Confirmed with Link: Yevenko signs one year two way

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I remember this huge hulking D-Man that came up with the NY Islanders, and I thought Mad Mike Milbury gave up on him too quick before trading him to Ottawa. Sure, he was having trouble adding skill to his frame, but Ottawa gave him a chance. Seems like it turned out okay for Zendo Chara.

You can hope he never makes it, but I hope HE DOES see the NHL.....in a CBJ uniform no less.

I have enough confidence in Jarmo and Zito to know that this franchise is past the days of gimmicks and goons to fill out roster. Maybe this one year, turns into another one year, with a cup of coffee. Then that leads to an opening in two years.

I hope the young man lives out his dream.

I too remember a huge hulking defenseman coming up with the Islanders around the same time. But it didn't turn out the same way for Vladimir Chebaturkin. Nor did it turn out well for Branislav Mezei (6'5", 240 pounds) or Kristian Kudroc (6'7", 230).

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
I too remember a huge hulking defenseman coming up with the Islanders around the same time. But it didn't turn out the same way for Vladimir Chebaturkin. Nor did it turn out well for Branislav Mezei (6'5", 240 pounds) or Kristian Kudroc (6'7", 230).

I don't know much about Chebaturkin or Mezel but on eliteprospects they aren't listed beyond the normal huge 6"3; 191 cm and 192 cm.

The best comparison, sharing frame with Yevenko, Kudroc blossomed from the days of his professional breakthrough to a very respectable SM-liiga defender, next switching over to the KHL with good results as well coming near to 0.4 ppg on average. He was around 24 in age when the uphill climbing process started.

KlichkoBro*

Yeah, as it was stated Chebaturkin and Mezei are bad examples since they don't possess the size of a giant. And Kudroc actually is another good example how late a big men can put it together. He played his 1st game for the team Slovakia at the age of 27.

Boomshakalaka

Why do I do this?
May 1, 2014
Columbus
The guy was pretty aggressive in pre season, but man those mistakes. Seeing that we really have a crapshoot for d men, here s hoping he develops more and has success.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Except you're not directly contradicting or diamterically opposed to anything that's been said. Right not, Yevenko is not as good as 8-9 other defensemen in the system, so it's right to hope he doesn't see a whole lot of NHL time right now. You're hope he does see NHL playing time is, I assume, based on him improving and becoming one of the organization's better blueliners. I don't think anyone would counter the notion that it's fine that he plays if he becomes that.

oh come on, don't prove bus's "you guys" ad hominem criticisms so easily.

One can say one hopes he never sniffs the NHL, but he just signed a 2-way contract. Clearly, some people are not as resistant as CBJWennberg (among others) to seeing the guy in the NHL.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
oh come on, don't prove bus's "you guys" ad hominem criticisms so easily.

One can say one hopes he never sniffs the NHL, but he just signed a 2-way contract. Clearly, some people are not as resistant as CBJWennberg (among others) to seeing the guy in the NHL.

Comparing two individual posts is the same as an ad hominem?

I extrapolated meaning. If I'm wrong, I'm fairly certain one of them will tell me.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Cheap contract, unknown ceiling, one of JK's better moves (non draft) imo.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Cheap contract, unknown ceiling, one of JK's better moves (non draft) imo.

mqdefault.jpg

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I'm DEFINITELY ready for some regular season hockey....and regular season hockey talk.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I don't know much about Chebaturkin or Mezel but on eliteprospects they aren't listed beyond the normal huge 6"3; 191 cm and 192 cm.

The best comparison, sharing frame with Yevenko, Kudroc blossomed from the days of his professional breakthrough to a very respectable SM-liiga defender, next switching over to the KHL with good results as well coming near to 0.4 ppg on average. He was around 24 in age when the uphill climbing process started.

Yeah, as it was stated Chebaturkin and Mezei are bad examples since they don't possess the size of a giant. And Kudroc actually is another good example how late a big men can put it together. He played his 1st game for the team Slovakia at the age of 27.

Odd; everything I can find from Mezei before the draft has him at either 6'4" or 6'5", and eliteprospects is the only site that has him shorter than that (6'3"). His own team's website has him at 6'5" and 251 pounds, same as hockeydb.com.

Regardless, he was bad at the NHL level. So was Kudroc, although in more limited action.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Regardless, he was bad at the NHL level. So was Kudroc, although in more limited action.

Kudroc played most of his NHL games when he was around 19. Then everyone ain't a NHL level talent either but similar thing happens with giant 'target-men' in European football, hulking offensive towers: they take their time but are worth the mustard. Yevenko's development trajectory should not be compared with mere mortals as he walks amongst the giants.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Comparing two individual posts is the same as an ad hominem?

I extrapolated meaning. If I'm wrong, I'm fairly certain one of them will tell me.

I meant ad hominem as what bus engages in when he assigns a collective "you guys" to the disparate opinions on the forum. Something you are quick to call people on. And I meant that here it seems like in trying to diminish the difference in opinion about Yvenko's contract and NHL readiness it seems like the specter of a consensus is being raised.

I just don't think a 2-way contract can be squared with a sentiment that doesn't want this kid to sniff the NHL roster. Jarmo's actions are proving some talent scouts in these forum wrong.

ANYWAY, good for the kid! I'm willing to wait on a guy his size if the potential is there.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I meant ad hominem as what bus engages in when he assigns a collective "you guys" to the disparate opinions on the forum. Something you are quick to call people on. And I meant that here it seems like in trying to diminish the difference in opinion about Yvenko's contract and NHL readiness it seems like the specter of a consensus is being raised.

I just don't think a 2-way contract can be squared with a sentiment that doesn't want this kid to sniff the NHL roster. Jarmo's actions are proving some talent scouts in these forum wrong.

ANYWAY, good for the kid! I'm willing to wait on a guy his size if the potential is there.

All I did was suggest that maybe two individual posters weren't as far apart as they thought. My explanation for said is pretty clear, and is nothing resembling ad hominem.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015

That is, I guess, the sentiment I was trying to express. I'm glad this team is past the days when you had to hope the high draft pick would develop quickly while playing NHL hockey (see MacLeod, Keil or Picard, Alexandre, et. al.).

The Blue Jackets have never had the luxury of taking a flyer on a prospect and stashing them with good players, good development team and some time to see what happens.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
All I did was suggest that maybe two individual posters weren't as far apart as they thought. My explanation for said is pretty clear, and is nothing resembling ad hominem.

Again, the ad hominem is coming from bus. This isn't worth discussing any more, I just wanted to clarify.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'm less dopey. Just looked up ad hominem. :laugh:

Between the English majors and the hipsters and useful tools like google and urban dictionary I'm learning alot. :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad