You are the GM, its 2016, rebuild the roster

DanyHeatley

Dec 6, 2016
It’s 2016 offseason, what would you have done if you were the Sens GM. Go!

Rules:
Has to be realistic and within Cap.
Can only veto recent trades but not make any trades as they won’t be realistic. UFA/RFA signings allowed. Re build the roster by making changes to PDs decisions.

Ygg

Feb 2, 2017
Agree to the trade of Ceci for Taylor Hall.

That pretty much leads us to win the Stanley Cup if everything else stays the same.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Made the Duchene Trade
Kept Phaneuf and Methot (for 2017)
Traded Hoffman for a top 4 defenseman
Sign a top 6 to replace MacArthur
Veto Brassard / Zibanejad trade

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Not realistic because most don't understand that it's impossible to keep those star veterans under Melnyk (contract structure). Melnyk just doesn't want to give contracts that are lockout protected.

Basically, in 2016 you could have went all in like Dorion tried to do acquiring Duchene but he was more a rental expiring at the same time as Karlsson and Dzingel (and eventually Stone). It just didn't work at all. Logically, many thought that it could have because Duchene is a serious upgrade on Turris.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Not realistic because most don't understand that it's impossible to keep those star veterans under Melnyk (contract structure). Melnyk just doesn't want to give contracts that are lockout protected.

Basically, in 2016 you could have went all in like Dorion tried to do acquiring Duchene but he was more a rental expiring at the same time as Karlsson and Dzingel (and eventually Stone). It just didn't work at all. Logically, many thought that it could have because Duchene is a serious upgrade on Turris.

Forgot to address the defense. No replacement for Methot and upgrade on Ceci

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Don't do anything: don't trade Ziba, don't extend our goalies, don't sign Oduya and Nate Thompson. Basically having no GM would have been better than having Dorion.

Reactions: NB613

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Don't do anything: don't trade Ziba, don't extend our goalies, don't sign Oduya and Nate Thompson. Basically having no GM would have been better than having Dorion.

This is the biggest thing.

If Dorion doesn't make any moves the team is better both short and long term.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Forgot to address the defense. No replacement for Methot and upgrade on Ceci

? I wasn’t talking about your post, just what I have been reading in general. I see a lot blaming Dorion for this firesale which is not knowing/understanding what is going on. Dorion has been trying to keep his star veterans but he is only allowed to sign contracts that are not lockout proof.

I would quote your post if I wanted to talk about it. That being said, your original post is exactly what I would have hoped to happen.

- Zibanejad all the way
- trade Turris, Bowers, 1st, 3rd for Duchene
- trade Hoffman for a D-man as soon as the EK-Hoff situation happened.

Only problems with this is :

- Methot was gone through expansion draft : re-acquire him for a 2nd?
- sign a top-6 to replace Mac : who’s the best forward who would have signed with Ottawa (even if almost the SCF)
- keep Phaneuf : yeah would have provided depth and experience as a 5th/6th and insulate young guys with no experience but financially had to trade him at some point.

And you forgot to mention probably the most important : invest in the best coaching staff possible at the first sign of weakness by the Boucher staff.

But all of this takes funds made available by the owner.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

We would definitely be worse short term.

I'd do most of the trades again except obviously for the Karlsson, Stone, Duchene and Dzingel selloffs.

With that core, we're a playoff team.

Reactions: pzeeman

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Is one of the conditions in this hypothetical scenario that Melnyk isn't the owner?

If not, then this kind of seems like we're just moving deck chairs on the Titanic.

Reactions: swiftwin

DanyHeatley

Dec 6, 2016
Keep and resign Zibanejad
Expose Phanuef, protect Methot
Don’t resign Condon
Resign Stalberg, Claesson
Trade Hoffman
Keep Karl, Stone, Duchene, Dzingel

Dzingel - Duchene - Tkachuk
Zibanejad - White - Stone
Stalberg - Pageau - Ryan
Smith - Batherson - Paul

Methot - Karlsson
Chabot - Lajoie
Claesson - Ceci

Anderson
Nilsson

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
I've said it from day one. Don't do the Duchene trade period. Keep turris and move Brassard or Hoffman and get a top 4 dman.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I've said it from day one. Don't do the Duchene trade period. Keep turris and move Brassard or Hoffman and get a top 4 dman.

We would never win a Cup with that core imo... and would have to end up rebuilding anyways.

I do agree with not trading Duchene, except I would’ve traded Turris and started the rest of the sell-offs with that trade.

Bottom out, probably still end up getting Tkachuk but this year we would have Hughes or Kakko (probably) along with all the other prospects we have now. Would be pretty much set!

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Traded Hoffman for Dougie Hamilton after the cup run.

I would accept trading Ziba if it meant keeping Stone, Duchene and EK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad