GDT: Yotes VS Bolts @ 4:30 AZ Time

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Very good debut by Gormley. Nothing lost in translation so far. Supremely poised in his own end against a consistently withering attack by the Bolts.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Since Summers can play either side and doesn't have much of an offensive game, I'd like to see him take a trial run as Yandle's partner.

This, I like Summers and Gormley, for the love anything that is holy, how can they think that Schlemmer is better than Summers or Gormely.

<granted, I'm a schlem hater, but both looked really good>

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Final stat lines for Summers and Gormley

Gormley: 13:22 TOI, +1, 2 blocks, 2 hits
Summers: 15:25 TOI, +1, 4 blocks, 1 hit

Not sure if Gormley is going to get consistent playtime, but I really hope Summers does from here on out this season. If he can finally establish himself as a reliable stay-at-home defender, our off-season roster building will be greatly simplified.

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe

Not sure if Gormley is going to get consistent playtime, but I really hope Summers does from here on out this season. If he can finally establish himself as a reliable stay-at-home defender, our off-season roster building will be greatly simplified.

4 blocked shots is pretty good

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Only saw the first period, but both Summers and Gormley looked pretty solid. Boy, would it be nice if Summers could establish himself as a everyday player.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This, I like Summers and Gormley, for the love anything that is holy, how can they think that Schlemmer is better than Summers or Gormely.

<granted, I'm a schlem hater, but both looked really good>

I only saw them in the first period and they both looked better than I thought they would be, but it is only one game.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Only saw the first period, but both Summers and Gormley looked pretty solid. Boy, would it be nice if Summers could establish himself as a everyday player.

They played as a pair. Tippett gave Summers some PK time (2:46), so I'd be looking over my shoulder if I'm David Schlemko.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yeah, Summers looks like a keeper. Physical & has good wheels. Jettison Schlemko for anything and have Summers/Stone/Gormley rotate on the bottom pairing next season.

Nothing like jumping to conclusions.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Nothing like jumping to conclusions.

Summers has shown a lot more the past few games than Schlemko has all season. Fast, physical, keeping it simple with the puck.

We needed a physical defender who can play shutdown, but we've had one all along. Hopefully Summers can cement his place on our blueline.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
Had to run out and pickup my daughter at the hospital where she volunteers (HS slave labor) when there was 2 minutes left. Listened on the radio and heard the game get tied. Picked her up and was listening to the the end of OT when with 19 seconds left, 860AM was slammed by another station playing some autotuned techno-pop dreck. Had to rewind the DVR to see the shootout. Nice to Smitty make the saves and Vrby score.

Get 2 more pts tomorrow, fellas.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Only saw first period, but why did Halpren and Moss get more minutes than Erat?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Summers has shown a lot more the past few games than Schlemko has all season. Fast, physical, keeping it simple with the puck.

We needed a physical defender who can play shutdown, but we've had one all along. Hopefully Summers can cement his place on our blueline.

I know I'm in the minority about Schlemko, and I really hope Summers can stick, but to say he is better than Schlemko after a few games is wrong. Remember how Murphy looked when he first came up and then petered out as the games went on? Summers has a lot to prove before I will be say he is better than Schlemko.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I know I'm in the minority about Schlemko, and I really hope Summers can stick, but to say he is better than Schlemko after a few games is wrong. Remember how Murphy looked when he first came up and then petered out as the games went on? Summers has a lot to prove before I will be say he is better than Schlemko.

Even if Murphy eventually petered out (and I don't think he really did, his stint this season was very impressivem especially for a rookie who's development was a gigantic ? mark because of his injury history) petered out Murphy > Schlemko.

In any case, Summers is way more of an ideal bottom-pairing defender than Schlemko will ever be. More mobile and bigger/more physical. Plays a simple game. For some mind-boggling reason he never got a consistent opportunity, even when it was apparent we needed someone exactly like him on our blueline. It's about time he's getting looks this season.

SweYote

Jun 7, 2011
Lund, Sweden
I've been a Yandle defender for a long time, but I'm on the verge of turning on him now. I've had it with his crap. Other than that I thought it was a good enough game. Liked what I saw from Summers/Gormley.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Even if Murphy eventually petered out (and I don't think he really did, his stint this season was very impressivem especially for a rookie who's development was a gigantic ? mark because of his injury history) petered out Murphy > Schlemko.

In any case, Summers is way more of an ideal bottom-pairing defender than Schlemko will ever be. More mobile and bigger/more physical. Plays a simple game. For some mind-boggling reason he never got a consistent opportunity, even when it was apparent we needed someone exactly like him on our blueline. It's about time he's getting looks this season.

Schlemko is a better puck mover at this point, and more mobile. Summers is more of a stay at home D. Once DMO comes back, it will be interesting to see if Stone sits instead of Summers. Summers and Gormley looked solid to me. When Schlemko is healthy, they could still go with Gormley though. Another game or two with both will tell the story.

Smith is really looking solid positionally on first shots and standing his ground on rebounds. This is still the key for our playoff hopes...

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Miele with only 10 mins TOI tonight.

That is more then I thought he would get, Tip won't trust him too much defensively...I did not notice him much, but Mcmillan sure looks good to me, making plays, generating chances...

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Schlemko is a better puck mover at this point, and more mobile.

Agreed that Schlemko is a better puck mover, but definitely disagree that he's more mobile than Summers. Summers's skating has always been lauded since his Michigan days. He even won the AHL All-Star Fastest Skater competition in 2013.

Last edited:

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
That is more then I thought he would get, Tip won't trust him too much defensively...I did not notice him much, but Mcmillan sure looks good to me, making plays, generating chances...

I thought Miele looked good in his limited time. He dug out a couple of pucks from scrums behind the net, made a couple of nice feeds, and didn't appear, to me at least, to be a defensive liability.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad