You have been given full control of the Winnipeg Jets: GO!

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I don't think any one of us are happy with the Jets right meow. Instead of just complaining about what we think is wrong with the team, here is your opportunity to actually be an agent of change (in fantasyland :) )

Here are the rules:

1> I don't want this to be a complaining thread or a thread where we bash other's opinions.

2> Act as if you were actually in control of the team. Stay mindful of reality, the salary cap and the fact that you won't be able to go all NHL '95 on other GM's.

This is what I would do, ASAP, to right the ship:

I would remove Noel as head coach: Subject to his willingness to stay and the new HC desire to keep him on staff, I would retain him as a assistant coach. I think Noel is smart but not really strong enough to be a real motivator or leader.

Hire Jacques Martin (dependent on the Penguins releasing him from his A/C position): Jacques has experience coaching teams with an offensive mindset and players. He has had success at this level and has lots of experience.

Foster legitimate competition in the G position: I am not going to argue about Pavelec here. I do not think he is getting the #1 job done. I would sit him down, tell him that he needs to seriously commit to improving his mechanics and style. I would give Montoya starts and I would keep playing Montoya if he was playing well. Pavelec would have to earn his starts. If Montoya fails to push or usurp Pavelec, I would find a goaltender to replace Monty and challenge Pavelec.

Waive Chris Thorburn: I don't think he is an NHL'er. I think that he wastes a space a younger player could easily exceed his playing level at. Any of Wright, Halischuk, Peluso, heck even Cormier are better options. Get him off the team. Maybe he can mentor players on the Rock, and be a positive vet presence in the room.

Lock Mark Stuart in the pressbox: This guy is a 7th defenseman at his peak now. He should only be playing out of injury need. Pardy (though a very small sample size) showed that he can play Stuart's style but with better mobility hands and decision making.

Honestly, I think these few changes would do a LOT to turn the tides of the Winnipeg Jets. What would YOU do?

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Make it well-known around the league that I'm looking to make changes to the core of the Jets. Basically start the wheels turning on an off-season trade involving Wheeler and possibly Byfuglien (based on what it might take to re-sign him).

Start scouting undervalued/available NHL goalies for the next off-season.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
We don't always agree but I really like this. ^ (Jet's post)

IMO players have to held more accountable, ie. Wheeler is playing poorly right now, he sits a game.

Stu loses the A and it is given to Kane ASAP

PS Pardy surprised me last night, good mobility for a big guy, goes back to the question here about player and talent evaluations, Postma and Stu playing ahead of Pardy? Why Halischuk sat in favour of Thorburn, Wright and Tangradi at the start?

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
I don't think any one of us are happy with the Jets right meow. Instead of just complaining about what we think is wrong with the team, here is your opportunity to actually be an agent of change (in fantasyland :) )

Here are the rules:

1> I don't want this to be a complaining thread or a thread where we bash other's opinions.

2> Act as if you were actually in control of the team. Stay mindful of reality, the salary cap and the fact that you won't be able to go all NHL '95 on other GM's.

I would remove Noel as head coach: Subject to his willingness to stay and the new HC desire to keep him on staff, I would retain him as a assistant coach. I think Noel is smart but not really strong enough to be a real motivator or leader.

Hire Jacques Martin (dependent on the Penguins releasing him from his A/C position): Jacques has experience coaching teams with an offensive mindset and players. He has had success at this level and has lots of experience.

Foster legitimate competition in the G position: I am not going to argue about Pavelec here. I do not think he is getting the #1 job done. I would sit him down, tell him that he needs to seriously commit to improving his mechanics and style. I would give Montoya starts and I would keep playing Montoya if he was playing well. Pavelec would have to earn his starts. If Montoya fails to push or usurp Pavelec, I would find a goaltender to replace Monty and challenge Pavelec.

Waive Chris Thorburn: I don't think he is an NHL'er. I think that he wastes a space a younger player could easily exceed his playing level at. Any of Wright, Halischuk, Peluso, heck even Cormier are better options. Get him off the team. Maybe he can mentor players on the Rock, and be a positive vet presence in the room.

Lock Mark Stuart in the pressbox: This guy is a 7th defenseman at his peak now. He should only be playing out of injury need. Pardy (though a very small sample size) showed that he can play Stuart's style but with better mobility hands and decision making.

Honestly, I think these few changes would do a LOT to turn the tides of the Winnipeg Jets. What would YOU do?
Huh, you successfully started a thread and ended the thread in one post! :handclap:

I agree with everything you would do.

Personally, Noel's system isn't working and changes need to happen and soon. Though I'm not 100% sold on Jacques Martin to be honest, and I definitely don't want our team to be the group who changes coaches every season either.

A coach needs to be able to get the best out of his players despite the tough task at hand, Noel hasn't been doing this, his players aren't amped up to play, they don't look like they want to be here. A perfect example is the Nashville game, they flew in early morning from Montreal, we should have handed their ***** to them and beat them down. Nope. Now that's not all Noels fault, but the players looked unmotivated.

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Huh, you successfully started a thread and ended the thread in one post! :handclap:

I agree with everything you would do.

Personally, Noel's system isn't working and changes need to happen and soon. Though I'm not 100% sold on Jacques Martin to be honest, and I definitely don't want our team to be the group who changes coaches every season either.

A coach needs to be able to get the best out of his players despite the tough task at hand, Noel hasn't been doing this, his players aren't amped up to play, they don't look like they want to be here. A perfect example is the Nashville game, they flew in early morning from Montreal, we should have handed their ***** to them and beat them down. Nope. Now that's not all Noels fault, but the players looked unmotivated.

The Noel bashing is in the other thread.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Pretty much this:
49941-Simpsons-money-bath-gif-knqA.gif

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman

Here are the rules:

So your saying I cant trade Thorburn to the pens for Crosby and Malkin? :sarcasm:

But I agree with everything you said.

I would also go hard for a top 6 forward, tell GM's that everyone is available for the right return and listen to offers as I feel like we are one piece away from the playoffs.

I would do, as you said, give Montoya a couple starts, rotate them for a bit but also reward them. If Pav's plays great and gets a shut out, he gets the next game. I would also look and bringing Pasquale up to play a game, just to see what hes got.

Not to do with the players, but I would open up the seat exchange to everyone. Its not working this way, there are more empty seats in the building and it looks bad.

May also look at bringing O'Dell up and sitting Scheifele for a game.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Really like this thread.
Excellent initial post, Jet.

I'll post mine when I have some time. That said my views are fairly similar to Jets.

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
I would:

Promote Evander Kane and Zach Bogosian to Alternate Captains: Jokinen and Stuart have had lack luster starts to this year and they have been more a part of the problem than the solution. I think we should give this team over to the young guns that clearly want to win and will do what it takes to win. It will show the rest of the players that this is the kind of effort that we want, these are the guys we want to be an example to the rest of the team.

Players that are on the trading block:
Blake Wheeler: He has too many no-show games. He can be intense when he wants to be, but it's not every game. When he's not on his game, he's just a whipping boy out there for defensemen. They bump him and he falls over.

Paul Postma: Other teams will pay a nice high price for a puck moving defenseman. The rest of our defensive core make him redundant.

Ollie Jokinen: He vowed to be better this season, and he has been, but not by much. I don't think we will get much for him, though.

Mark Stuart: He has really taken a step down from last season. His lack of foot speed is even more apparent this season. I think Adam Pardy can play his role just as well.

Ondrej Pavelec: I think signing him to the contract we did was a mistake. His puck handling is absolutely terrible.

Need to acquire: A #1 center and a starting goalie. I would like to have a goalie that plays a better technical game (Patrick Roy), rather than one that relies on his athleticism (Hasek). I don't know what it would take to get these two players, but I'm good with trading a lot of players (meaning there are few players I would not trade, not I want to trade a lot of players for two players) if we get our needs met.

Last edited:

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
I would:

Players that are on the trading block:
Brad Wheeler: He has too many no-show games. He can be intense when he wants to be, but it's not every game. When he's not on his game, he's just a whipping boy out there for defensemen. They bump him and he falls over.

No wonder wheels has been so invisible out there, we've been letting his brother Brad play this whole time?

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I'd be along the lines of Jet. But, I'd give a certain Russian a phone call too.

I'd also look into moving almost anything for a 1C.

This one is mine. Not exactly the most "realistic" option but...

You pretty much need 2 great and one strong two way center to even be in the Cup discussion. It's what has held STL/NSH back, what pushed LAK/BOS over the top and has kept DET competitive forever. and what (I think) will have Montreal in the Cup discussion soon.

We have one guy in between a Cup contender's #2-3 and a future complimentary offensive guy in Scheifele.

A guy in the tier of Staal, Kopitar, Spezza, etc would make this team so, so much better. And that's why teams don't trade them often...

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Actually I think Jokinen is producing well for a 3rd-line center, but he doesn't have enough upside so that's where he'll stay. Currently on pace for 45pts...which would actually be fantastic for a 3rd line, 13-minutes guy. Small sample size though of course. If he managed to get anywhere near a whiff of that point total, I'd resign him for a year at a tempered salary. There, I said it!

Don't know who the Brad guy is. ;)

Put an 'A' on Kane.

copernicanrevolution

Apr 30, 2009
Atlanta
Blow it up and tank. I love a lot of this team, but I don't think this is a core that is ever going to play for the cup, let alone win it.

Specifically:

1. Fire Claude Noel. Replace him with a coach who has a good track record for the development of offensively gifted young players. I don't expect to win now. I expect to be in the SCF 5-6 years from now.

2. Gut the team, stockpiling draft picks.

Who stays: Kane (maybe, give him another year or two at least), Cormier, Frolik, Halischuk, Ladd, Scheifele, Bogosian, Enstrom, Trouba, Burmistrov (bring him back)

Who goes: Jokinen, Thorburn, Wheeler, Wright, Little. Byfuglien (he's awesome, but I don't know if he still will be in 5-6 years), Clitsome, Postma, Stuart, Pavelec, Montoya.

Who cares: Peluso, Setoguchi, Slater, Tangradi

3. Focus on drafting elite offensive talent or those with the potential. The back-end will be fine with Bogosian, Enstrom, and Trouba.

4. Look for a decent goalie in UFA or through trade. Repeat each year until we find one that works.

5. Wait 3-4 years to have a playoff ready team.

6. Hire a new coach (again). This time one that can win.

7. Move the team back to Atlanta and give Winnipeg an expansion franchise. I'm glad that you guys have a team, but I still get almost teary-eyed when I think about how much I miss going to NHL games.

PaperRockChamp

Oct 19, 2009
Wpg
I'd also sit or trade Stuart, at this point.

Reunite LLW and let them work it out. We need them. Wheeler is a slow starter.

Option A) Give Kane the centre position, like he wants. Switch Kane and Scheif on line 2.

Option B) Scheif to the AHL to learn how to absorb man-hits. Move Jokinen to #2C, deal with the lack of Centremen.

New rule: Goalie wins, he gets the next start. Ride the hot hand so we don't lose Montoya like we did Mason.

Make calls and find a team that will give something for Burmistrov, or call him and get his butt back here.

Minimal effort was put into these half-assed ideas. Sorry if jimmies were rustled.

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
I would be patient and leave things the way they are. You can see that this team has potential and you have to let them grow into it.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
First things first...

I'd try out my new chair. if it sucks, I'd get rid of it and find a new one. Probably one with a reclining option, it would have to swivel and move around easily. Not sure that wheels would be necessary at this point in time as those are almost too rolly.

Second. I'd smoke a cigar, patting myself on the back and praising my own genius to be able to pull off such a con.

Third, down to business.

I would fire the crap out of Noel, and look for other options. Martin in Pittsburgh or Carbonneau or Hunter would be at the top of my list.

I would get rid of Thorburn, and Trade off Stuart at the deadline. I would also actively shop Buff, Not sure if I would do the deal though. Depends on return. I'd package our first with something to obtain a top four LHD, built in the same mold as Bogo and Trouba, probably not as good though. I'd also try and trade Postma, and bring up Redmond.

Guys I would be interested obtaining for the Jets would be Goc, Bergenheim, Versteeg, Coburn, Voracek etc.)

At this point I would also trade away Jokinen for whatever. I mean...Paul Gaustad returned a first...so who knows?

I'd put a phone call into Burmistrov and try to bring him back to play third line C.

Starting Goaltender...

I dunno. I'd be more interested in getting a guy similar to Halak to split time with him, while molding our goalie of the future.

Train our guys on faceoffs.

thats stuff.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
Coaching change - Fire Noel and hire Carbonneau or Boucher as head coach.

Send Scheifele Down - Scheifele goes down to the AHL. IMO he hasn't shown that he's ready yet. Let him grow his game on the rock and bring him back next year when Olli is gone.

Bring up O'Dell - Bring up O'Dell, put him as the 3rd line C to start, Olli being on the second line. Olli might have more chemistry with Ladd/Frolik than he did with Kane. Only one way to find out.

Shop for goalies - seriously start looking around trying to make a deal for a bona fide #1 netminder. The list of assets I wouldn't give for one is quite short (Kane, Ladd, Bogo, Trouba). AFAIC, EVERYONE else is fair game.

Thorburn waived, Stuart sold for anything

Kane, Bogo wear As, Ladd keeps the C

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Pretty much this:
49941-Simpsons-money-bath-gif-knqA.gif

Yup.

When I'm getting tired of rolling around in money (around 3pm the next day I'm guessing), I'm gonna enroll in college and spend my money on tuition and other necesseties. Since I now am living somewhere around Virginia/Tennessee, I'm probably gonna buy some sunscreen.

Then I'm gonna find me a good woman, marry her, become a teacher and teach math or physics to high school kids. Then I'm gonna have a family. My kids are gonna play sports.

Later in life, I'm gonna look back at Jet's great gift to me and write him a letter, thanking him.

While on my death bed, I'm going to look back at my life, and see that despite all the tough times, I had a great life, and then I will die with a smile on my lips.

Oh, and I would fire Noel, or ask him to be an assistant coach for the team, while hiring someone else to be HC.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
What I'd Do:

Up until recently I've been pretty neutral on Noel, but his handling of Scheifele is bordering on criminal. At this time Scheifele is as close as we have to someone who could develop into a legit #1 C, so lets focus on his strengths instead of making the guy so tentative he is a step behind everything. So that being said I would replace Noel, with a coach is more along the lines of Roy for this team.

Then I would like to see some sort of shake up. The only guys I wouldn't trade are in this order: Trouba, Kane, Bogo, Morrissey, Ladd (recent picks with unknown upside). I'd hate to trade Enstrom or Buff but would trade one if it brought a #1 C or someone with real potential to be a #1 C. Wheeler or Little I'd trade for market value. Stuart & Thorburn I would stick in the pressbox forever or until their contracts expire. It like to keep Frolik and Scheifele and I don't think any of the rest would net us anything of value.

I'd pursue someone to challenge Pavs.

Lastly I would send Bogo and Huddy on a 2 day hunting/fishing trip so that they can reconnect and help bring out the 2011-12 Bogo.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
I'd trade Bogosian before the bottom drops out of him having any value.

Peluso has actually looked okay since he has stepped into the lineup and that should make Thorburn's days as a Jet numbered.

I'd look for a solid #2 in net that can compete for #1.

I'd have someone sit down with Kane and explain to him that when he matures past the point of taking bad penalties and whining about every call he will be made a alternative captain.

Ryan Giggs

There's no such thing as Scotchtoberfest
Sep 14, 2011
Bell MTS Place
I think trading Buff would be a huge mistake... however he may be one of the only assets we have that other teams may actually want.

I would however trade Enstrom in a heart beat

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Come on, we really don't know what is being said behind closed doors, and three games ago Scheif played a pretty good game. He's 5th in team in minutes for forwards (a bit over 15 minutes), ahead of others who have better resumes, and looks to be playing with Kane and Wheeler as his linemates next game...two guys who have been considered our best forwards at some point in the past. He also gets 2:35 minutes of PP time per game, which is about as much as Evander Kane.

I wouldn't wouldn't say that is 'bordering on criminal treatment'. Because he's looked tentative for the last two games? Because Huddy said a few words to him after his turnover? The player has to take ownership for some of that.

I don't really want to keep Noel right now either, but just saying IMHO I see no big mishandling here. Scheif has been given opportunity to shine, but without being overplayed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad