You have been given full control of the Winnipeg Jets: GO!

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Instead of saying what I would do I'll do what I would have done... and you all know this isn't "Captain Hindsight" as you all know I've been harping these things for a while.

1) Find a more "flexible" style coach (similar to Yeo) who molds his systems a little more towards the type of roster he has, rather than the optimal roster he dreams of.

2) Change a few positions in the organization. I know the team tracks scoring chances, but certain facts points out that the analytical usage in the game is either absent or inefficient. Hire a new analytical team (Gabe Desjardins would probably be one of the head ones). Also, new goaltending coach. I don't know Wade Flaherty, but I haven't really seen anything that gives me confidence in him.

3) Instead of losing assets for a very meh $3 mil player, I would have taken the much better J. Jokinen on waivers for the same price. He was passed by 30 GMs because of fear instilled by lack of scoring, but had really strong underlying numbers and on-ice percentages indicated it was predominately a mix of luck and gripping the stick.
PS: J.Jokinen with the poor percentages still paced similar to Setoguchi anyways.

4) Montoya, Stuart, Thorburn, and Jokinen (may have to retain ~1mil sal) all gone. All traded for picks and/or prospects, except Montoya is just not signed.

5) I thought Chevy slightly over paid for most of his re-signings compared to what they have proven, mostly on Clitsome and Bogosian, but they were so very, very slightly that I'll take it as a no choice thing. I also am fine with the depth signings of Halischuk, Samson, Gordon and Pardy, and loved the trade for Frolik.

6) With a different coach and a system created more for the players at hand, I'm thinking Burmistrov would have stayed. I'm not absolving Burmistrov's portion of the blame; I just think that sometimes things don't work out between two people in this situation.

7) Three UFA signings: Keith Ballard was signed for 1.5; I think we could have gotten him for slightly more with a spot in the top 4. Anton Khudobin was signed for 800; I would promise him a 1B role with the 1A role within reach of obtaining. One more top 9 piece: (I'll get bit for this one) Kyle Wellwood for 1.5, but other options were Raymond or Boyes.

8) We'd then end up a game day forward roster of:
FORWARDS
Andrew Ladd ($4.400m) / Bryan Little ($4.700m) / Blake Wheeler ($5.600m)
Evander Kane ($5.250m) / Alexander Burmistrov ($2.000m) / Jussi Jokinen ($3.000m)
Michael Frolik ($2.333m) / Mark Scheifele ($1.563m) / Kyle Wellwood* ($1.500m)
Eric Tangradi ($0.675m) / Jim Slater ($1.600m) / Anthony Peluso ($0.563m)
Matt Halischuk ($0.650m) / James Wright ($0.650m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Tobias Enstrom ($5.750m) / Dustin Byfuglien ($5.200m)
Keith Ballard ($2.000m) / Zach Bogosian ($5.143m)
Grant Clitsome ($2.067m) / Jacob Trouba ($1.828m)
Paul Postma ($0.713m) /
GOALTENDERS
Ondrej Pavelec ($3.900m)
Anton Khudobin ($0.800m)

*Wellwood could be Raymond or Boyes
------
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,383,690; BONUSES: $1,633,333; RETAINED SALARY: $1,000,000 (O. Jokinen)
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $3,049,643

9) I'd advise my coach that he is ultimately in charge of the roster but would stress a few things:
a) have a goalie schedule considering rests ahead of time with somewhat even splits, minor adjustments can be made with how things are going but the schedule for the most should be adhered too
b) give the middle 6 lines similar TOI but double shift Kane onto the 3rd line often, resting one of Wellwood or Frolik
c) Scheifele and Burmistrov can switch around depending on who is playing well, creating small but friendly competition

Last edited:

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
If Kyle's hearts not in it...his hearts not in it though? I think I'd rather have Stapleton than Wellwood.

Heck, grab Winnipeg boy Shaun Heshka from AK Bars too. The Winnipeg connection seems to be having fun over there.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
If Kyle's hearts not in it...his hearts not in it though? I think I'd rather have Stapleton than Wellwood.

Heck, grab Winnipeg boy Shaun Heshka from AK Bars too. The Winnipeg connection seems to be having fun over there.

Heshka isn't from Winnipeg. He played for the Moose though.

Keith Ballard took a hometown discount off a buyout, I think it would have been hard to steer him away from Minnesota within reason.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Instead of saying what I would do I'll do what I would have done... and you all know this isn't "Captain Hindsight" as you all know I've been harping these things for a while.

1) Find a more "flexible" style coach (similar to Yeo) who molds his systems a little more towards the type of roster he has, rather than the optimal roster he dreams of.

2) Change a few positions in the organization. I know the team tracks scoring chances, but certain facts points out that the analytical usage in the game is either absent or inefficient. Hire a new analytical team (Gabe Desjardins would probably be one of the head ones). Also, new goaltending coach. I don't know Wade Flaherty, but I haven't really seen anything that gives me confidence in him.

3) Instead of losing assets for a very meh $3 mil player, I would have taken the much better J. Jokinen on waivers for the same price. He was passed by 30 GMs because of fear instilled by lack of scoring, but had really strong underlying numbers and on-ice percentages indicated it was predominately a mix of luck and gripping the stick.
PS: J.Jokinen with the poor percentages still paced similar to Setoguchi anyways.

4) Montoya, Stuart, Thorburn, and Jokinen (may have to retain ~1mil sal) all gone. All traded for picks and/or prospects, except Montoya is just not signed.

5) I thought Chevy slightly over paid for most of his re-signings compared to what they have proven, mostly on Clitsome and Bogosian, but they were so very, very slightly that I'll take it as a no choice thing. I also am fine with the depth signings of Halischuk, Samson, Gordon and Pardy, and loved the trade for Frolik.

6) With a different coach and a system created more for the players at hand, I'm thinking Burmistrov would have stayed. I'm not absolving Burmistrov's portion of the blame; I just think that sometimes things don't work out between two people in this situation.

7) Three UFA signings: Keith Ballard was signed for 1.5; I think we could have gotten him for similar with a spot in the top 4. Anton Khudobin was signed for 800; I would promise him a 1B role with the 1A role within reach of obtaining. One more top 9 piece: (I'll get bit for this one) Kyle Wellwood for 1.5, but other options were Raymond or Boyes.

8) We'd then end up a game day forward roster of:
FORWARDS
Andrew Ladd ($4.400m) / Bryan Little ($4.700m) / Blake Wheeler ($5.600m)
Evander Kane ($5.250m) / Alexander Burmistrov ($2.000m) / Jussi Jokinen ($3.000m)
Michael Frolik ($2.333m) / Mark Scheifele ($1.563m) / Kyle Wellwood* ($1.500m)
Eric Tangradi ($0.675m) / Jim Slater ($1.600m) / Anthony Peluso ($0.563m)
Matt Halischuk ($0.650m) / James Wright ($0.650m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Tobias Enstrom ($5.750m) / Dustin Byfuglien ($5.200m)
Keith Ballard ($1.500m) / Zach Bogosian ($5.143m)
Grant Clitsome ($2.067m) / Jacob Trouba ($1.828m)
Paul Postma ($0.713m) /
GOALTENDERS
Ondrej Pavelec ($3.900m)
Anton Khudobin ($0.800m)

*Wellwood could be Raymond or Boyes
------
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,383,690; BONUSES: $1,633,333; RETAINED SALARY: $1,000,000 (O. Jokinen)
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $3,549,643

9) I'd advise my coach that he is ultimately in charge of the roster but would stress a few things:
a) have a goalie schedule considering rests ahead of time with somewhat even splits, minor adjustments can be made with how things are going but the schedule for the most should be adhered too
b) give the middle 6 lines similar TOI but double shift Kane onto the 3rd line often, resting one of Wellwood or Frolik
c) Scheifele and Burmistrov can switch around depending on who is playing well, creating small but friendly competition

Very well thought out and detailed answer garret.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
I'd never move Bogosian in a million years. He is 23 years old. Most defensemen don't hit their prime until they're well my age (28). I think his play this year is due to, as others have said, playing on his off side and coming off surgery this past summer.

I would, as much as I love him, be willing to trade Wheeler. I don't know how much he'd go for. But something needs to be done.

I would wait until about halfway through the season before firing Noel. I'd also insist that Montoya plays more. Pavs has complete job security and has since the moment the Jets hired Noel. Pavs would benefit greatly from a new goaltending coach and some healthy competition.

I'd also suggest Schefiele go to the minors just for a little bit to help him adapt to the NHL game before.

I'd also make history being the first female GM. :yo:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Hopefully not. Just search for the other 100.

I don't want to see another what is the value of Bogosain thread either. I was just reacting/over reacting to the "lets dump him for next to nothing before he becomes an albatros" posts. Most teams would kill to have Bogasain given to them for the next 7 years for a little over $5 M per year.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I don't want to see another what is the value of Bogosain thread either. I was just reacting/over reacting to the "lets dump him for next to nothing before he becomes an albatros" posts. Most teams would kill to have Bogasain given to them for the next 7 years for a little over $5 M per year.

No worries, i agree too. I was just being a little sarcastic is all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad