Yooka-Laylee (2017): The Spiritual Successor to Banjo-Kazooie.

JA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yooka-Laylee
Yooka-Laylee is an upcoming action-adventure platforming video game for Microsoft Windows, OS X, Linux, PlayStation 4, Wii U and Xbox One with an expected release window of early 2017.[2] It is being developed by Playtonic Games, a group of several former key personnel from Rare during the Nintendo 64 era, as a spiritual successor to their work from that time period. Among them, Banjo-Kazooie designers Chris Sutherland, Steve Mayles and Steven Hurst reprise their respective roles of lead programmer and voice actor, character artist, and environmental artist.[3] Grant Kirkhope also returns as composer.
The soundtrack is composed by Grant Kirkhope, David Wise, and Steve Burke, all former Rare composers. Kirkhope composed the soundtracks for Donkey Kong 64, Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, and Goldeneye 007; Wise composed the soundtracks for the Donkey Kong Country games on SNES.
On 8 September 2012, a group of former Rare employees announced their intent to create a spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie. They joined under the Twitter handle Mingy Jongo, a boss from the game Banjo-Tooie, with cooperation from ex-Rare developers, such as Grant Kirkhope. The account was left abandoned and the project confirmed to be dead by Kirkhope in a Reddit AMA.[10] Later, the account was revived under its current name Playtonic Games. Playtonic then announced that they were planning a spiritual successor to the Banjo-Kazooie franchise titled Yooka-Laylee, formerly codenamed Project Ukulele.[11] Yooka-Laylee is believed to have been the result of Mingy Jongo's work, which was similarly based on the Unity game engine and was intended to be crowdfunded through Kickstarter.

The game's funding project was announced on Kickstarter on 1 May 2015. It reached its initial crowdfunding campaign goal of £175,000 within thirty-eight minutes[12] and its initial highest goal of £1 million in 21 hours,[13] at the time becoming the fastest video game in Kickstarter history to reach US$1 million.[14] Playtonic Games later sent out a public statement thanking all their supporters and promising more updates in the future.[15] The campaign added four additional stretch goals, all of which have been reached. Those who contributed predetermined amounts to the campaign will receive special rewards related to the game's release. It is currently the highest-funded UK video game in Kickstarter history, passing the previous record held by Elite: Dangerous,[16] earning £2,090,104.

Yooka-Laylee is set to be released on Microsoft Windows, OS X, Linux, PlayStation 4, Wii U, and Xbox One,[17] with success in the crowdfunding campaign allowing a simultaneous release for consoles. The game will feature 3D worlds by environment artist Steven Hurst, whose credits include the Banjo-Kazooie series and Viva Piñata. Some characters will be designed by Kevin Bayliss, who helped design the modern Kong characters in the Donkey Kong Country series, and Ed Bryan, who designed characters in Banjo-Kazooie. Former Rare composers David Wise, Grant Kirkhope and Steve Burke will collaborate to compose the game's orchestral score. A soundtrack CD will be released and rewarded to certain supporters of the crowdfunding campaign. The game will feature an optional "N64 shader" mode, which will imitate the graphical appearance of Nintendo 64 games.[2]

20SwQrR.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I wanted it the moment i seen the first trailer.

The game just oozes old school Rareware charm. Everything about it from the music (that jungle theme is so Banjo-Kazooie it hurts), the art design and the general atmosphere of the game. It looked like they didn't miss a beat, even if it is bootleg Banjo-Kazooie.

The question i've been pondering is does that type of "collect-a-thon" gameplay translate to 2017? Rare basically made and then kind of killed that genre when they were in their heyday. Sure, we all have nostalgic feelings towards those games, but is running around collecting a bunch of stuff enough to keep a game entertaining? DK 64 was the last high profile game to come out of that genre and it went way overboard with the whole collecting thing. The medium has changed a good amount since those days.

I'll pick it up regardless since i've played those games, but still.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
The question i've been pondering is does that type of "collect-a-thon" gameplay translate to 2017?

I think the main issue isn't so much the end goal, it's the journey if you will.

When I think of DK64 I think of a game that just wasn't that entertaining and that had little to do with what your objectives were. It didn't deliver the moment to moment light humor on the same level as Banjo Kazooie, nor did it deliver the gameplay change ups to the same degree spread out through the levels to keep things fresh.

If they can vary the gameplay through level design and mechanic change ups the end goal won't matter. Punchy, concise, yet funny writing as well.

JA

Two tracks from the Yooka-Laylee soundtrack -- one from David Wise, the other from Grant Kirkhope. Wise did the Donkey Kong Country series among other titles. Kirkhope did Donkey Kong 64, Goldeneye 007, and the Banjo-Kazooie titles.

This is the most excited I've been about a game in a long time. I adore the whimsical platformers of the 1990s, especially those from Rare. I don't even have a console, but apparently the main build is the Wii U build; Playtonic is building its own PC build, while a company called Team17, the developer of the Worms franchise, will port the game to PS4 and XBOX One.

An in-depth discussion of the game here:

A physical copy of the game would be nice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Managed to play the toybox demo that comes with the pre-order.

It's literally Banjo-Kaoozie re-skinned and i couldn't be happier. Only thing i dislike (albeit based off a short demo) is the godawful swimming controls are still the same as they were 20 years ago.

Otherwise i'm very excited.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck

I really hope most of the worlds/areas aren't like this. This level looks very empty and bland.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
That was my first thought as well.

It looks to be a city/industrial type level so it's probably just for that one

Edit: or alternatively, that might actually be the hub world type thing like Grunty's lair was in the original.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Never got the appeal of these "run-around-and-collect" games as they've always bored me to death, so this one is probably a pass for me too.

Last edited:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
With games where the goal is "run around and collect X" or whatever as the primary goal - meaning not Riddler trophies and the like....it's not about the goal it's about getting there.

Can I get there using a wall jump? no that didn't work.

Can I get there using my special double jump

OH it looks like I need that new power to get there I don't have yet.

And when you finally get the power and get there you find out....

OH there was actually a secret passage way in that one place I forgot to look.

The story is how you the player figured out how to do a thing. Not that the character in the game found a thing.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
BK was about as perfect as you can be with a collectable game, but it is a type of platformer that can very quickly spiral into tedium if not done properly.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
As someone who's only getting into the Banjo Kazooie series right now, this is gonna be interesting to see how Yooka-Laylee measures up.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
As someone who's only getting into the Banjo Kazooie series right now, this is gonna be interesting to see how Yooka-Laylee measures up.

wish i could erase my memory of the bk games and play them again

so magicial

this is a game inplan on getting the day it comes out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad