Yoteshot's Top 45 mock, short version

yoteshot

Lazy Habs fan
Aug 6, 2005
Gatineau / Ottawa
Alright, so this year, with the Habs picking at 39 and 45, I thought I'd continue the mock until the latter pick. This is only an abridged version of the full text as the long version, which is 8 700 words, was drafted in French and I won't have time to translate it this year. I will be posting it on RDS.ca (french TSN) in a few days (maybe after Bob McKenzie's rankings), so if anyone likes, I'll give you the link right here.

These are just the picks. I might get some flack for some picks, but I wanted to get a bit away from the consensus at some spots. Also, since there are no write-ups in this version, you won't see the explanation/defence I had for some more controversial picks. Hopefully you guys still enjoy it, I did put a lot of time in there.

Comments are very welcomed.

1. Toronto – Auston Matthews – C

2. Winnipeg – Patrik Laine – RW

3. Columbus – Jesse Puljujarvi – RW

4. Edmonton – Matthew Tkachuk – LW

5. Vancouver – Pierre-Luc Dubois – C/LW

6. Calgary – Logan Brown – C

7. Arizona – Olli Juolevi – D

8. Buffalo – Jakob Chychrun – D

9. Montreal – Jake Bean – D

10. Colorado – Mikhail Sergachev – D

11. New Jersey – Clayton Keller – C/LW

12. Ottawa – Alexander Nylander – LW/RW

13. Carolina – Tyson Jost – C/RW

14. Boston – Dante Fabbro - D

15. Minnesota – Kieffer Bellows – C

16. Detroit – Charlie McAvoy – D

17. Nashville – Michael McLeod - LW

18. Philadelphia – Luke Kunin – C/RW

19. Islanders – German Rubtsov - C

20. Coyotes (NYR) – Max Jones - LW

21. Carolina (LA) – Julien Gauthier - RW

22. Winnipeg (CHI) – Cam Dineen - D

23. Florida – Dennis Cholowski - D

24. Anaheim – Brett Howden - C

25. Dallas – Pascal Laberge – C/RW

26. Capitals – Rasmus Asplund - C

27. Tampa Bay – Will Bitten – C/RW

28. St-Louis – Riley Tufte - LW

29. Boston (SJ) – Jonathan Dahlen – C/LW

30. Toronto (PIT) – Markus Niemelainen - D

31. Toronto – Tyler Parsons - G

32. Edmonton – Adam Fox - D

33. Floride (VAN) – Alex DeBrincat – LW/RW

34. Columbus – Kale Clague - D

35. Calgary – Vitali Abramov – LW/RW

36. Winnipeg – Lucas Johansen - D

37. Arizona – Tage Thompson – C/RW

38. Buffalo – Samuel Girard - D

39. Montreal – Cameron Morrison - LW

40. Colorado – Tyler Benson - LW

41. New Jersey – Taylor Raddysh - RW

42. Ottawa – Sam Steel – C/RW

43. Carolina – Nathan Bastian - RW

44. Tampa Bay (BOS) – Libor Hajek - D

45. Montreal – Ryan Lindgren - D

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
I like the second round for the Habs, but the first round makes me ..........and i don't think it's that unrealistic......:(

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Its okay from a Sens POV.
Nylander in the first is great.
Personally dont like Steele there.. would rather a defenceman like Hajek or Moverare

yoteshot

Lazy Habs fan
Aug 6, 2005
Gatineau / Ottawa
Its okay from a Sens POV.
Nylander in the first is great.
Personally dont like Steele there.. would rather a defenceman like Hajek or Moverare

Had Hajek there for a while and Stanley for TB after. I just felt like Steel was a typical Sens pick. Not the sexiest pick for sure, but I see some Cody Eakin in him.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Sens would be happy with Nylander for sure.

Don't see Jost falling to 13; Don't think the Habs take Bean although he is a good prospect.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Parsons as the first goalie picked in the draft would be surprising but I'd be fine with that I think.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Like it from a Tampa perspective. Like Tufte a bit more than Bitten but Yzerman likely goes with the CHL player.

yoteshot

Lazy Habs fan
Aug 6, 2005
Gatineau / Ottawa
Like it from a Tampa perspective. Like Tufte a bit more than Bitten but Yzerman likely goes with the CHL player.

That was my thought process as well, had Tufte in the beginning then saw SY's tendencies

Parsons as the first goalie picked in the draft would be surprising but I'd be fine with that I think.

My top goalie is Gustavsson, Hart could also be considered I guess... but with the whole London/Leafs connection, I leaned towards Parsons. Then I saw this comment from Mark Hunter : “Everybody worries about how they look in net, but a guy like Jonathan Quick — he stops pucks,†said Hunter. “He doesn’t look beautiful in the net; he just gets the job done. That’s a lot of will. You never want to get away from the will of the goaltender. They seem to want to get better and to play in key games.†That screamed Parsons to me.

Dineen at 22 is too early imo.

I think it is early too, not many POD in the range and I like him way more than Clague. Fox could be an option I guess, but haven't seen him in the first round anywhere. You could flip Johansen and Dineen if you think it'd look better haha.

I see NJD choosing players like Steel, Cholowski or Kuokkanen at 41 over Raddysh.

Doubt Cholowski is there, he had 29 interviews, I think he goes in the first, just too much potential. I guess Steel is an option, I just think Raddysh is pretty much BPA at 41. They could really go any way for sure, though.

KyGuy9

Sep 7, 2012
IMO I don't think Toronto is going to take Niemelainen and Parsons with the late 1st and early 2nd. I feel there are alot better goalies available there (Such as Hart) and don't think the London connection is enough to have Parsons leapfrog those guys. In the 3rd, maybe. I also think they'd choose Stanley, Thompson or Clague over Nemelainen if those guys are available.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
This Jets fan would be thrilled with this result. Johansen and Dineen are exactly what our prospect pipeline needs.

Hoping you have unknown psychic abilities!

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
no way the leafs take parsons at 31 now.
if he is there at 57 maybe...or if fitpatrick at 72 maybe.
im gonna say lucas johansen/samuel girard at pick 31

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad