TSN: [Yost] Ottawa Senators pass critical transition point in full-blown rebuild

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Good article breaking down the rebuild.

Some interesting hot takes from our old friend Travis Yost.
https://www.tsn.ca/ottawa-senators-...point-in-full-blown-rebuild-1.1449580?tsn-amp
“The first half tends to focus on tearing down an ultimately flawed roster – one that may not be as competitive on the ice as intended, or one that may have been fiscally mismanaged against the hard cap. The second half focuses on the introduction of younger (and generally cheaper) players whose developmental arc is still favourable.
The passing of the 2019-20 NHL trade deadline was a critical transition point for the Ottawa Senators on this front.

“But if you are going to commit to a full-blown rebuild, you have to commit all of the way. There is a cost with that sort of strategy. As one example: The loss of Stone, a born-and-bred Senator who clearly soured on the organization’s long-term strategy, will be felt for a considerable length of time.
Players like Stone became collateral damage in Ottawa’s broader strategy to transition to a full-blown youth movement. I mean, just look at what has happened.”

https://www.tsn.ca/ottawa-senators-pass-critical-transition-point-in-full-blown-rebuild-1.1449580?tsn-amp

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Good article breaking down the rebuild.

Some interesting hot takes from our old friend Travis Yost.
“The first half tends to focus on tearing down an ultimately flawed roster – one that may not be as competitive on the ice as intended, or one that may have been fiscally mismanaged against the hard cap. The second half focuses on the introduction of younger (and generally cheaper) players whose developmental arc is still favourable.
The passing of the 2019-20 NHL trade deadline was a critical transition point for the Ottawa Senators on this front.

“But if you are going to commit to a full-blown rebuild, you have to commit all of the way. There is a cost with that sort of strategy. As one example: The loss of Stone, a born-and-bred Senator who clearly soured on the organization’s long-term strategy, will be felt for a considerable length of time.
Players like Stone became collateral damage in Ottawa’s broader strategy to transition to a full-blown youth movement. I mean, just look at what has happened.”

Ottawa Senators pass critical transition point in full-blown rebuild - TSN.ca
People that complain about how much money White is making need to read this article and actually look at the sens cap situation. Being so far below the cap floor is actually an issue. They are in a position to take on a bad contract for more assets but i dont want it to be at the expense of the expansion draft.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I would suggest lifting your boycott of Yost for this click.

The stuff he is good at is numbers; and the part about the Sens making the cap floor is interesting.

Check out our summer shopping list here

2020 NHL Free Agents Tracker

We are 21 ish million under with 9 players signed, Duclair and tierney will knock that down 8 or so no?
So 11 guys signed and 13 million to spend to make the floor.
It won’t be as hard to do as he is talking it up

Reactions: HSF

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Ya getting to the cap floor should never really be a worry tbh you can sign a few guys too and overpay a little for a year like we did with hainsey and make them UFA before the expansion draft or move them at the deadline

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Ya getting to the cap floor should never really be a worry tbh you can sign a few guys too and overpay a little for a year like we did with hainsey and make them UFA before the expansion draft or move them at the deadline
Ultimately its an opportunity that hopefully the sens take advantage of along with the upcoming expansion draft. Both are situations where the sens cap space and lack of high end NHL players could translate into good assets coming in.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Ultimately its an opportunity that hopefully the sens take advantage of along with the upcoming expansion draft. Both are situations where the sens cap space and lack of high end NHL players could translate into good assets coming in.
Agreed

We haven't seen it yet tbh except maybe getting c brown but let's see if we do it for a completely dead cap space type player

Reactions: Bileur and bert

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Yeah I just can't get myself to read anything Yost writes. I don't follow him on Twitter anymore either. His incessant whining and know-it-all-ness was a little much.

Reactions: Samsquanch

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Yeah I just can't get myself to read anything Yost writes. I don't follow him on Twitter anymore either. His incessant whining and know-it-all-ness was a little much.

Was Yost a former member here or something? Why do so many people dislike him?

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Was Yost a former member here or something? Why do so many people dislike him?

Yea he was, me and him used to go at it on the future of this franchise with others looool (also that guy with the skeleton avatar too but that guy was more pessimistic than Stylizer). He was an active member on this forums and thats how he got recognized by Eklund? Silversens? Then by TSN. He is spectacular at analysis and breakdowns but the way he conveys many things nudges people the wrong way - speaks way too condescendingly - when he was on these boards and when he went higher up.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Yea he was, me and him used to go at it on the future of this franchise with others looool (also that guy with the skeleton avatar too but that guy was more pessimistic than Stylizer). He was an active member on this forums and thats how he got recognized by Eklund? Silversens? Then by TSN. He is spectacular at analysis and breakdowns but the way he conveys many things nudges people the wrong way - speaks way too condescendingly - when he was on these boards and when he went higher up.

Thank you for clarifying.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Cap Floor was way over hyped last off season.

This off season will be no different.

Tierney/Duclair/Brown = at least 10 million combined in cap through arbitration. Hainsey and Boro will be 3-4 million combined in cap. That puts the team up to 55 million with 10 roster spots to fill. Let's say they cost 800k a spot on average, they are then up to 63 million.

Point being, yes they have unparalleled cap flexibility but just like with last off season, I highly doubt they will use it to do much at all. I could see them going after a cost controlled star player with term, or a star RFA who another team cannot afford. But that would have nothing to do with meeting the cap floor.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

Look where optimism got you's?

Was never convinced this team was run well since 2012.

Reactions: bert and Ed Wood

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
When does FYOUS start? That should start pushing the salary costs up, should it not? :)

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
So, in season 2021-22, we can expect salaries to be “close to the NHL’s salary cap” and remain there until 2025. We shall see.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I used to like Yost's stuff on the senators. This particular article is pretty much useless however.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad