TSN: [Yost] Ottawa Senators pass critical transition point in full-blown rebuild

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
So, in season 2021-22, we can expect salaries to be “close to the NHL’s salary cap” and remain there until 2025. We shall see.

I hope they are not, they are going to need cap room to add RFA contracts, Brady,Batherson,Brown will all need contracts in 21,then guys like Norris and Bran the two guys we draft this year should be good players that crowd the cap and we are going to start to see problems already by then. If they are already maxed out by 21-22 they will be super screwed

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yost is arrogant, smug and pompous. A pure numbers guy who for years completely turned a blind eye to actual evaluation of players and events and only focusing on numbers irregardless of the truth.

I'll pass on reading anything he writes.
I find that a strange position considering you'll read what alot of posters post around here. Way less informed opinions.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
People that complain about how much money White is making need to read this article and actually look at the sens cap situation. Being so far below the cap floor is actually an issue. They are in a position to take on a bad contract for more assets but i dont want it to be at the expense of the expansion draft.

So ... since the Sens are below the cap they should over pay their RFA’s ? I think there are better things they could do with that money that would motivate 22 year olds to develop their game and allow the sens to acquire more assets.

Last edited:

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I find that a strange position considering you'll read what alot of posters post around here. Way less informed opinions.
Not disagreeing, but none of us are paid to write about hockey. Yost is. It's reasonable to hold him to a higher standard than fellow fans on a message board.

Reactions: DJB

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

I'm not sure exactly how it correlates but I digress.

If it helps I usually gloss over or ignore posters on here who spew numbers constantly to fit their agenda.

Reactions: bert

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I hope they are not, they are going to need cap room to add RFA contracts, Brady,Batherson,Brown will all need contracts in 21,then guys like Norris and Bran the two guys we draft this year should be good players that crowd the cap and we are going to start to see problems already by then. If they are already maxed out by 21-22 they will be super screwed

The fans have already been super screwed by this franchise. :)

I suspect the FYOUS was PR BS. :)

I doubt that the Sens will sign any expensive UFAs nor trade for high quality high salaries players under current ownership that will increase the salaries to near the cap.

Reactions: Countdown0

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
how do you measure transition points???

Can you sit here and say any draftee will definitely be a good pro. Or any minor leaguer will end up a good pro.

3 legitimate NHL caliber top 6 forwards and top 4 D. 7 more are needed. All of whom must come from the draft.. With no ability to predict, how is anyone feeling sure that those 7 guys will materialize. And surface within the next 2 years.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Look where optimism got you's?

Was never convinced this team was run well since 2012.

No I agree, I wanted to blow this team up in summer of 2010. We had a really fast accelerated opportunity to do so but we didnt capitalize. 2012-2013 we had lucky rejuvenated retool but we didnt capitalize and made some pure dumb decisions.

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
how do you measure transition points???

Can you sit here and say any draftee will definitely be a good pro. Or any minor leaguer will end up a good pro.

3 legitimate NHL caliber top 6 forwards and top 4 D. 7 more are needed. All of whom must come from the draft.. With no ability to predict, how is anyone feeling sure that those 7 guys will materialize. And surface within the next 2 years.

There is a difference between not being able to say something with certainty and having no ability to predict.

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
There is a difference between not being able to say something with certainty and having no ability to predict.

I hope so Analytic. Remember, we are the ones who have to pick up the pieces. If he is wrong...we lose.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
I would suggest lifting your boycott of Yost for this click.

The stuff he is good at is numbers; and the part about the Sens making the cap floor is interesting.

Check out our summer shopping list here

2020 NHL Free Agents Tracker

Unfortunately, none of the particularly interesting names on this list will be coming here in all likelihood. We'll probably be keeping at least a few of our own UFAs though. I would imagine that Anderson is at least offered a contract for another two years. Boro most likely sticks around. Dorion probably tries to keep Hainsey as well, and given that he traded for Matthew Peca at the deadline, he probably get's a contract offer.

Some names from that list probably do get inflated offers from the Sens though, just in an attempt to hit the cap floor with over-payed 1 year deals. On its own, that's not a bad way of handling the finances during a rebuild.

All said and done though, by October we will have had a very boring off season, with perhaps (hopefully) an exciting draft to break up the monotony. Who knows, maybe we win the draft lottery and nab Lafrenière? ... let me dream...

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Unfortunately, none of the particularly interesting names on this list will be coming here in all likelihood. We'll probably be keeping at least a few of our own UFAs though. I would imagine that Anderson is at least offered a contract for another two years. Boro most likely sticks around. Dorion probably tries to keep Hainsey as well, and given that he traded for Matthew Peca at the deadline, he probably get's a contract offer.

Some names from that list probably do get inflated offers from the Sens though, just in an attempt to hit the cap floor with over-payed 1 year deals. On its own, that's not a bad way of handling the finances during a rebuild.

All said and done though, by October we will have had a very boring off season, with perhaps (hopefully) an exciting draft to break up the monotony. Who knows, maybe we win the draft lottery and nab Lafrenière? ... let me dream...

I doubt that Anderson will get a contract offer from the Senators.

I agree that Borowiecki and Hainsey will get offers. Peca might depending on Dorion’s expectations for the Belleville prospects: Batherson, Norris, L. Brown, Balcers.

Reactions: Sweatred

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I doubt that Anderson will get a contract offer from the Senators.

I agree that Borowiecki and Hainsey will get offers. Peca might depending on Dorion’s expectations for the Belleville prospects: Batherson, Norris, L. Brown, Balcers.

I don't think Andy wants to play anymore. He most likely wants to spend time with his family.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Yost is arrogant, smug and pompous. A pure numbers guy who for years completely turned a blind eye to actual evaluation of players and events and only focusing on numbers irregardless of the truth.

I'll pass on reading anything he writes.

He was convinced that Weircioch was good :biglaugh:

Reactions: DJB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad