GDT: Yotes VS Bolts @ 4:30 AZ Time

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Gormley looked great. Miele was uninspiring. I imagine it's a quick send down for him once Hanzal is ready to go.

What does Moss provide that Klinkhammer doesn't? PK isn't a valid answer. Our PK is 27th in the league.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Solid debut by Gormley but can't help but chuckle at some of these comments. Man some of you sure live in the present, I'll give ya that! haha

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I want schlemko back. Screw the haters.I didn't know 1 game would decide the future. It's not like to go out and you ask a chick on a first date with you to get married.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Even if Murphy eventually petered out (and I don't think he really did, his stint this season was very impressivem especially for a rookie who's development was a gigantic ? mark because of his injury history) petered out Murphy > Schlemko.

In any case, Summers is way more of an ideal bottom-pairing defender than Schlemko will ever be. More mobile and bigger/more physical. Plays a simple game. For some mind-boggling reason he never got a consistent opportunity, even when it was apparent we needed someone exactly like him on our blueline. It's about time he's getting looks this season.

I would expect that mind boggling reason is that he played like crap when he was called up. Let's hope he plays a few more games and can play consistent enough to stick with the big team. I think losing Rundblad and Klesla was kind of unexpected this year, so hopefully Summers and Murphy can ease that pain.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I would expect that mind boggling reason is that he played like crap when he was called up. Let's hope he plays a few more games and can play consistent enough to stick with the big team. I think losing Rundblad and Klesla was kind of unexpected this year, so hopefully Summers and Murphy can ease that pain.

I kind of get what you are saying here, but I don't think that losing a defenseman, in general, was unexpected. Maybe the names of the players are unexpected, but I think that we set ourselves up to have a pipeline of potential puck-moving and stay-at-home defenders throughout the year. As one person establishes themselves, the case is made for that player to stay. Of all of the defensemen (Summers included), I'd say that Rundblad made the 2nd worst case to stay (not all of his fault, b/c you have to play to make your case to stay).

If anything, Murphy has exceeded expectations, even if he "petered" out during his run up here (which I don't believe he did at all).

I think that it was inevitable that a D-man was going to leave, but we didn't anticipate the way it was going to happen. Klesla may have even been traded if he was completely healthy and performing at a high level. The interesting thing was that his level of play reached a point where he could not even hack it in the top 6.

Blubba Jenkins

Not that Insightful
May 30, 2008
NE Florida
I'm finally up after an exhausting night. It was roughly a four hour drive to Tampa from Jacksonville and then I drove back. I didn't get home until 3 am. Completely worth it though! Some general impressions of what I saw at the game:

-Keith Yandle was awful. First and second goals were largely on him. He made a couple of turnovers on the second goal that allowed Tampa to keep gaining the zone.

-Summers and Gormley were pretty good in my opinion. They weren't very noticeable in the offensive zone, but they were solid in their own end.

-I thought Miele looked competent but pretty unremarkable for the most part. Got pushed around easily as you would expect.

-The arena is beautiful. I knew they revamped the jumbotron, but I had no idea how huge it is. The concourse is really nice too. The tesla coils are as awesome as they sound.

The acoustics in Tampa's arena is very odd.
I didn't get that at all there in person. Must be the way it played on TV. I thought it was great. Oh, and organs are the best, so bonus points for that.

Makes it sound pretty quiet in there.
Again, must have been the broadcast. The fans were really engaged and I thought it made for a great atmosphere.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City

I agree with this. These two games are the best I've seen from Summers, in that I didn't really notice him much - every other time he's been called up I've noticed him and it was always negative. Maybe it's finally clicking for him; would be nice.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
-The arena is beautiful. I knew they revamped the jumbotron, but I had no idea how huge it is. The concourse is really nice too. The tesla coils are as awesome as they sound.

How was my main man Paul Porter? (The P/A announcer - I was a Magic season ticket holder 89-94 and he does those games, too)

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I would expect that mind boggling reason is that he played like crap when he was called up.

Summers was very solid in his extended 21 game tour of duty in 2011-2012. 21 games, 12 min TOI/game, 3 assists, 50 hits, 19 blocks, -4 rating - all decent numbers for a bottom-pairing SAH defender. He just got outshined by Stone. His brief stint last season was worse, but then again, 1 of the 6 games he played was a Blackhawks game in which the entire blueline (including OEL) got steamrolled.

Anyways, he deserves an another look and so far he's been running with it.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I want schlemko back. Screw the haters.I didn't know 1 game would decide the future. It's not like to go out and you ask a chick on a first date with you to get married.

Tips been on 187 NHL dates with Schlemko. But he's not a keeper, so it's just time to move on to better things.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I kind of get what you are saying here, but I don't think that losing a defenseman, in general, was unexpected. Maybe the names of the players are unexpected, but I think that we set ourselves up to have a pipeline of potential puck-moving and stay-at-home defenders throughout the year. As one person establishes themselves, the case is made for that player to stay. Of all of the defensemen (Summers included), I'd say that Rundblad made the 2nd worst case to stay (not all of his fault, b/c you have to play to make your case to stay).

If anything, Murphy has exceeded expectations, even if he "petered" out during his run up here (which I don't believe he did at all).

I think that it was inevitable that a D-man was going to leave, but we didn't anticipate the way it was going to happen. Klesla may have even been traded if he was completely healthy and performing at a high level. The interesting thing was that his level of play reached a point where he could not even hack it in the top 6.

Yeah, I meant the names. I think most thought Schlemko/Summers. Murphy was a total surprise, and yes he did exceed expectations. If he can continue to mature I think we may have a diamond in the rough. His old man was a very good player.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Summers was very solid in his extended 21 game tour of duty in 2011-2012. 21 games, 12 min TOI/game, 3 assists, 50 hits, 19 blocks, -4 rating - all decent numbers for a bottom-pairing SAH defender. He just got outshined by Stone. His brief stint last season was worse, but then again, 1 of the 6 games he played was a Blackhawks game in which the entire blueline (including OEL) got steamrolled.

Anyways, he deserves an another look and so far he's been running with it.

I'm not nearly as high on Summers as you and rt. I would love to see him finally make it. Time will tell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad