You Are The GM Fill in the ? _____ needs

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Well I mean what did you think would happen? We are now free game. THANKS A LOT!

Danault no way for a first, and not entirely sold on that exact player, but that’s the tier we should be chasing.

I guess tanev would free up whomever lefty defender he pairs with to be more of a rover. In the long term probably bad news for contract negotiations for provorov and sanheim.
Lol....don't shoot the messenger. I did not start the thread. That was done by someone who wants to move Ghost to forward.

I figured I would pass on the info since some don't venture to the main boards.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The Flyers are going to make moves this offseason just to preserve their revenue stream. Season ticket holders were dumping their ticket for pennies on the dollar last season on stubhub and management just raised ticket prices for next year. Right or wrong the first round pick, as well prospects and players people actually like, are going to be thrown out their in an attempt to make the team better, or if you prefer more marketable. Whether Fletcher can get anybody to bite is the only question.
I'm already on record saying people are seriously overestimating the amount of roster change that's going to happen this summer.

If he wants to make a splash and rope in fans, without doing forcing himself into making a trade, his best move is to hire Quenneville and try to sell the average fan on his playoff resume. Other than that, making a massive (maybe too big) offer for one of Karlsson or Panarin is probably going to happen.

Trading draft picks, prospects, and good roster players, just for the sake of making stupid impatient fans happy, is a great way to f*** this teams future.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I can see why you'd like this mentality, since you love terrible hypothetical trades and can't seem evaluate the value of any pick/prospect/player.

And that last paragraph is especially ridiculous.

But I'm not getting baited. Bye.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Lol, yeah good point. If your scouts aren't thrilled with the draft they should pick someone anyway and not explore other options because taking a player in the draft that you don't think is going to make an impact at the NHL level is a better decision than trying to trade the pick for a player that you think can. That is brilliant management and I am just being a contrarian trying to stir the pot.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I'm already on record saying people are seriously overestimating the amount of roster change that's going to happen this summer.

If he wants to make a splash and rope in fans, without doing forcing himself into making a trade, his best move is to hire Quenneville and try to sell the average fan on his playoff resume. Other than that, making a massive (maybe too big) offer for one of Karlsson or Panarin is probably going to happen.

Trading draft picks, prospects, and good roster players, just for the sake of making stupid impatient fans happy, is a great way to **** this teams future.
I am not debating the merits of doing it but hockey is a gate driven business. The Flyers are an afterthought in the city right now and even if a small percentage of season ticket holders look elsewhere this offseason, it will hurt the team’s bottom line. IMO they are going to try and do something big this offseason and Quenneville alone isn’t going to bring back the amount of fans you think it will. Fans show up for players not coaches.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Do they need to make a splash after adding Hart, Myers and Morin this year, and maybe Frost and Farabee next year?
I mean a good marketing department can roll with those kind of additions.
Of course, that might mean using the word "rebuild," as in "the rebuild is finally finished."

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I am not debating the merits of doing it but hockey is a gate driven business. The Flyers are an afterthought in the city right now and even if a small percentage of season ticket holders look elsewhere this offseason, it will hurt the team’s bottom line. IMO they are going to try and do something big this offseason and Quenneville alone isn’t going to bring back the amount of fans you think it will. Fans show up for players not coaches.
The only thing that will make a difference in fanbase attention is actually winning games, so I assume he realizes that whatever helps the roster is 10000x more important than making a splash and grabbing attention, even if that means a relatively quiet offseason.

If you do a lot and the team doesn't improve, people will quickly lose interest again. But if you do a few small, key, unexciting moves and the team starts winning, THAT is when people come back.

A brand new coaching staff, going after the big fish (successfully or unsuccessfully), and bringing up hyped prospects like Frost and maybe Farabee should cause enough of a buzz to get most people off his ass for a bit. The rest will be about winning.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
The only thing that will make a difference in fanbase attention is actually winning games, so I assume he realizes that whatever helps the roster is 10000x more important than making a splash and grabbing attention, even if that means a relatively quiet offseason.

If you do a lot and the team doesn't improve, people will quickly lose interest again. But if you do a few small, key, unexciting moves and the team starts winning, THAT is when people come back.

A brand new coaching staff, going after the big fish (successfully or unsuccessfully), and bringing up hyped prospects like Frost and maybe Farabee should cause enough of a buzz to get most people off his ass for a bit. The rest will be about winning.
The amount of winning will have to be huge to get back fan interest without a big name player: probably competing for a division and winning a round in the playoffs. Anything short of that and it would be same old same old for average fans. They just can’t sneak into the playoffs again and get smacked out. They would lose more fans if they did that again.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The amount of winning will have to be huge to get back fan interest without a big name player: probably competing for a division and winning a round in the playoffs. Anything short of that and it would be same old same old for average fans. They just can’t sneak into the playoffs again and get smacked out. They would lose more fans if they did that again.
A new coaching staff alone should be able to accomplish that.

As much as everyone complains about the coaching, I think the negative effect they’ve had is still underrated, based on the magnitude of roster moves people want.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
A new coaching staff alone should be able to accomplish that.

As much as everyone complains about the coaching, I think the negative effect they’ve had is still underrated, based on the magnitude of roster moves people want.
Only people here complain about the coach. Average fans complain about the players.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
There is a distinct lack of speed and skill on this team , especially in the top 6. Our top 6 needs a major shakeup, and players such as lindblom, patrick, jvr are not top 6 right now. I want to see a lineup projection where those 3 are not in the top 6 before I get excited about this team.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Only people here complain about the coach. Average fans complain about the players.
That's not really true, but it doesn't really matter.

My point is that when coaching gets fixed to an acceptable level, I think that alone will cause a spike in play that will satisfy both the people on here and the average fan.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
That's not really true, but it doesn't really matter.

My point is that when coaching gets fixed to an acceptable level, I think that alone will cause a spike in play that will satisfy both the people on here and the average fan.
what does acceptable coaching look like to you. What is the breaking point in which you decide it is the coaching that is holding this team back vs the players?

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
That's a weird double standard for hockey, which goes in hand with the lack of interest by the fanbase. In each other sport, there's recently been huge commotion about the head coach.
Kapler last year and his yanking of Nola in the opener and so many subs and relief pitchers, he was booed at his CBP debut, 2nd series into his inaugural season.
The 76ers- Joel Embiid, Ben Simmons, players et al win every single game; however, Brett Brown is exclusively responsible for each and every lost.
Iggles, Only because Doug won a SB in year 2 has he not been tarred and feathered and ran out of town on a rail. His hire was seriously decried. His mentor (Reid), and predecessor (Kelly), were both viciously attacked and hated which was preceded by love.

And then there's hockey, where the coach could walk into a Wawa naked one day at noon, and still be anonymous behind the bench the following week.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
There is a distinct lack of speed and skill on this team , especially in the top 6. Our top 6 needs a major shakeup, and players such as lindblom, patrick, jvr are not top 6 right now. I want to see a lineup projection where those 3 are not in the top 6 before I get excited about this team.
That's not true at all.

Also, of all people to complain about, JVR should be near the bottom of the list. He's been fantastic for a long time now.

Since new years...
3c604268b42c18154e2bc8c6df91a0b6.png

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
what does acceptable coaching look like to you. What is the breaking point in which you decide it is the coaching that is holding this team back vs the players?
When it becomes clear that the coaching is negatively impacting the individual players effectiveness, which is what impacts team effectiveness. It's the players fault when their lacking play can't be blamed on the coach.

For example, Girouxs production is currently being held back by the PP setup. That's coaching being a detriment. Who knows how many more games we'd have won this year if Giroux had his normal PP production... how many one goal losses did we have that could have ended up as wins instead, or even OTLs?

The opposite would be Simmonds. His poor play was completely his own fault, not the coaches.

My expectations aren't even high, I'm not expecting a coach who comes in and provides positive value. All I want is a coach who doesn't get in the way and consistently hold the players back.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Evolving-Hockey JVR ranked 335th in GAR this season for forwards with over 300 minutes. That places him right around 11th best forward on the team.

If any number tells you that someone pacing for 34 goals has 334 players better than him or is the 11th best forward on the team, it either isn't a useful statistic, it's missing vital context, or it's being used wrong.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
If any number tells you that someone pacing for 34 goals has 334 players better than him or is the 11th best forward on the team, it either isn't a useful statistic, it's missing vital context, or it's being used wrong.
this is the same statistic that singled out claude giroux as the single best player in hockey last season. A statement you and I would agree with.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
this is the same statistic that singled out claude giroux as the single best player in hockey last season. A statement you and I would agree with.
I've never used any advanced statistic to judge any player on this team, whether it's someone I like or not.

I judged Giroux last year the same way I judged JVR this year. Watching them on the ice, considering context, and looking at the tangible results.

If a statistic agrees with me, fine. If not, oh well. It doesn't make me value it any more or less.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'll cut JVR some slack b/c his injury slowed him down, he's skating much better the last couple months. And he was jacked around trying to find a good fit. But the forward group does lack speed, which is why Hextall drafted Frost and O'Brien and Farabee. Fast guys seem to arrive faster than smart, physical forwards who have to learn the nuances of the league.

However, people get impatient with young players, Patrick and Lindblom have a lot of upside, and could break out with the right RW. TK is still a work in progress, he's not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree and needs hard coaching, but the talent is there.

Same with the defensemen, they're frustrating because they make too many mistakes and struggle in the D-zone at times, but we're talking a bunch of guys 22-23 years old. Give them a couple seasons to grow into their roles.

The coaching hasn't been the problem - lack of talent, especially forward depth and experienced defensemen, and bad goaltending has been the problem.
Coaches don't perform miracles, they have to have enough talent to mold.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
That's a weird double standard for hockey, which goes in hand with the lack of interest by the fanbase. In each other sport, there's recently been huge commotion about the head coach.
Kapler last year and his yanking of Nola in the opener and so many subs and relief pitchers, he was booed at his CBP debut, 2nd series into his inaugural season.
The 76ers- Joel Embiid, Ben Simmons, players et al win every single game; however, Brett Brown is exclusively responsible for each and every lost.
Iggles, Only because Doug won a SB in year 2 has he not been tarred and feathered and ran out of town on a rail. His hire was seriously decried. His mentor (Reid), and predecessor (Kelly), were both viciously attacked and hated which was preceded by love.

And then there's hockey, where the coach could walk into a Wawa naked one day at noon, and still be anonymous behind the bench the following week.
It’s the perception of the players on the team. The Phillies and Sixers are loaded with new stars so blame falls first on the coach. Giroux and Couturier have been in Philly for 8 years and have gone thru 4 coaches. The blame eventually falls on the players.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I've never used any advanced statistic to judge any player on this team, whether it's someone I like or not.

I judged Giroux last year the same way I judged JVR this year. Watching them on the ice, considering context, and looking at the tangible results.

If a statistic agrees with me, fine. If not, oh well. It doesn't make me value it any more or less.
THese type of statistics go a long way in showing how important two way play is. A player like coots will never get his due from raw point totals, but with advanced stats we can see just how dominate he really is. Coots finished 2nd in Gar last year and is the 8th best forward this year. As great as JVR may be at one of the ice, his poor play at the other end cancels out all the good he does.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
THese type of statistics go a long way in showing how important two way play is. A player like coots will never get his due from raw point totals, but with advanced stats we can see just how dominate he really is. Coots finished 2nd in Gar last year and is the 8th best forward this year. As great as JVR may be at one of the ice, his poor play at the other end cancels out all the good he does.
There’s no way JVR has been bad enough defensively to negate 20+ goals since New Years.

Reactions: Tripod

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad