News Article: Yotes Notes: Lyubushkin, POJ in AZ for informal workouts.

Mosby

Ready for Yeti
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
“I want to play center and I’m not really interested in wing,” he said. “Sometimes late in the game, you could play wing when we’re doing different things, but I don’t feel as comfortable as I do at center, that’s for sure. If it happens it happens and I’ll have to deal with it but I don’t see that happening.”

This a little strong IMO for a guy who is likely going to be scratched quite a bit.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
We didn't give him that shitty contract to scratch him, unfortunately. They probably told him they see him as the 3C. Leaving Strome the odd guy out. Because why would we play Richardson at wing or scratch him when we could do that to our center prospect who tears up every other level of competition?

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
We didn't give him that ****ty contract to scratch him, unfortunately. They probably told him they see him as the 3C. Leaving Strome the odd guy out. Because why would we play Richardson at wing or scratch him when we could do that to our center prospect who tears up every other level of competition?

That would be f***ing stupid because we need Strome to develop into a top 2 center at the very least to be a real contender any time in the next few years but I could see them doing that. The best case scenario for this team would be Richardson scratched with Strome, Dvo, Galchenyuk and Stepan at center with Galchenyuk and Strome on the first PP unit. The plan for the coaching staff should be to build the lines around those guys while they have the practice time in camp.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'm fine with Dvo or Galchenyuk at wing if they are dug in with Richardson at C. Even Strome as 4C. He produced with Domi and Rinaldo. He should get a shot. But Strome would whither at wing or as the 13th guy.

We are frequently self-destructive and short-sighted, though, so I totally can see this happening.

Reactions: Jakey53

SpaceCoyote

Jul 10, 2013
Wasting away
I think the Dvo at wing idea went out the window with that extension. It makes no sense to stifle his development at wing after that kind of investment.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I think the Dvo at wing idea went out the window with that extension. It makes no sense to stifle his development at wing after that kind of investment.

Richie can sit at the center chair in the press box. There is absolutely ZERO reason Richie needs to be playing center and Strome and Dvo play wing. Zero, none. NO excuses whatsoever.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Depends though, is he Pavalski/O'Reilly where he excels at both? I've wanted Pavs for years because of his Character and versatility, if Dvo is the Pavs reincarnate I'd be ecstatic.

Reactions: _Del_

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I don't think Dvo would miss a beat. Best arguably more valuable as a center, but I'm not sure that it isn't the answer in the short-term. I prefer just putting Galchenyuk at wing, but that clearly isn't the plan, and I can see why they want to try it.

Reactions: Jakey53

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
If having Stepan, Dvorak, Galchenyuk and Strome all at C is a problem then try to remember that just 3 years ago we were using Hanzal (28 y.o.), Vermette (33), Chipchurra and Gordon (31).

Reactions: SniperHF

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
If having Stepan, Dvorak, Galchenyuk and Strome all at C is a problem then try to remember that just 3 years ago we were using Hanzal (28 y.o.), Vermette (33), Chipchurra and Gordon (31).

Just the season before last...

Dvorak 78gp 33pts
Hanzal 51gp 26 pts
Burmistrov 26gp 14pts
Holland 40gp 11pts
Richardson 16gp 9pts
Dauphin 24gp 3 pts

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
“I want to play center and I’m not really interested in wing,” he said. “Sometimes late in the game, you could play wing when we’re doing different things, but I don’t feel as comfortable as I do at center, that’s for sure. If it happens it happens and I’ll have to deal with it but I don’t see that happening.”

This a little strong IMO for a guy who is likely going to be scratched quite a bit.
They signed him to play 4C. I don't see Richardson sitting much, if at all. IF he can get back to his play two years ago is will be an asset.

We didn't give him that ****ty contract to scratch him, unfortunately. They probably told him they see him as the 3C. Leaving Strome the odd guy out. Because why would we play Richardson at wing or scratch him when we could do that to our center prospect who tears up every other level of competition?
I get the feeling RT does not care for the way Strome plays, and I bet he won't get a fair shake here. I hope I'm dead wrong and Strome gets 50 pts. this year.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't think so. One of DVO's biggest asset is his versatility.

SpaceCoyote

Jul 10, 2013
Wasting away
I don't think so. One of DVO's biggest asset is his versatility.

Versatility in situational play sure, but he has played C his entire NHL career and even most of his CHL career. Also RT is known for liking speed down the wings, which is probably the biggest knock on Dvorak's game right now.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Versatility in situational play sure, but he has played C his entire NHL career and even most of his CHL career. Also RT is known for liking speed down the wings, which is probably the biggest knock on Dvorak's game right now.
They had Strome on wing last year.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
They signed him to play 4C. I don't see Richardson sitting much, if at all. IF he can get back to his play two years ago is will be an asset.

I get the feeling RT does not care for the way Strome plays, and I bet he won't get a fair shake here. I hope I'm dead wrong and Strome gets 50 pts. this year.

I'd like to hope for the same thing and see Strome do well for us. However, it seems like every single move that has been made - Galchenyuk trade, drafting Hayton, signing Richardson, and extending Dvorak - although not related directly to Strome, all of these indicate that something else may be in the wake for Strome. Certainly stacks the deck against him and if the idea was to do so just to put some pressure on Strome to see how he responds, that seems like a large sequence of events to motivate a young player.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'd like to hope for the same thing and see Strome do well for us. However, it seems like every single move that has been made - Galchenyuk trade, drafting Hayton, signing Richardson, and extending Dvorak - although not related directly to Strome, all of these indicate that something else may be in the wake for Strome. Certainly stacks the deck against him and if the idea was to do so just to put some pressure on Strome to see how he responds, that seems like a large sequence of events to motivate a young player.
We have waited this long for Strome so I don't think another year would hurt to let this play out, but I have a feeling Strome will have a short leash.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->