You Get To Be Kyle Dubas

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
If I was Dubas I would be very nervous right now.

He failed to get Matthews and Marner locked up LT this summer, and now that they have been unleashed and unsigned it only going to cost the Leafs more and more with each passing game and point.

I'd have resigned all 3 of the Amigo's prior to signing JT. You look after our own core players first an then go UFA spending with the excess cash and cap if ones has their priorities straight.

I would have brought both Marner and Nylander into the same room in joint negotiations and negotiated similar type deals going forward to keep both wingers happy.

I would have signed Matthews last of the three so that the other 2 can't use his deal as leverage much like Draisaitl used McDavid to get his new deal.

Dubas seems to be doing the very opposite of my suggestions and its going to end up costing the Leafs a lot more $$ and cap as a result.

You would have tried to sign the three Migos prior to signing JT, and (and I say this with 101% certainty) would have failed miserably. None of the three were signing early in the summer, barring a ridiculous overpay. This holdout was clearly a planned course of action for the Nylander camp, and Matthews\Marner's agents would be utterly useless if they actually recommended their clients to sign coming off of an injury marred campaign (Matthews) and overall statistics that undervalued the player's contributions due to a slow start (Marner).

Also, joint negotiations aren't a thing. The idea of Darren Ferris and Lewis Gross sitting in the same room, and negotiating twin\similar deals are the musings of a pre-teen. Its nonsensical.

The rest of the post appears to be intentionally provocative and contrarian, as has become par for the course and is true to form.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
If I was Dubas I would be very nervous right now.

He failed to get Matthews and Marner locked up LT this summer, and now that they have been unleashed and unsigned it only going to cost the Leafs more and more with each passing game and point.

I'd have resigned all 3 of the Amigo's prior to signing JT. You look after our own core players first an then go UFA spending with the excess cash and cap if ones has their priorities straight.

I would have brought both Marner and Nylander into the same room in joint negotiations and negotiated similar type deals going forward to keep both wingers happy.

I would have signed Matthews last of the three so that the other 2 can't use his deal as leverage much like Draisaitl used McDavid to get his new deal.

Dubas seems to be doing the very opposite of my suggestions and its going to end up costing the Leafs a lot more $$ and cap as a result.

Except that wasn't possible.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Brown traded, Kap 2 million, Gardiner 6 million, Sparks for about 800k, Borgman 800k. If you can manage to shave few 100k off a couple contracts then you can resign Leivo or Johnsson for the 23rd roster spot.

Marleau Matthews Kapanen
Hyman Tavares Marner
Grundstrom Kadri Nylander
Engvall Brooks Bracco
Marchment

Rielly Gardiner
Dermott Zaitsev
Borgman Liljegren
Holl

Andersen
Sparks

It's not ideal, and I'd imagine there's be some low value UFA Ennis types in the 4th line instead, but I just went off the exact numbers we already had signed from prospects.

Personally, gotta move on from Gardiner...too many luck head decisions, 6 million could be far better used.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
TOP SECRET
THE SHANNAPLAN
OPERATION "GOLDEN" LEAF

Hyman 2.25M Matthews 11M Kapanen 2.8M
Leivo 2M Tavares 11M Nylander 6.25M
Johnsson 2.1M Kadri 4.5M Marner 8M
Marlie .8M Gauthier .675M Marlie .8M
Marlie .8M

Rielly 5M Karlsson 11M
Dermott .864M Petry 5.5M
Sandin .925M Liljegrin .875M
Marlie .8M Marlie .8M

Sign Matthews to 11M per with HARD NTC max term
Sign Nylander for 6.25M per BRIDGE DEAL OF 2 YEARS with NTC
Sign Marner to 8M per with HARD NTC max term
Sign Kapanen to 2.8 M per for 3 years
Sign Johnsson to 2.1 M per for 2 years
Sign Leivo to 2M per for 1 year
Sign Pickard for 1M per for 2 years
Sign E. KARLSSON to 11M per limited NTC max term

Marleau is traded for picks or retires
Trade Andersssen for picks
Trade Brown for picks
Trade with the Montreal Canadians for Petry using Zaitsev and picks/prospects

Sparks .675M
Pickard 1M

(Kessel 1.2M)

$81.7M in Capspace.

Good lord that goaltending lol

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Marleau's 3rd year will disappear - just not the way people think:
  • Marleau (plus futures) will be traded to a team with cap space in 2019-20.
  • That team will immediately buy-out Marleau's contract.
  • The Leafs will immediately re-sign Marleau.
  • Marleau will never have to move or change teams.
  • Marleau will make more money (even if he signs for $700,000).
The team we trade with:
  • Will have to pay Marleau roughly $3,800,000 actual dollars.
  • Will lose $6,250,000 in cap space for 1-season (easy to plan).
  • Will be compensated for this.
Washington just did this with Brooks Orpik.
  • He was traded to Colorado & bought out (but never left Washington).
  • He re-signed in WSH for $1,000,0000 & they saved $4,500,000 in cap-space.

I like this idea, other than giving up futures to save some $$ on Marleau's contract, but shit needs to be sacrificed I suppose.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
We are the team that dumped Phanuef's ENTIRE cap hit and traded Clarkson's deal. People really think we can't make an easier move like moving Marleau's deal?

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
its simple really.

Lol... The math isn't the hard part. The atrocity of a d-core that you think it's acceptable for Toronto to roll with in order to fit all the forwards under the cap is the issue. I'm also curious why you think the cap is going to jump to 83.5 million?

Cappuccino

Aug 18, 2017
the Netherlands
If all goes well, our D could be (in a couple of years):

Rielly - Liljegren
Dermott - Zaitsev
Sandin - ??

Compared to for instance:

Rielly - Trouba / Pesce / someone else
Dermott - Liljegren
Sandin or ? - Zaitsev

I would prefer option 2 (for the future). You can't play both Dermott and Gardiner as the LD behind Rielly, so if we won't resign Gardiner I much rather trade him now. I would add Gardiner to Nylander and maybe even Brown (a litte bit to expensive for what he brings, although in the playoffs it will be the Browns of this world who are very usefull) for a RD and a cheaper winger.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Lol... The math isn't the hard part. The atrocity of a d-core that you think it's acceptable for Toronto to roll with in order to fit all the forwards under the cap is the issue. I'm also curious why you think the cap is going to jump to 83.5 million?

Because Gary Bettman has already said in a press-conference that they are expecting the same cap growth as last year....which would make the cap $84,000,000 next year.

I'm curious as to why you think the cap won't grow?

Reactions: Menzinger

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto

because people like you know how good Lilegren and Sandin can be? give me a break. Better teams have done more with far worse.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
if I'm Dubas, i move Gardiner + for a 25'ish year old PK killing top 4 d'man and I possibly trade for a really good back up goalie.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
We are the team that dumped Phanuef's ENTIRE cap hit and traded Clarkson's deal. People really think we can't make an easier move like moving Marleau's deal?

And Marleau is the guy with a NMC, who wants to win a cup.
why would he move his family (again) for one year?

NightTrain1

Oct 20, 2013
I find this whole situation absolutely fascinating and honestly exciting. The CAP is definitely going to go up to around 84mill next year, and possibly higher even. I think the NHL was a bit reserved this year on purpose and we might see a slightly higher jump this time as a lot of teams will need it.

The whole Orpik trade/buyout/re-sign option is intriguing, but different with us as Marleau has a NMC. It would definitely benefit him though if the agreement nets him an extra million or so to come back to a CUP favorite. But we cant bank on that one bit.

Gardiner is a top20 scoring NHL defenseman that can log big minutes, move the puck well and is also subject to large brain cramps. He is a free and clear UFA though and that weighs huge on any return in a trade. He wont be back with us though so we gotta try and get some value while we can.
Sparks is undoubtedly going to be re-signed and as and RFA with no leverage it will be for a small amount.

One major bonus for this team with so much skill all around on long contracts will be a lesser need for our draft picks. Used properly those can definitely help us reach our contract goals.

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
I find this whole situation absolutely fascinating and honestly exciting. The CAP is definitely going to go up to around 84mill next year, and possibly higher even. I think the NHL was a bit reserved this year on purpose and we might see a slightly higher jump this time as a lot of teams will need it.

The whole Orpik trade/buyout/re-sign option is intriguing, but different with us as Marleau has a NMC. It would definitely benefit him though if the agreement nets him an extra million or so to come back to a CUP favorite. But we cant bank on that one bit.

Gardiner is a top20 scoring NHL defenseman that can log big minutes, move the puck well and is also subject to large brain cramps. He is a free and clear UFA though and that weighs huge on any return in a trade. He wont be back with us though so we gotta try and get some value while we can.
Sparks is undoubtedly going to be re-signed and as and RFA with no leverage it will be for a small amount.

One major bonus for this team with so much skill all around on long contracts will be a lesser need for our draft picks. Used properly those can definitely help us reach our contract goals.
You can make it all but assured if you make it a conditional pick, with the condition that if the team buys out the player, they get a higher pick.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
And Marleau is the guy with a NMC, who wants to win a cup.
why would he move his family (again) for one year?

The Orpik buyout seems like a reasonable scenario. Pay Marleau his bonus and trade him and some prospect to Arizona, who buys out Marleau for half his base salary of $1.5 million, but I assume retains a bigger cap hit. Then the Leafs re-sign Marleau at a small cost, so the player has all the money he would have earned in his pocket, Arizona has an artificially beefed up cap, and we save huge on that $6.25 million cap hit, shaving it down to whatever it is.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
You would have tried to sign the three Migos prior to signing JT, and (and I say this with 101% certainty) would have failed miserably. None of the three were signing early in the summer, barring a ridiculous overpay. This holdout was clearly a planned course of action for the Nylander camp, and Matthews\Marner's agents would be utterly useless if they actually recommended their clients to sign coming off of an injury marred campaign (Matthews) and overall statistics that undervalued the player's contributions due to a slow start (Marner).

Also, joint negotiations aren't a thing. The idea of Darren Ferris and Lewis Gross sitting in the same room, and negotiating twin\similar deals are the musings of a pre-teen. Its nonsensical.

The rest of the post appears to be intentionally provocative and contrarian, as has become par for the course and is true to form.

thank you
honestly, i don't understand how people thought for one moment Matthews and Marner were gonna sign after the not really standard years they had last year.

Reactions: Myopic

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
The Orpik buyout seems like a reasonable scenario. Pay Marleau his bonus and trade him and some prospect to Arizona, who buys out Marleau for half his base salary of $1.5 million, but I assume retains a bigger cap hit. Then the Leafs re-sign Marleau at a small cost, so the player has all the money he would have earned in his pocket, Arizona has an artificially beefed up cap, and we save huge on that $6.25 million cap hit, shaving it down to whatever it is.

again.
the man lived in SJ his entire life, and left there to win a cup.
why is he going to give up his NMC to leave.

the key word you're missing there is NMC. and honestly i doubt that scenario is gonna happen.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
again.

the key word you're missing there is NMC. and honestly i doubt that scenario is gonna happen.
He came for the $$$

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
again.

If he came for a cup we could sign him.back after the buyout at 1,000,000. If he really wants to win a cup than take one for the team to keep the core together.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
If he came for a cup we could sign him.back after the buyout at 1,000,000. If he really wants to win a cup than take one for the team to keep the core together.

i have a feeling that's illegal. that you can't re-sign a bought out player.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
i have a feeling that's illegal. that you can't re-sign a bought out player.

again.

It's one big paper transaction, Marleau stays a Leaf:

Leafs pay Marleau his bonus money and trade Marleau and a sweetener to Arizona.

Arizona buys out Matthews but gains a cap hit greater than the $$$ they actually bought out Marleau with.

Leafs sign Marleau for some value, save big on cap hit.

Marleau pockets the bonus money, his buyout money and the new salary.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Ok, after some thought, here are your 2019 Toronto Maple Leafs…

1. Trade Jake Gardiner at the deadline for a 1st round pick and either a prospect or a second pick.
2. Trade Marleau along with an asset to a team willing to buy him out, pay his bonus and resign him after he's bought out at $2 million.
3. Trade Brown for an asset for the sake of cap relief.
4. Sign Kapanen to a 2 year bridge deal and agree to pay him later if he repeats what should be an excellent 2018.
5. Sign Alex Edler as a UFA.
6. Trade For Josh Anderson.
7. Draft a defenseman and a forward with your 2 first round picks.

Kasperi Kapanen (4.0) / Auston Matthews (12.0) / William Nylander (6.75)
Zack Hyman (2.25) / John Tavares (11.0) / Mitch Marner (8.5)
Patrick Marleau (2.0) / Nazem Kadri (4.5) / Josh Anderson (1.85)
Josh Leivo (2.0) / Fredrik Gauthier (1.0) / Par Lindholm (1.5)
Carl Grunstrom (1.0)

Total: 58 Million

Morgan Reilly (5.0) / Alex Edler (5.0)
Travis Dermott (1.0) / Nikita Zaitsev (4.5)
Timothy Liljegren (1.0) / Igor Ozghiganov (1.5)
Andreas Borgman (1.0)

Total: 18

Fredrick Anderson (5.0)
Garrett Sparks (1.0)

Total: 6.0 Million

Grand Total: 82 Million

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Dubas needs to look in the mirror with regards to this D-core. In fact he has been year for 5 years and the same problem still exists, yet he is not fixing the issue. Leafs do not have any muscle on the back end who can defend the forecheck and cycle game. He goes out and gets Barrie, someone they do not need. They dont need a puck mover on the backend, they need a big body who can bang in the corners. Muzzin is the only guy that provides some muscle, but his skating is very average.

If Im Dubas, I am moving Tyson Barrie for the polar opposite of what he is. A big bodied, right shot Dman who can skate and separate man from puck down low. Win battles, make forecheckers pay a price.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Dubas needs to look in the mirror with regards to this D-core. In fact he has been year for 5 years and the same problem still exists, yet he is not fixing the issue. Leafs do not have any muscle on the back end who can defend the forecheck and cycle game. He goes out and gets Barrie, someone they do not need. They dont need a puck mover on the backend, they need a big body who can bang in the corners.

lol this thread is so old how did you even find it

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
Dubas needs to look in the mirror with regards to this D-core. In fact he has been year for 5 years and the same problem still exists, yet he is not fixing the issue. Leafs do not have any muscle on the back end who can defend the forecheck and cycle game. He goes out and gets Barrie, someone they do not need. They dont need a puck mover on the backend, they need a big body who can bang in the corners. Muzzin is the only guy that provides some muscle, but his skating is very average.

If Im Dubas, I am moving Tyson Barrie for the polar opposite of what he is. A big bodied, right shot Dman who can skate and separate man from puck down low. Win battles, make forecheckers pay a price.

If anything you should be discussing how Dubas completely bent over on the contracts. Overpaid and didn't even get max term

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad