersen/Francouz.

Mrazek - some team should pay him decently to be a stopgap or stays in CAR as similar 1b option if CAR makes trade for Andersen

Carolina would buyout Mrazek before paying a good prospect or pick for some team to take him. His buyout would cost $950k next year and $1 million the year after.

More likely the Canes keep Mrazek for a year and trade Reimer who only makes $1 million real salary and is a very good backup. 14-6-2 record last year with a 0.914 SV%. Would be perfect behind a Hart or Demko if Markstrom walks.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
That's fair, I don't pretend to know every teams goalie situation.
I know Ullmark is a decent option but he's never played more than 40 games so far. Still a good 2a option, just assumed Markstrom has had two years of 60 games and would be a good mentor/stopgap to UPL.
Eichel wants to compete now, not another 2-3 years down the road no?
Make your C happy and get a #1 to chase playoffs.

Buffalo's problem was not the goalie..it was offense.

The never won low scoring games like 1-0 or2-1. They had a decent record when scoring 3 and very very good when scoring 4+ like a 9-1 pace.

also last year when Hutton was in net --I think he had the lowest goal support in the league. He was on a winless.

I dont have a problem if They wanted to change from Hutton to someone else on a short contract o say 2 year or like acquire Raanta or a few other goalies who have 1-2 yrs under contract left.streak but the goale support was something like low 1s.

Ullmark is an RFA so if he signs any multi year deal his salry is likely in the mid 3s or higher.

In a full season Ullmark probably would have played in around 42 games.

Im confident he can play 50s necxt year. back up is playing low 30s.

Sabres priority is picking up a top 6 player who plays C or RW. and have Cozens picking up the other one that the new player doesnt fill.

the Chad Kilger

Apr 30, 2020
I could see Toronto offering Lehner 5x5 if Vegas can't work out a MAF deal.

If not I'm still pretty keen on Georgiev who seems to have realistic value now with all the available goalies. Would trade Andersen for a 2nd and trade for Georgiev and use the difference in salary between Georgiev/Andersen to sign DeMelo /Tanev etc.

Georgiev/Campbell would have to be among the worse tandems in the league. would be brutal for a defensively suspect Leafs team. I get that ppl are ready to move on from Andersen but there were many games where he was our best player

Reactions: Hitemwith4

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Carolina would buyout Mrazek before paying a good prospect or pick for some team to take him. His buyout would cost $950k next year and $1 million the year after.

More likely the Canes keep Mrazek for a year and trade Reimer who only makes $1 million real salary and is a very good backup. 14-6-2 record last year with a 0.914 SV%. Would be perfect behind a Hart or Demko if Markstrom walks.

If they did buyout Reimer or retain him to OTT/DET, would they not offer up a deal like Bean for Murray as a base?
Murray and Mrazek would be a good duo for next year.

Buffalo's problem was not the goalie..it was offense.

The never won low scoring games like 1-0 or2-1. They had a decent record when scoring 3 and very very good when scoring 4+ like a 9-1 pace.

also last year when Hutton was in net --I think he had the lowest goal support in the league. He was on a winless.

I dont have a problem if They wanted to change from Hutton to someone else on a short contract o say 2 year or like acquire Raanta or a few other goalies who have 1-2 yrs under contract left.streak but the goale support was something like low 1s.

Ullmark is an RFA so if he signs any multi year deal his salry is likely in the mid 3s or higher.

In a full season Ullmark probably would have played in around 42 games.

Im confident he can play 50s necxt year. back up is playing low 30s.

Sabres priority is picking up a top 6 player who plays C or RW. and have Cozens picking up the other one that the new player doesnt fill.

Thaanks for the feedback.
UPL could be brought up next year if Hutton needs maintenance days no?
If you're happy with Ullmark then that's good as well.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If they did buyout Reimer or retain him to OTT/DET, would they not offer up a deal like Bean for Murray as a base?
Murray and Mrazek would be a good duo for next year.

Thaanks for the feedback.
UPL could be brought up next year if Hutton needs maintenance days no?
If you're happy with Ullmark then that's good as well.

I don't think the Penguins will trade Murray in the division. If Murray returns to form, JR is going to look like a dunce for gifting a team in the division that good of a goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad