You are GM please fill in the blank

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
if they can unload Streit, I'm warming to a move for Ladd. He's really the only guy out there at UFA that can reasonably sure up our top six.

Schenn - Giroux - Simmonds
Ladd - Couturier - Voracek
Raffl - Bozak - Konecny
Bellemare - Laughton/Cousins - Read

MDZ - Gudas
MacDonald - Gostisbehere
Provorov - Schultz

I haven't run the cap, but if Bozak only costs Umberger + pick, moving Streit should provide close to enough space for Ladd as long as Lecavalier retires.

Obviously, I don't expect this to happen, but if you are going to lean on the young D, you might as well give them the best possible forward lineup.

46zone

Pass me the soft pretzels
Feb 5, 2007
Philadelphia
if they can unload Streit, I'm warming to a move for Ladd. He's really the only guy out there at UFA that can reasonably sure up our top six.

Raffl - Bozak - Konecny

MDZ - Gudas
MacDonald - Gostisbehere
Provorov - Schultz

I haven't run the cap, but if Bozak only costs Umberger + pick, moving Streit should provide close to enough space for Ladd as long as Lecavalier retires.

Obviously, I don't expect this to happen, but if you are going to lean on the young D, you might as well give them the best possible forward lineup.

I like this, but I'd like Read moved as well. Laughton - Cousins - Bellemare would be a nice 4th line.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013

Raffl - Bozak - Konecny

MDZ - Gudas
MacDonald - Gostisbehere
Provorov - Schultz

Is that like 10+ million for two guys? Top 6 isn't the problem. Rather get a 3C/4C in UFA. Can fix the bottom six much more cheaply.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It would be interesting to see Bellemare not be the only decent skater on his line and not have to do most of the defensive work.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Is that like 10+ million for two guys? Top 6 isn't the problem. Rather get a 3C/4C in UFA. Can fix the bottom six much more cheaply.

Umberger offsets Bozak, so the only add in cap is Ladd.

I disagree that our top six is good enough right now. Offensively, they are a one-line team that leans too heavily on the PP.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Umberger offsets Bozak, so the only add in cap is Ladd.

I disagree that our top six is good enough right now. Offensively, they are a one-line team that leans too heavily on the PP.

It's a two line team offensively. The top two lines match up pretty well to most contending teams in offensive production. The bottom six is a disaster and fixing it is the most pressing need. Ladd would be a luxury.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
When our pick was #10 I said I would trade it for Drouin...lottery protected. And looking now, it would have been a good move. But yeah, that ship has sailed.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
4th and 3rd line retools needs to be the forcus. Now how they do that can be a million different ways.

Get a 3c and let cousins center 4th line and sign another winger to play with him and peb
Get a 2lw and make a line or raffl Laughton and cousins, peb read and Leier
Add konecky and make something with Laughton cousins Leier read konecky and peb

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
It would be interesting to see Bellemare not be the only decent skater on his line and not have to do most of the defensive work.

Bellemare is exactly what you want for a fourth liner. Good skater, plenty of effort, cheap and effective. White less so and VDV further less so.

I'd like to see us focus on that fourth line in the summer. Demote one or both of Raffl and Read to there makes it an expensive but effective grinding line that can hold its own defensively.

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
Bellemare is exactly what you want for a fourth liner. Good skater, plenty of effort, cheap and effective. White less so and VDV further less so.

I'd like to see us focus on that fourth line in the summer. Demote one or both of Raffl and Read to there makes it an expensive but effective grinding line that can hold its own defensively.

Yep, bring in a FA Forward for the top six if we can afford it next season.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
As painful as it would be, the best thing for the franchise is to continue what Hextall has been doing (sign bargain basement veterans, acquiring picks, drafting and developing) for another two seasons. There isn't any one player that can turn this team around next season. And in 2017-2018, there will probably be a large influx of prospect talent that that team will look completely different than this one.

The summer of 2018 will be the time for a big piece, like Hossa and Richards were Chicago and LA. By then the prospect pool should be pretty full that parting with a few pieces won't hurt the pipeline. The Flyers will remain on the bubble for two more seasons but doing anything too early could tie up capspace or hurt the pipeline.

By the summer of 2018:
1. Only bad contract left on the books will be MacDonalds with two years to go.
2. Prospects with 1 year or more of professional hockey in the AHL or NHL by then: Morin, Sanheim, Provorov, Konecny, NAK, Lindblom, Leier, Fazleev, Myers, Willcox, Hagg, and probably Friedman.
3. Prospects entering their 1st year of professional hockey that summer in the AHL or NHL: any junior players picked in the 2016 NHL draft and probably Marody

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
We need size, speed, depth. Sign Backes

Schenn -- Giroux -- Simmonds
Raffl -- Backes -- Voracek
Laughton -- Couturier -- Konecny
White -- Cousins -- Bellemare

Del Zotto -- Gudas
Provorov -- Gostisbehere
Schultz -- Streit

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
We need size, speed, depth. Sign Backes

Schenn -- Giroux -- Simmonds
Raffl -- Backes -- Voracek
Laughton -- Couturier -- Konecny
White -- Cousins -- Bellemare

Del Zotto -- Gudas
Provorov -- Gostisbehere
Schultz -- Streit

Krazy, your not so crazy I like it. Except I would let white walk and work that 3rd pairing

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Backes will be too expensive and just plays that style that does not age well. If his price is fair, he will stay in St Louis.

And White can not be in any line up going forward, we need size or speed, he brings neither. Sames applies to VV

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
Krazy, your not so crazy I like it. Except I would let white walk and work that 3rd pairing

In all honesty if I could make D pairings out of every D man we have this is what I would do.

Del Zotto -- Gostisbehere
Morin -- Streit
Provorov -- Gudas

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
Backes will be too expensive and just plays that style that does not age well. If his price is fair, he will stay in St Louis.

And White can not be in any line up going forward, we need size or speed, he brings neither. Sames applies to VV

How do you feel about Boyle short term i.e. 2 years max. Not sure his contract but always like him

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
In all honesty if I could make D pairings out of every D man we have this is what I would do.

Del Zotto -- Gostisbehere
Morin -- Streit
Provorov -- Gudas

Not sure morin is quite ready and I would have Shultz over streit. And I'm really not hating AMAC lately

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Not sure morin is quite ready and I would have Shultz over streit. And I'm really not hating AMAC lately
Streit is probably going to be with the Flyers for a while. Which team wants his cap hit for the play that he has to offer at this time. Some would say that the drop off is injury related; other would say age. The money probably keeps AMac in town as well. Perhaps Hexy can find a taker for Schultz. My guess would be that breaking camp in the fall, the defensemen will be
MDZ Ghost
AMac Streit
Provorov Gudas
Alt
With Morin staying in the minors until Streit can be dealt or someone goes down with an injury.

With the emergence of Gudas, if he can be signed to a reasonable contract, it wouldn't surprise me to see him be the veteran that is used to anchor the young defense of the Flyers for the future. Breaking camp in '18 it could well be Ghost-Gudas; AMac-Provorv; Morin-Sanheim with Alt or Hagg. MDZ might be the kind of chip that Hextall has to give up in order to get the help up front that the team needs.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad