You Get To Be Kyle Dubas

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
If that were the case why would they have given him a NMC? If the contract does the talking, and we look at all aspects of the contract, the most sensible explanation is that they structured it in such a way so that he would have the oprion to retire early without adversely affecting the Leafs' cap situation.

There is also no chance they made some kind if arrangement at the beginning of the deal. No way do you keep yourself in as good shape as Marleau and then say "yup, I will definitely be ready to be put out to pasture in a couple years, let's build a contract that will force you to o ship me out to Arizona in a couple years"

I don't know the reason, but that's definitely not it. It's a 35+ contract. The cap hit counts even if he were to retire. See Datsyuk.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Don’t forget the loophole for Nylander. Since he is signing into the season his cap hit will be higher this year but it lowers the AAV for the remaining years. So his 2019 cap hit would be less assuming the average actually is $6.5M

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Matthews is 11M for sure, gets the 8 years at 11M just like Tavares got (We're getting an extra year of term but RFA vs UFA).

Nylander definitely fits the bill at 6.5M, that's what he's worth.

Marner is tough, I have been using $7.5M as the cap hit for him. Tarasenko money basically.

Matthews is getting 12+ if he keeps up this production. There is no RFA vs UFA with a franchise borderline generational talent. You don't want to mess with him and make him upset cuz he will bolt as soon as he gets a chance. You don't have leverage when that kind of player wins multiple trophies and leads your team. You do all in your power to make him happy.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Matthews is getting 12+ if he keeps up this production. There is no RFA vs UFA with a franchise borderline generational talent. You don't want to mess with him and make him upset cuz he will bolt as soon as he gets a chance. You don't have leverage when that kind of player wins multiple trophies and leads your team. You do all in your power to make him happy.

He has to win all those trophies first.

Connor McDavid is the ceiling in the NHL and Matthews will be under that ceiling because he's not the best player in the NHL.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
He has to win all those trophies first.

Connor McDavid is the ceiling in the NHL and Matthews will be under that ceiling because he's not the best player in the NHL.

If Matthews keeps this kind of production up he will make more than McDavid. You can't argue results. Besides McDavid signed his deal 2 years before Matthews will. Cap ceiling will be different. Tavares isn't on the same level as Matthews , they should not be making the same money. Matthews will break Tavares career high in every category in his 3rd full season.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
TOP SECRET
THE SHANNAPLAN
OPERATION "GOLDEN" LEAF

Hyman 2.25M Matthews 11M Kapanen 2.8M
Leivo 2M Tavares 11M Nylander 6.25M
Johnsson 2.1M Kadri 4.5M Marner 8M
Marlie .8M Gauthier .675M Marlie .8M
Marlie .8M

Rielly 5M Karlsson 11M
Dermott .864M Petry 5.5M
Sandin .925M Liljegrin .875M
Marlie .8M Marlie .8M

Sign Matthews to 11M per with HARD NTC max term
Sign Nylander for 6.25M per BRIDGE DEAL OF 2 YEARS with NTC
Sign Marner to 8M per with HARD NTC max term
Sign Kapanen to 2.8 M per for 3 years
Sign Johnsson to 2.1 M per for 2 years
Sign Leivo to 2M per for 1 year
Sign Pickard for 1M per for 2 years
Sign E. KARLSSON to 11M per limited NTC max term

Marleau is traded for picks or retires
Trade Andersssen for picks
Trade Brown for picks
Trade with the Montreal Canadians for Petry using Zaitsev and picks/prospects

Sparks .675M
Pickard 1M

(Kessel 1.2M)

$81.7M in Capspace.

Why are you paying Leivo money? he is currently doing NOTHING which isn't a surprise at this point

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Everyone worries about offer sheets to the big three, but it's guys like Kapanen that are the real risks in that regard.

They can be signed for up to $4M at the cost of only a second rounder. Now if Kappy takes the next step next year, maybe a team sees a cheap (in terms of assets) way to pick up a good young player. Leafs would reaally need to bridge him because of the cap crunch.

From Kapanen's perspective, given all the unknowns of an NHL career, is it greedy to jump at $20M over $5M, or just sensible?

You can replace Kapanen, Brown, Hyman etc they are good pieces but they are not core pieces they can be replaced.

Matthews Marner Nylander Tavares Rielly those are the pieces that count, they are the ones that matter

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Willie singing is a big domino, actually. It is going to effect not only tbe guys above him, but the guys below.
If Kap gets top six minutes with premium talent, his cost will go up.
Same goes with AJ.
Willie holding out might mean 2-3 mil higher cap hits for the guys below him, creating a snugger fit for everything.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
I don't want to suggest for what etc, but Brown can likely be replaced. 2.1M for what he brings when you're watching your cap seems like it could be better spent.
The Connor browns of the world are not what hurts you for a 2.1 million cap hit.

The ron hainsey's and this season...Jake gardiners are the issue.

Reactions: Jeffrey Pedler

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If Matthews keeps this kind of production up he will make more than McDavid. You can't argue results. Besides McDavid signed his deal 2 years before Matthews will. Cap ceiling will be different. Tavares isn't on the same level as Matthews , they should not be making the same money. Matthews will break Tavares career high in every category in his 3rd full season.

I love how you know all this already and spout it like it's a fact.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I am worried that these guys are indeed going to be setting market records the way they are going.

I would start with Matthews first. He's the priority. If you can get the ink to paper before too long (he's increasing his value by the game)...12 mil...then Marner (trending towards 10 mil in the off season) at 8.5 or 9 mil then worry about Nylander (he either signs a cap friendly bridge deal or trade him now). Trade Gardiner around Christmas. (although it would be nice if he threw some points up on the board)

Hopefully you get a decent #2 defenseman and some picks back for this guys.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
I don't know the reason, but that's definitely not it. It's a 35+ contract. The cap hit counts even if he were to retire. See Datsyuk.

No, I meant if he chose to retire the contract would be easy to move.

i.e. the contract structure allows the contract to be traded after 2 years, and the NMC ensures Marleau that they won't do that unless he retires and waives it.

Last edited:

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Let's assume you're right about having 13m to spend for 10 players, mostly bottom end or ELC players.

Gauthier, Lindberg, Gundstrom, Leivo and Kapanen....6m
Liljegren, Borgman, Ozhignokov and one more.............6m
Sparks 1m

It's the top end guys that is a wild card. If Matthews and Marner are deserving of 12 and 9...some other high end player has to be traded...such as a Nylander.

Except for Kessel's retention, you could argue that the Leafs have no bad contracts, It's the possible emergence of two superstars...Matthews and Marner along with Tavares contract that might be Leafs in cap problem. Though if you have three superstar forwards.....is that really a problem? I witnessed the Leafs under Burke and Nonis who had cap issues with out of playoffs teams due to their blatant incompetence as GMs....overpaying for average to poor players. The Leaf situation now of having "too many good player" is much better. Too many good players making too much "deserved" money. You can always trade one for value.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
In a hypothetical world, Kapanen plays the entire season next to Matthews, has a big breakout for 60 points, and I'd look at using him as the primary piece to acquire Pesce.
Depending on Zaitsev's season, I'd explore the market for him rather heavily.
Every effort would be made to make Marleau wave his NMC to tie him to an asset and sent on a retirement year somewhere.
Hope that Calgary is one of the teams reportedly very high on Brown, and tie him to whatever it takes to acquire Rasmus "RD Dermott" Andersson.
Resign Gardiner.
Fill in the lesser roles according to lesser needs, good depth options with flexible contracts.

Aim at rolling into next season with:

Grundström - Matthews - Nylander (Upgrade on now)
Hyman - Tavares - Marner (Same as now)
Johnsson - Kadri - Leivo (Potential upgrade)
X - X - X (HUGE upgrade)

Rielly - Pesce (Actually huge upgrade)
Gardiner - Andersson (Hopefully similar)
Dermott - Liljegren (Likely an upgrade)
Borgman (Probably an upgrade)

Andersen (Mainly just grade)
X (X is simply not an NHL goaltender)

Fail at achieving anything, get fired into the sun three months into the season.
(Just trying to up the realism factor)

Last edited:

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Bridge Nylander 3x5
Bridge Kappy, 2x2.8

Marleau (6.25)-Matthews (11)-Kap (2.8) = 20.05
Hyman (2.25)-Tavares (11) - Marner (8.5) = 21.75
xxx- Kadri (4.5)-Nylander (5)- (9.5)
xxx-xxx-xxx
xxx-xxx

Forwards = 58.5 (51.3 on page + 6 to fill blanks +1.2 for Kessel)

Rielly (5) -xxx
Dermott (.9)-Zaitsev (4.5)
xxx-Liljegren (.9)
Oz-1.2

Defence= 17 (12.5 listed + 4.5 to fill blanks) It's a long shot but it's possible that the 3 RHD are viable options for a top 6, relieving all of the pressure.

Andersen (5)
xxx

Goalie = 6

Half million left for injury room, Brown traded

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
I don't want to suggest for what etc, but Brown can likely be replaced. 2.1M for what he brings when you're watching your cap seems like it could be better spent.

Been watching some other teams play since you can basically get any game in HD using reddit to find streams.

We are definitely getting shafted on Brown lol. Can split his salary into two players that hustle and back check like him.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Some good thoughts so far in the thread. That said, I'm much more interested in the Leafs contending in the next 4-5 years than some of you appear to be, given that there doesn't seem to be any desire from most to fix Toronto's glaring weakness, the defense. Specifically, with a couple defensemen that bring difference attributes to the table than what we currently have on the roster and in the system... So here we go...

William Nylander + Connor Brown to Anaheim for Josh Manson and their 1st round pick.
Timothy Liljegren + Anaheim's 1st round pick to Vancouver for Chris Tanev and a prospect.
Patrick Marleau to anyone he'll wave for, for whatever Toronto can get. Necessary cap dump.
Bridge Kasperi Kapanen for 2-3 years.
Sign Jakub Silfverberg.
Draft defensemen in the 1st and 2nd round to replace Liljegren in the system.

2019 Toronto Maple Leafs

Kapanen (3.0m) / Matthews (11.5m) / Silfverberg (4.25m)
Hyman (2.25m) / Tavares (11.0m) / Marner (8.0m)
Leivo (1.5m) / Kadri (4.5m)/ Bracco (842k)
Grundstrom (925k) / Gauthier (675k) / Engvall (925k)
Brooks (759k)

Reilly (5.om) / Tanev (4.45m)
Gardiner (6.25) / Manson (4.1m)
Dermott (863k) / Zaitsev (4.5m)
Borgman (925k)

Anderson (5.0)
Sparks (1.0)

Love that team. Even if it would be sexier on your NHL 2019 PS4 roster with Nylander and Marleau, the team above would win more games, would be better heading to the playoffs and would still completely light it up offensively, while being much better defensively.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Some good thoughts so far in the thread. That said, I'm much more interested in the Leafs contending in the next 4-5 years than some of you appear to be, given that there doesn't seem to be any desire from most to fix Toronto's glaring weakness, the defense. Specifically, with a couple defensemen that bring difference attributes to the table than what we currently have on the roster and in the system... So here we go...

William Nylander + Connor Brown to Anaheim for Josh Manson and their 1st round pick.
Timothy Liljegren + Anaheim's 1st round pick to Vancouver for Chris Tanev and a prospect.
Patrick Marleau to anyone he'll wave for, for whatever Toronto can get. Necessary cap dump.

Bridge Kasperi Kapanen for 2-3 years.
Sign Jakub Silfverberg.
Draft defensemen in the 1st and 2nd round to replace Liljegren in the system.

2019 Toronto Maple Leafs

Kapanen (3.0m) / Matthews (11.5m) / Silfverberg (4.25m)
Hyman (2.25m) / Tavares (11.0m) / Marner (8.0m)
Leivo (1.5m) / Kadri (4.5m)/ Bracco (842k)
Grundstrom (925k) / Gauthier (675k) / Engvall (925k)
Brooks (759k)

Reilly (5.om) / Tanev (4.45m)
Gardiner (6.25) / Manson (4.1m)
Dermott (863k) / Zaitsev (4.5m)
Borgman (925k)

Anderson (5.0)
Sparks (1.0)

Love that team. Even if it would be sexier on your NHL 2019 PS4 roster with Nylander and Marleau, the team above would win more games, would be better heading to the playoffs and would still completely light it up offensively, while being much better defensively.

I don't see Anaheim doing the 1st deal.
2nd deal is bad for the Leafs.
Can't see any incentive for Marleau to want to leave at this point.

Reactions: Diamond Joe Quimby

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Matthews is 11M for sure, gets the 8 years at 11M just like Tavares got (We're getting an extra year of term but RFA vs UFA).

Nylander definitely fits the bill at 6.5M, that's what he's worth.

Marner is tough, I have been using $7.5M as the cap hit for him. Tarasenko money basically.

I don't think a scenario exists where Matthews only gets 11, personally. McDavid is the bench mark.

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
Why are you paying Leivo money? he is currently doing NOTHING which isn't a surprise at this point
We need a cheap 2nd line replacement for Marleau, that's why I'm paying him.
As for why I'm trading Andersson for picks... his 5M cap-space is an important asset and if gotten rid of, allows the Leafs to upgrade from Gardiner to Karlsson, more can be done with his money than what his average starting goaltender save percentage provides to the team. Also goalies aren't worth that much.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
We need a cheap 2nd line replacement for Marleau, that's why I'm paying him.
As for why I'm trading Andersson for picks... his 5M cap-space is an important asset and if gotten rid of, allows the Leafs to upgrade from Gardiner to Karlsson, more can be done with his money than what his average starting goaltender save percentage provides to the team. Also goalies aren't worth that much.

So who are you replacing Andersen with? because you have to replace him and it can't be Sparks

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
So who are you replacing Andersen with? because you have to replace him and it can't be Sparks
*straight face* With Sparks/Pickard 1A/1B situation. Whoever earns the job earns the job. If they both suck during the regular season, we just give up some relatively small assets for a 1B goaltender like James Reimer (that's in the 1M to 2M range) to start games.

Karlsson + Sparks|Pickard (probably average save % between the two of them, haven't proven anything in the playoffs) > Gardiner + Andersson (marginally above average save % who hasn't proven anything in the playoffs)

We'll have Matthews, Tavares, Kadri, Marner, Nylander, Rielly, and Karlsson on the same team. You simply cannot build a better team in the cap era.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
*straight face* With Sparks/Pickard 1A/1B situation. Whoever earns the job earns the job. If they both suck during the regular season, we just give up some relatively small assets for a 1B goaltender like James Reimer (that's in the 1M to 2M range) to start games.

Karlsson + Sparks|Pickard (probably average save % between the two of them, haven't proven anything in the playoffs) > Gardiner + Andersson (marginally above average save % who hasn't proven anything in the playoffs)

We'll have Matthews, Tavares, Kadri, Marner, Nylander, Rielly, and Karlsson on the same team. You simply cannot build a better team in the cap era.

Pickard isn't a Leaf, Sparks isn't a starter,nor is he a real NHL backup at this point and you should be ashamed of yourself for even suggesting Reimer, Reimer is soft he gets hurt if you breath on him wrong .

Reimer has no guts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad