You Get To Be Kyle Dubas

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
Pickard isn't a Leaf, Sparks isn't a starter,nor is he a real NHL backup at this point and you should be ashamed of yourself for even suggesting Reimer, Reimer is soft he gets hurt if you breath on him wrong .

Reimer has no guts

The stats don't lie. Reimer has posted a .916 save % over the last couple of years. Anderssen a .917 save %. And Pickard is a UFA once this season is completed. I'm willing to take the chance on this duo if it means landing Karlsson and solidifying our core and roster. And if it doesn't work... there are plenty of goaltenders just like Reimer that can be picked up for relatively few assets. With Matthews, Tavares, Kadri, Marner, Nylander, Rielly, and Karlsson, we'll be able to outscore our problems better than ever. You can't build a perfect roster in the cap era, but this is as close as you can get.

NHL.com - Stats

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The stats don't lie. Reimer has posted a .916 save % over the last couple of years. Anderssen a .917 save %. And Pickard is a UFA once this season is completed. I'm willing to take the chance on this duo if it means landing Karlsson and solidifying our core and roster. And if it doesn't work... there are plenty of goaltenders just like Reimer that can be picked up for relatively few assets. With Matthews, Tavares, Kadri, Marner, Nylander, Rielly, and Karlsson, we'll be able to outscore our problems better than ever. You can't build a perfect roster in the cap era, but this is as close as you can get.

NHL.com - Stats

The Stats can say what they want, but games played matters too, Reimer is not a starter, because he can't be because he can't and never could stay healthy because like I said Reimer gets hurt if you breath on him wrong

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
A couple points. I think the idea that Toronto is one responsible, two way defenseman away from being a Cup contender is a product of Leaf fans lacking some objectivity regarding the current state of the d core and what happens to exist in the system in terms of a 3-4 year outlook on defensive development. Certainly, I am not clairvoyant, there will probably be a Leaf defenseman that develops better than I think he will outside of the obvious guys (Sandin and Liljegren), but I think to bank on it is to waste some of Toronto's best years as a possible contender.

I understand that some wouldn't want to move Lil as I suggested in my previous post. That's fine. I think Toronto can sign a better Hainsey as an FA to be their #4 defenseman. Whether that's a guy like Alex Edler or Anton Stralman, I'm not sure, but if one fact remains a reality...

For those of you that think Toronto is going to be able acquire a legitimate top pairing defenseman, or a high end second pairing defenseman with a quality contract, to insulate Gardiner, without a trade involving Nylander (assuming Matthews, Tavares, Marner and Kadri are not even in question), Liljegren or a 1st round pick, you're crazy. If Toronto doesn't make a move, they are essentially the Washington Capitals circa Ovechkin, Semin, Backstrom and Green... They'll be fun score 5 goals a game all year, only to watch them completely fizzle when it matters. Maybe some years Toronto will get lucky and land a rental at a reasonable cost, but that isn't likely when you're talking about the type of Dmen Toronto currently lacks to hang with the big boys when it counts.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Been watching some other teams play since you can basically get any game in HD using reddit to find streams.

We are definitely getting shafted on Brown lol. Can split his salary into two players that hustle and back check like him.

Pretty much, guys like Winnik could do the same and available every year for 700k.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I don't think a scenario exists where Matthews only gets 11, personally. McDavid is the bench mark.

I don't think Matthews is as good as McDavid so that's why I put him at 11M.

McDavid is the top guy in the league so no one is making more than him, right?

Now Eichel is a comp (you can bet Leafs management will use him) and he makes 10M per. Tavares is making 11M per and took a bit of a discount to help the team. I think with the benefits Matthews gets in Toronto such as endorsement opportunities, likely captaincy etc etc he'll grab 11M too.

Marner is the toughest one IMO.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
You know what talks as well? A Stanley Cup
He's actually got a chance to win one which would be pretty attractive to a guy that old and that's played this long i'd imagine

Martin didn't have a full NMC so we could do anything we wanted with him, we cannot do anything without Marleau's consent
I don't know why people don't get this. If Marleau doesn't wanna go, he stays. The only way I see him leaving is if the Leafs win the cup this year and he wants to retire on top.

Reactions: Kiwi

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
TOP SECRET
THE SHANNAPLAN
OPERATION "GOLDEN" LEAF

Hyman 2.25M Matthews 11M Kapanen 2.8M
Leivo 2M Tavares 11M Nylander 6.25M
Johnsson 2.1M Kadri 4.5M Marner 8M
Marlie .8M Gauthier .675M Marlie .8M
Marlie .8M

Rielly 5M Karlsson 11M
Dermott .864M Petry 5.5M
Sandin .925M Liljegrin .875M
Marlie .8M Marlie .8M

Sign Matthews to 11M per with HARD NTC max term
Sign Nylander for 6.25M per BRIDGE DEAL OF 2 YEARS with NTC
Sign Marner to 8M per with HARD NTC max term
Sign Kapanen to 2.8 M per for 3 years
Sign Johnsson to 2.1 M per for 2 years
Sign Leivo to 2M per for 1 year
Sign Pickard for 1M per for 2 years
Sign E. KARLSSON to 11M per limited NTC max term

Marleau is traded for picks or retires
Trade Andersssen for picks
Trade Brown for picks
Trade with the Montreal Canadians for Petry using Zaitsev and picks/prospects

Sparks .675M
Pickard 1M

(Kessel 1.2M)

$81.7M in Capspace.
Wow.

Kids, don't do drugs.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

Now Eichel is a comp (you can bet Leafs management will use him) and he makes 10M per. Tavares is making 11M per and took a bit of a discount to help the team. I think with the benefits Matthews gets in Toronto such as endorsement opportunities, likely captaincy etc etc he'll grab 11M too.

you think Leaf mgmt using Eichel as a comp is a benefit ? and he's already a better player than Tavares so i'd be thrilled if he signed for 11.5m or under

the problem with Marner's going to be is that he's the one driving that line while JT hovers down low away from the puck and around the net so i really doubt he thinks he should get paid like a typical scoring winger

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
you think Leaf mgmt using Eichel as a comp is a benefit ? and he's already a better player than Tavares so i'd be thrilled if he signed for 11.5m or under

the problem with Marner's going to be is that he's the one driving that line while JT hovers down low away from the puck and around the net so i really doubt he thinks he should get paid like a typical scoring winger

We'll see how it goes. I think everyone is really worrying about this too much, let's enjoy the ride. If he signs during the year let's talk about it but for now, enjoy the hockey and we'll see about his new deal in the off-season.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

Crosby has been making $8.7 million since 2012.

I don't think McDavid on 11 means anything if Matthews continues to have a monser year. If they both stay healthy over 82 games, I think Matthews puts up more points, and probably has more playoff success because the players around him.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
We'll see how it goes. I think everyone is really worrying about this too much, let's enjoy the ride. If he signs during the year let's talk about it but for now, enjoy the hockey and we'll see about his new deal in the off-season.
after living through 2 extremely long black hole periods as a Leaf fan i can't tell you how much i've enjoyed watching this team the last 2 years

however cap mgmt is very much a concern and it seems our mgmt has there heads in the clouds about how there going to "fit" everyone in and are delaying the hard decisions for some reason

imo they should have come to the realization the moment they signed JT that they were going to lose quality pieces and planned appropriately instead of the constant "take one for the team" message theey keep spewing

Reactions: Polaris1010

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Crosby has been making $8.7 million since 2012.

I don't think McDavid on 11 means anything if Matthews continues to have a monser year. If they both stay healthy over 82 games, I think Matthews puts up more points, and probably has more playoff success because the players around him.

Back diving illegal deals with both Crosby and Malkin. Oilers have gone to within a win of a Western conference final, we need to have that success.

after living through 2 extremely long black hole periods as a Leaf fan i can't tell you how much i've enjoyed watching this team the last 2 years

however cap mgmt is very much a concern and it seems our mgmt has there heads in the clouds about how there going to "fit" everyone in and are delaying the hard decisions for some reason

imo they should have come to the realization the moment they signed JT that they were going to lose quality pieces and planned appropriately instead of the constant "take one for the team" message theey keep spewing

Marleau, Brown, Zaitsev, Gardiner, Hainsey all likely need to go.

Nylander may go but if his big $ goes towards a defenseman that can make a strong impact that's fine.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron

You're right about the Tavares signing. At some time it forces the Leafs to probably trade a young expensive star like Nylander. But that's fine. Look at the Tavares signing as trade
Leafs get Tavares at 11m and all the assets for Nylander acquired in a trade for 7m Nylander. The other option would be not sign Tavares, have 7m Nylander and 4m in cap space for other use. IMO having Tavares and the return for Nylander is better for the Leafs.
But as you suggest, "the take one for the team" isn't very realistic especially when spoken in a public forum.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
This is a skeleton for next year

X-Matthews(11M)-X
Hyman(2.25M)-Tavares(11M)-Marner(7.5M)
Johnsson(1.5M)-Kadri(4.5M)-Kapanen(2.5M)
Grundstrom(ELC)-X(Goat? Lindholm?)-X

Rielly(5M)-X
Dermott(900k ELC)-X
X-Liljegren(925k ELC)

Andersen (5M)

If they aren't there it's because they're replaceable, solve for X. Kapanen could be on Matthews line just as easily.

Engvall is an X-factor as well.

Last edited:

varano

Jun 27, 2013
*straight face* With Sparks/Pickard 1A/1B situation. Whoever earns the job earns the job. If they both suck during the regular season, we just give up some relatively small assets for a 1B goaltender like James Reimer (that's in the 1M to 2M range) to start games.

Karlsson + Sparks|Pickard (probably average save % between the two of them, haven't proven anything in the playoffs) > Gardiner + Andersson (marginally above average save % who hasn't proven anything in the playoffs)

We'll have Matthews, Tavares, Kadri, Marner, Nylander, Rielly, and Karlsson on the same team. You simply cannot build a better team in the cap era.
Holy moses...
There should be some names that are never spoken on this board and there should be a sticky:

James Reimer, Peter Horachek, Nelson Mandela...

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
It's always been absurd, this idea that the 3rd year of Marleau's contract would just disappear.

Bridge Willie, look to move Gardiner in a real hockey trade for a RHD (we have to add) and sign Matthews/Marner on the same day in the summer. I would love to see the backpedaling these "insiders" would have to do.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
its simple really.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    97.5 KB · Views: 8

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
It's always been absurd, this idea that the 3rd year of Marleau's contract would just disappear.

Bridge Willie, look to move Gardiner in a real hockey trade for a RHD (we have to add) and sign Matthews/Marner on the same day in the summer. I would love to see the backpedaling these "insiders" would have to do.

Marleau's 3rd year will disappear - just not the way people think:
  • Marleau (plus futures) will be traded to a team with cap space in 2019-20.
  • That team will immediately buy-out Marleau's contract.
  • The Leafs will immediately re-sign Marleau.
  • Marleau will never have to move or change teams.
  • Marleau will make more money (even if he signs for $700,000).
The team we trade with:
  • Will have to pay Marleau roughly $3,800,000 actual dollars.
  • Will lose $6,250,000 in cap space for 1-season (easy to plan).
  • Will be compensated for this.
Washington just did this with Brooks Orpik.
  • He was traded to Colorado & bought out (but never left Washington).
  • He re-signed in WSH for $1,000,0000 & they saved $4,500,000 in cap-space.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeafShark

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If I was Dubas I would be very nervous right now.

He failed to get Matthews and Marner locked up LT this summer, and now that they have been unleashed and unsigned it only going to cost the Leafs more and more with each passing game and point.

I'd have resigned all 3 of the Amigo's prior to signing JT. You look after our own core players first an then go UFA spending with the excess cash and cap if ones has their priorities straight.

I would have brought both Marner and Nylander into the same room in joint negotiations and negotiated similar type deals going forward to keep both wingers happy.

I would have signed Matthews last of the three so that the other 2 can't use his deal as leverage much like Draisaitl used McDavid to get his new deal.

Dubas seems to be doing the very opposite of my suggestions and its going to end up costing the Leafs a lot more $$ and cap as a result.

Last edited:

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
If I was Dubas I would be very nervous right now.

He failed to get Matthews and Marner locked up LT this summer, and now that they have been unleashed and unsigned it only going to cost the Leafs more and more with each passing game and point.

Because Will Nye.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->