You know the team isn't going to sell guys

Giroux tha Damaja

Apr 17, 2009
Mount Holly, NJ
What's all the talbot hate? He's not a goal scorer and his defense has been solid. We can't expect him to score 19 goals a season. That was an anomaly. And his line mates on most nights aren't very good players. He's had Knuble, Fedotenko, and Rinaldo all on different occasions. He is an important piece on this team.

I'm Giroux tha Damaja, and I approve this message.

Seriously though, since when did we all start carrying on like a bunch of sissies? The team is around .500 after 20 something games and all of a sudden major changes need to be made. And then we ***** when the organization shows no patience in certain situations. Laviolette isn't the problem. Firing him doesn't address the problem.

Let's see what team's winning percentages are like in March and April when they're playing all the games in hand that they have over the Flyers and they're dog ass tired, because the stretch of non-stop games the Flyers have had to struggle through at the start of the season are coming at the end of theirs. Let's see if they manage to maintain their win percentage. The schedule is part of the problem.

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
2 steps forward one step back. one step forward, one step back.

Yeah, that's basically the whole season.

What annoys me is that if this team does get on a really hot run they certainly have the talent to make a good playoff push. The question is, will they dig themselves into too deep a hole first?

dookie88

Aug 18, 2008
Germany
Speaking of Timonen, I'm not sure there are that many teams out there that would take him at his current and next season's cap hit.
He's not been good, period.

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
Let's see what team's winning percentages are like in March and April when they're playing all the games in hand that they have over the Flyers and they're dog ass tired, because the stretch of non-stop games the Flyers have had to struggle through at the start of the season are coming at the end of theirs. Let's see if they manage to maintain their win percentage.
Uh oh, you better not say that. Someone's taken advanced statistics and knows better than you. Look out. Here it comes.

Here comes the rationale that somehow fewer games = "brutal schedule". Right. Like these sillies know what it means to get Up for games.

Giroux tha Damaja

Apr 17, 2009
Mount Holly, NJ
Speaking of Timonen, I'm not sure there are that many teams out there that would take him at his current and next season's cap hit.
He's not been good, period.

I disagree on the basis of the eyeball test and his numbers support me.

He has 13 points, which isn't too shabby to begin with, but 9 of them are on the power play. So he's only got 4 even strength points, but he's still a +1, so he's probably been playing some defense somewhere in there too. I didn't look up his qualcomp, but I'd bet it's as high as any other d-man's on our team.

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
I disagree on the basis of the eyeball test and his numbers support me.

He has 13 points, which isn't too shabby to begin with, but 9 of them are on the power play. So he's only got 4 even strength points, but he's still a +1, so he's probably been playing some defense somewhere in there too. I didn't look up his qualcomp, but I'd bet it's as high as any other d-man's on our team.

5th in points for defencemen and a +1. Not as shabby as some say!

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
It's actually time for some consistency on the roster. Besides the Knubles / Feds of the world, the rest of the roster should be allowed to grow together. Don't blow up the team, draft well, and continue to build internally. Take a look at FA. Maybe make a smart trade in the offseason. Maybe see if Briere would be willing to accept a trade at the deadline to a legit contender and get another pick. That's not a blow up move, that's a smart cap move.

Don't throw in the towel on this season, but quit moving a lot of pieces. Besides a stud #1 D-- this team has all the pieces. Consistency.

Snotbubbles

Oct 25, 2007
It's actually time for some consistency on the roster. Besides the Knubles / Feds of the world, the rest of the roster should be allowed to grow together. Don't blow up the team, draft well, and continue to build internally. Take a look at FA. Maybe make a smart trade in the offseason. Maybe see if Briere would be willing to accept a trade at the deadline to a legit contender and get another pick. That's not a blow up move, that's a smart cap move.

Don't throw in the towel on this season, but quit moving a lot of pieces. Besides a stud #1 D-- this team has all the pieces. Consistency.

I don't think anyone is advocating trading a core piece. If they are, well, that would be bad unless you are getting a core piece back.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT

Meh. Wishfull thinking.
They don't have a 3rd and /or 4th line center who can win a defensive zone draw if his life was depending on it and right now it doesn't look like Couts is making any progress in this department.
They are also lacking a scoring winger with a shoot first approach and a solid backup goalie.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I expect a panic move. I don't know who it will be but that's the pattern in recent years, panic, make a big splashy trade or 3, and panic again.

nuclear reactor

Apr 5, 2010
I expect a panic move. I don't know who it will be but that's the pattern in recent years, panic, make a big splashy trade or 3, and panic again.

Trading the hunks that adorn the posters on your bedroom wall were not panic moves.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I've said this many times but the teams poorly constructed. As a result were middle of the pack yet probably not going to make the playoffs and we don't have anyone we can really sell or even buy with. Briere is the only viable one and he has an NMC.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009

No, we don't. If we did we would look like a playoff team.

No true first d pairing anchor, all of our mainstay d aside from Timonen play similar games and are even similar builds, we lack an elite winger (yes I'm aware of Voraceks hot streak), our face off ability beyond Giroux is horrible, we have a couple old over the hill guys in Fedotenko and Knuble that need to go, and we have literally zero goalie depth and its not like we have an elite starter to play almost all the games. Also our farm system is barren aside from Laughton.

That's a lot of problems.

ilovetheflyers8

Jan 26, 2009
D.C.
Kimmo could be shopped his ext that has a NMC or NTC doesn't kick in till next year.

He has an NMC right now too http://capgeek.com/player/746 . I didn't realize that till recently. If the team traded Timonen, even though he isn't as good as he used to be the team's defense would be in a worse position than it is now unless we are trading someone like Schenn, Couturier, or maybe Voracek for a pretty good defenseman.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
He has an NMC right now too http://capgeek.com/player/746 . I didn't realize that till recently. If the team traded Timonen, even though he isn't as good as he used to be the team's defense would be in a worse position than it is now unless we are trading someone like Schenn, Couturier, or maybe Voracek for a pretty good defenseman.

Well, if you could trade both Timonen and Briere for 1sts at the deadline, do you do it?

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
I dont want to trade a core piece, just want Knuble , Feds and Danny gone. And that NMC can be worked around, bench him till the offseason if he does not give you 5 teams to trade too.

ilovetheflyers8

Jan 26, 2009
D.C.
Well, if you could trade both Timonen and Briere for 1sts at the deadline, do you do it?

My answer is pretty much the same as Garbage Goal's though I'm more inclined towards no for Timonen. If Holmgren was going to flip that first or the team's own first in a package for a defenseman who is good defensively and can pass then I would probably do it albeit reluctantly as whoever was traded with the first would not be a slouch.

Haute Couturier

Feb 28, 2007
Philadelphia

I would. It's a huge gamble to rely on a 38 year old Timonen to be our #1 defender next season. Until they get a real top pairing defender they aren't going to challenge for the Cup so what is the use in hanging onto him?

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Well, let's say you push Briere out with threatened amnesty. You get a deadline first for him. Then you trade Timonen for a 1st.

Your team at the start of the offseason:

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Simmonds - Schennn - Read
Laughton - Couturier - McGinn
Rinaldo - Talbot - xxxxxxxx

Coburn - Grossmann
Schenn - Gustafsson
xxxxxxx - xxxxxxxx

Bryzgalov
xxxxxxxx

You have three first rounders, one potentially fairly high. You could either use all three in this deep draft. Or you can package them for a top end defenseman.

Will three 1st rounders get us an RFA OEL, Pietrangelo, or Bogosian?

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I would keep Timonen. Another year partnered with Schenn will help his development. Briere is a must go IMO. High cap hit, doesn't produce on the wing, doesn't backcheck. Flyers need veterans who come to play every night at both ends of the rink.

The Flyers better win the next two games because the next 11 are brutal : penguins, rangers, devils, and bruins each twice, with the lightening once (sabres and islanders other two). The Flyers will probably be out of the playoffs after that stretch which ends nicely a few days before the deadline.

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania

I would do it without hesitation. Having three first round picks in what is supposed to be the deepest draft since '03 would be huge. We still have a very young team and Timonen and Briere will be completely useless by the time our core players are in their primes. Those picks could be used to solidify our system or to go after one of those d-men we are always talking about.

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
Well, let's say you push Briere out with threatened amnesty. You get a deadline first for him. Then you trade Timonen for a 1st.

Your team at the start of the offseason:

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Simmonds - Schennn - Read
Laughton - Couturier - McGinn
Rinaldo - Talbot - xxxxxxxx

Coburn - Grossmann
Schenn - Gustafsson
xxxxxxx - xxxxxxxx

Bryzgalov
xxxxxxxx

You have three first rounders, one potentially fairly high. You could either use all three in this deep draft. Or you can package them for a top end defenseman.

Will three 1st rounders get us an RFA OEL, Pietrangelo, or Bogosian?

To be able to get one of those guys and still have cap space to resign our guys and maybe even a winger to play with Giroux would be huge

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
You aint moving Kimmo at this deadline with a 6 mill cap hit next year ! No way.

Briere is doable as whatever team trades for him uses him for this run and amnesties this summer as very little money owed to him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad