You can be proud, Jackets fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
The team was definitely quite impressive for much of the series, but as for the fan base I must say it's the big reason that still makes it hard to feel too much sympathy for Columbus. Where were all those people during the regular season? Only in Phoenix and Dallas are there as many empty seats. Please come again.

If you knew a single thing about the history of this franchise and why there are so many empty seats, you'd definitely feel sympathy. Google is your friend. Start with "Doug MacLean"

CBJ Tiffin

Jan 2, 2011
Columbus fans, you used to have a fan from eastern Europe-mvk something I think who used to sometimes post on the Sens board too as she was a big Filatov fan. I haven't seen her around for awhile and I would have expected her to be posting a lot on this playoff run.
Does anyone know what happened to her and why after being a fan all these years she disappeared just as the jackets had some success.

Her forum name is mt-svk, and she last posted on or about March 5, 2014. No idea why she hasn't been around much lately.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Don't know whether you guys are at the point where backslapping posts are appreciated or whether they're just cloying...but still...i was really impressed by you this series.

Also, watching the series it's so obvious that there's such a great hockey market in Columbus...so much better than the disrespect you sometimes get. I really hope the team continues to do well.

lol, as an aside I was in Columbus not too long ago and it's a really nice city. I'd been to Ohio before - i have relatives who went to Miami and I've been to Cincinnati and Cleveland...but I really, really liked Columbus. I can see how it ends up on the lists of 'most liveable cities in US'.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
After living here for 40 years, I can say that Columbus is a great city and the Jackets are great representatives of this city.

tomtostitos

Jan 6, 2014
Van fan, was rooting for you guys this year because out of all the teams in the playoffs this year you guys showed the most heart. A team that works that hard will be rewarded sooner rather than later!

muleskinner2013

Oct 17, 2013
All of you fans from other teams spending a few moments on here to tip your caps to us and our team's play this year is just fantastic. Fans like you are what makes the NHL great.

spaceboy

was saying boo-urns
Mar 11, 2014
Ottawa
Hawks fan here. Great series, your boys impressed the hell out of me. I always believed in Ohio as a great hockey market, and you guys certainly showed everyone that you are during this series. Congrats on a great season and best of luck, you have a lot to look forward to :nod:

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
I was there tonight in section 118, game six…

As a day one CBJ fan and long time NHL fan… down 4-0 with eight minutes to go and at three minutes to go it’s 4-3 was out standing.…

The Jackets had a great chance to win but in the end it was never to be…. The CBJ are still a tad talent shy...

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
At least we have a designated thread for all the pity and sympathy now.

Thanks, all, though.

No worries, once the Jackets keep this up there will be no more of this. Columbus will be hated, instead of cheered on. Laughed at for losing instead of the condolences. Reminds me of all of the people wishing the Pirates luck and giving their congrats/sympathy after the playoffs ended. Being bad for so long, not many rivalries or hatred.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
No worries, once the Jackets keep this up there will be no more of this. Columbus will be hated, instead of cheered on. Laughed at for losing instead of the condolences. Reminds me of all of the people wishing the Pirates luck and giving their congrats/sympathy after the playoffs ended. Being bad for so long, not many rivalries or hatred.

Agree... I'd take hate over pity any day....

That said, thank you too all... the Jackets did wow this series... Pitt is not as good as many think..

QTMcWhiskers

Playoff Avatar Stays
Jun 22, 2006
Columbus, OH
100options.bandcamp.com
This may be a long story, but whiskey and my pride will make that happen:

I have been a fan of hockey as long as I can remember living in Dayton, OH until my family moved to Columbus in 1996. My dad played in some rec leagues at the rink down the street from us in Dayton and I had the pleasure of learning the game in some stick-and-puck classes that my parents scrounged the money for when I was a kid. My first memorable NHL playoff experience was 1993 where I *GUARANTEE* I watched every televised playoff game as Montreal beat the LA Kings 4-1 in an incredible playoff series. It made me fall in love with sports. I played "Ice Hockey" on the NES as a kid and remembered my best friend getting NHL '94 on the Super Nintendo when I was 9 years old with all the real players, teams, and arguable stats. We would always play as the Detroit Red Wings and cheered for them as kids, enjoying the Cup wins in '96 and '97 and getting giddy over Columbus getting a team when it was announced shortly after the back-to-back cups.

My family was new to Columbus, and to see the west side of the business district (now the "Arena District") transform from a cesspool to a vibrant, respectable part of the city has been amazing. I was at the CBJ's very first game; a preseason affair against the Red Wings, which the CBJ won 4-3 on a chilly September 2000 evening. It marks the last time I ever wore my Red Wings jersey, and fell in love with the team; I psychologically threw it down as quick as the CBJ faithful threw beer bottles on the ice as Tyler Wright was beating the snot out of some Red Wing punk. I was hooked.

I would attend games as much as my parents would respond to my requests. That first CBJ game ever was my 16th birthday present. The emotional scars are deep with this team. I'm looking in the bedroom of my apartment right now where my "Go JACKETS. I Was There October 7, 2000 vs Chicago Blackhawks" sign is hanging between the 2008-09 team poster of our first playoff team and the "FIRE HOWSON" sign I made shortly after Howson publicly announced Nash asked for a trade where I was chased around the upper bowl by security at the next home game.

I successfully predicted the series to end up "Penguins in 6" with a sense of blind optimism, but am saddened to see my prediction come true. This team is better than this; they will become better than this. The CBJ have gotten the monkey off their back by winning their first playoff game, and their first playoff game in their own building. We have the NHL (and Canada's?) respect. The next step for this team - no, this city's next step - is to change that respect into hatred for when the CBJ become a force to be reckoned with. I've been so tired of the "college town" moniker from the locals, out-of-towners, and hockey fanatics. I hope that this series has changed their minds. I hope that this series has changed the casual fan living in Columbus' minds. Columbus is a *VERY* passionate sports town, and it makes me very proud that the sporting faithful have come out, expressed their love for this city and team, broken a sound system, and continue to express themselves, because as a fan from the beginning that won my love so much to become a season ticket holder for eight years, and has been through so many low points, criticism, insults, and relocation BS, I have never been so proud of the organization and the crest they put on every day.

For all of you who post here and are fans of the CBJ past, present, and future, regardless of dissent over the years, I love you all. I'll see you in Section 206 next year. Go Jackets.

Last edited:

wsoxfan1214

May 1, 2011
Hawks fan here. I'm just glad we got you guys out of our division in time. ;P

Congrats on a great series. Was pulling for you guys. You're going to have a hell of a team VERY soon. Was hoping you guys would win the series, but you'll get there sooner rather than later. Your young guys showed a ton of heart. Great thing to have when building a team.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
The fans deserved better. Success was at times just a fingertip away but somehow fleeting.

And for fans like McWhiskers, another step taken on the walk up to the top of the mountain. I've been there myself and the view is that much more beautiful the longer it takes to get up there (Devils fan since '88). And from one Daytonian Hockey Nut to another. ;)

Congrats on a great showing CBJ fans.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
The fans deserved better. Success was at times just a fingertip away but somehow fleeting.

And for fans like McWhiskers, another step taken on the walk up to the top of the mountain. I've been there myself and the view is that much more beautiful the longer it takes to get up there (Devils fan since '88). And from one Daytonian Hockey Nut to another. ;)

Congrats on a great showing CBJ fans.

Thanks:handclap: I put a deposit on my CBJ Inaugural Season Tickets before my daughter was born. She gets her driver's permit next month. It's been a long climb up that I wouldn't wish on any sports fan. However, CBJ fans savored every moment of this year's playoffs. I don't think fans of teams like Dallas, Colorado or Carolina get it. They inherited Playoff teams from other cities. Every step of the way for CBJ was earned the hard way and each new milestone will be appreciated immensely.

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
Her forum name is mt-svk, and she last posted on or about March 5, 2014. No idea why she hasn't been around much lately.

She messaged me to say congrats before the playoffs began this year. Eva is still a big fan, but doesn't post because she is no longer able to actually watch the games. She keeps up with ter team via written accounts, but cant watch the game herself to form her own opions and insights. If you followed her posts, she is a passionate person and feels like if she can't actually watch the games, she'd be posting "just to post" in this case. So, yes, I miss her fiesty presence here, too, but that's the situation right now. I will certainly let her know folks from both the CBJ and Sens boards are asking about her.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
She messaged me to say congrats before the playoffs began this year. Eva is still a big fan, but doesn't post because she is no longer able to actually watch the games. She keeps up with ter team via written accounts, but cant watch the game herself to form her own opions and insights. If you followed her posts, she is a passionate person and feels like if she can't actually watch the games, she'd be posting "just to post" in this case. So, yes, I miss her fiesty presence here, too, but that's the situation right now. I will certainly let her know folks from both the CBJ and Sens boards are asking about her.

Please do, Derby, and send best wishes from all to her and Julka. She really would have enjoyed watching this team!

major major

Feb 18, 2013
This playoff run did a lot to recast the image of the Jackets and of Columbus as a hockey town. The intensity of the fan support was brought up several times on TSN just in the last week. The fact that some fans were actually camping out for tickets really stood out, because it doesn't happen anywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad