Post-Game Talk: You can't fire me, I quit. Pens - 1, It's a Tarp - 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
I've long hinted that Megna may lack hockey sense, and it's becoming pretty obvious now. It's not shocking given where he came from to be a pro. He looks much worse this season than last. He was carrying the puck and making things happen last season, going to the net and being a pest, etc.

Rust has shown good finishing ability in the A, but he's made a huge leap up in competition in a short period of time. He has pretty much been projected as a third liner since he was drafted though. It's kind of silly for us to expect him to have an impact with Crosby.

Crosby and Malkin should be playing together, but why they aren't is baffling me as well.
Yeah, but Johnston just keeps on throwing him out there with Sid. Does he expect that impact, or what? It´s truly shocking. That chance that Rust missed last night in the 2nd period was absolutely ridiculous, though. Even an AHLer should be able to hit the wide-open net from a position like that.

Megna is not even worth a discussion for me at this point. Guy is as terrible as it gets. The sooner he´s gone, the better. Just a huge liability on the ice.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
[NHL]712092&catid=829[/NHL]

Johnston somewhat called out the refs there. Has he done that before?

IIRC, he seemed really cautious in regards to that when the knee-on-knee happened to Malkin, or when the Penguins didn't get any PP opportunities.

And boy, is he unhappy with their effort.

MJ can be unhappy, but he can't turn AHL players into NHL players, its not like those players aren't trying hard enough, its just that they aren't any good.

Hophog

Aug 7, 2006
Hershey, PA
not that i can recall. i think he is reaching a breaking point in terms of ref shenanigans. it seems like every game there is some egregious miss call or wrong call he is slowly upping the anger in the post-game scrum (the refs did a good job -> we just need to work harder for penalties -> i'll need to rewatch the hit but it seemed okay from the bench -> the league will probably look into the helmet thing -> wtf there obviously was suppose to be an instigator penalty -> -> -> **** this **** (projected future scrum))

I did like that he didn't let them off the hook. I thought he was really starting to ramp it up into getting a fine and then he caught himself and said "the refs have to call what they see" almost in an appologetic tone as though he was about to let them off the hook by saying they have a hard job... blah.... blah... blah but he didn't he just stopped there. I like how he left it as an indictment of the refs with having to call what they see. They obviously saw Tootoo instigate the fight and they obviously didn't call it so I'm not sure how they are going to explain letting that one go. Assuming the refs have any accountability and have to bother answering anyquestions which is assuming a lot, I know.

BronzeSpruce

Mar 14, 2011
Is anyone else kinda pissed we traded Neal over Letang?

What do we need, top 6 wingers.

What do we have, DMAN!

Yea let's trade a cost controlled youngish top 6 for a slightly older top 6. Throw a bum in there too for good measure.

Despres, Maatta, Pouliot makes Letang expendable.

Rust, Farnham, Sill, injury prone Bennett, Uher made Neal not as expendable.

Nei1ey*

Is anyone else kinda pissed we traded Neal over Letang?

What do we need, top 6 wingers.

What do we have, DMAN!

Yea let's trade a cost controlled youngish top 6 for a slightly older top 6. Throw a bum in there too for good measure.

Despres, Maatta, Pouliot makes Letang expendable.

Rust, Farnham, Sill, injury prone Bennett, Uher made Neal not as expendable.

I would be pissed at losing Neal if Hornqvist didn't become one of my favorite players, him and downie are exactly what these sack of vaginas needed, both fearless players, going hard to the net hard, basically doing whatever it takes to win. JR needs to sign more players like them because now that they're out we can see just how soft this team is, perimeter play after perimeter play. Haven't seen a dirty goal in a while. Reminds of last 2 years of playoff knockouts.

BronzeSpruce

Mar 14, 2011
I would be pissed at losing Neal if Hornqvist didn't become one of my favorite players, him and downie are exactly what these sack of vaginas needed, both fearless players, going hard to the net hard, basically doing whatever it takes to win. JR needs to sign more players like them because now that they're out we can see just how soft this team is, perimeter play after perimeter play. Haven't seen a dirty goal in a while. Reminds of last 2 years of playoff knockouts.

I'm a fan of Hornqvist as well. But mainly my point being we would be better off with a Hornqvist and Neal. We probably wouldn't miss Letang that much with Despres, Maatta and Pouliot.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Yeah, but Johnston just keeps on throwing him out there with Sid. Does he expect that impact, or what? It´s truly shocking. That chance that Rust missed last night in the 2nd period was absolutely ridiculous, though. Even an AHLer should be able to hit the wide-open net from a position like that.

Megna is not even worth a discussion for me at this point. Guy is as terrible as it gets. The sooner he´s gone, the better. Just a huge liability on the ice.

I've seen Malkin and Crosby miss easier shots than that and they are the best in the world. It happens.

Rust is a third liner and was basically drafted as such. We shouldn't be shocked he looks out of place playing on the top line with less than a dozen games of NHL experience.

Why is he being put out there? Who else is left? At least he has some skill.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
not sill... i'm worried he hasn't lost his spot

why would downie be out with injured players, you either have the mumps or not right?

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Am I wrong in giving Rust some credit for 87's goal yesterday? His drive to the net seemed to in part be the reason why Schneider made it so easy.

Or I'm remembering the sequence wrong.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
not sill... i'm worried he hasn't lost his spot

why would downie be out with injured players, you either have the mumps or not right?

clearly he no longer has the mumps and is just getting some work on the ice since he hasn't skated in a week

Fordy

May 28, 2008
well i don't think the chris kunitz leadership group would have so i guess i just assume no one else would

so are we getting downie and bennett for wednesday or not

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Somebody wake Rutherford up from his nap. Somebody should go check on him in his office. He's been sleeping since he got hired in June.

We haven't heard boo from this guy in awhile.

I know no GM wants to show their hand, but it'd be nice to hear that he's actively exploring options to address this **** show of wingers.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
We haven't heard boo from this guy in awhile.

I know no GM wants to show their hand, but it'd be nice to hear that he's actively exploring options to address this **** show of wingers.

He was quoted in an article last month saying guys are playing above their proper roles, we need more than one top 6 winger, and he's holding out as long as possible so he can land a longterm solution as they become available with teams falling out of the playoff race.

What else would you like him to say?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
He was quoted in an article last month saying guys are playing above their proper roles, we need more than one top 6 winger, and he's holding out as long as possible so he can land a longterm solution as they become available with teams falling out of the playoff race.

What else would you like him to say?

We can't simply hold out for the perfect long-term solution at this point. It's necessary before the deadline, of course, but we're decimated right now and our scoring wingers sucked to begin with.

The big roster is filled with AHL-calibre wingers. JR needs to be looking for some NHLers to plug the leaky dike here.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I'm with mpp9 and JR. It's more important for JR to find a long-term solution than to do something, anything to get Spalings and Rusts out of the top 6 so as to win a few more throwaways in January. I don't really give a fig if the Penguins finish 1st or 8th in the East this year.

Hell, if they finish 10th, but add pieces that will help in the long term, I probably wouldn't be upset.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I'm a fan of Hornqvist as well. But mainly my point being we would be better off with a Hornqvist and Neal. We probably wouldn't miss Letang that much with Despres, Maatta and Pouliot.

It was tunnel vision... we locked into the prime type of guy we wanted and were going to give up anything to get him. Hornqvist is not the talent Neal is, but maybe a better liked player, if you get me. We only win that trade if spaling is better than he is. in every other case we more or less lose it from a talent standpoint. yes we should have moved a defenseman for a winger. yes every day that passes it shows the contempt this org really has for elite wingers. its absurd...

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Hornqvist will look awesome as the 3rd/4th winger on this team. Right now he's the 1st or 2nd with an overachieving Comeau and Kunitz playing like ***. He'll play a key role once all this top 6 winger mess is sorted out and especially on the PP.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
Hornqvist will look awesome as the 3rd/4th winger on this team. Right now he's the 1st or 2nd with an overachieving Comeau and Kunitz playing like ***. He'll play a key role once all this top 6 winger mess is sorted out and especially on the PP.
Appreciate your confidence, but a series of deals to get two wingers better than hornqvist seems unbelievably unlikely.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'm with mpp9 and JR. It's more important for JR to find a long-term solution than to do something, anything to get Spalings and Rusts out of the top 6 so as to win a few more throwaways in January. I don't really give a fig if the Penguins finish 1st or 8th in the East this year.

Hell, if they finish 10th, but add pieces that will help in the long term, I probably wouldn't be upset.

Yeah I'll take one stud longterm solution at this point over multiple guys who may help this year but due to age or contract status, are gambles beyond that.

If we can get Sid a guy who can help him dictate the flow of play without Malkin on the line and keep our current depth chart at forward, I think we'll have as good of a chance as any year since 09 to go on a deep postseason run.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Appreciate your confidence, but a series of deals to get two wingers better than hornqvist seems unbelievably unlikely.

We need a guy who can drive possession with Sid. PH as a third wheel with those two would be absolute money.

Then throw a couple guys with Malkin who can get him the puck and work the boards. Comeau and a rental or possibly Kunitz if he finds a second wind later in the season.

Round out the bottom six with Downie-Sutter-Beau and Spaling-Goc and whomever is playing well at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->