Confirmed with Link: Yevenko signs one year two way

BJFan1

Feb 6, 2008
Columbus
Here's the story from Puck Rakers:

The Blue Jackets this afternoon signed towering defenseman Oleg Yevenko to a one-year, two-way NHL/AHL contract.
Yevenko, 6-foot-7 and 238 pounds, was signed to a minor-league contract by the Blue Jackets earlier this summer. But his standout play during the Traverse City prospects tournament and a strong showing at training camp earned him an upgrade.
“Playing against NHL players -- bigger, faster, stronger guys -- I've been impressed with how he's handled himself," Blue Jackets coach Todd Richards said last week.
Yevenko, 24, of Minsk, Belarus, first caught the Jackets’ attention while playing for Belarus in the World Championshps this summer. He also played four years of college hockey at Massachusetts-Amherst, racking up 211 penalty minutes and 182 blocked shots in 132 NCAA games He played four AHL games for the Adirondack Flames last season.
Yevenko, assigned to AHL Lake Erie last week, will join forward Brett Gallant in adding a measure of protection to the large stable of young talent that the Monsters will have this season. His new contract will allow the Blue Jackets to recall him to Columbus if needed.
Yevenko is a formidable presence and has shown a willingness to drop his gloves when needed.
"As a bigger guy, it's part of the job description,” Yevenko said. "You take care of teammates if guys are running around."

--Shawn Mitchell

[email protected]

@smitchcd

I don't mind the signing. I enjoyed watching him in the pre-season game vs STL in Columbus. Knows how to use his size, but seems the type of player to play defense first, then rise to the occasion with his size if called upon.

But, what a reach he has! Heck of a wing-span on that Oak Tree. :)

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I don't get the bashing of this guy. Saw him in person in Traverse City and he was a monster and one of our best d-men, along with Paliotta. He can definitely help on the big club if needed.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
No risk, little to no reward. As long as he stays in the AHL and doesn't sniff the NHL then this is fine,

I don't get the bashing of this guy. Saw him in person in Traverse City and he was a monster and one of our best d-men, along with Paliotta. He can definitely help on the big club if needed.

Well, to be fair he was also at least 3 years older than most of the people participating.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Jarmo seems to disagree with you.

Well he only got a one year deal. Ideally we would never have to see him in Columbus. As I said, as long as he stays in Cleveland to protect the prospects then I don't mind this.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
was he only eligible for a 1 yr deal? I think I read if he got a contract he was eligible for only 1 yr ELC...

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
What is the problem with potentially using the guy in Columbus if needed? Can you imagine what a man his size could do if someone actually taught him how to use size properly in getting his shot off? Where is Al McGinnis when you need him?

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Well, to be fair he was also at least 3 years older than most of the people participating.

uqiovewl.gif

But most people there weren't giants who usually take a much longer period of time to get comfortable with their frame.

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
was he only eligible for a 1 yr deal? I think I read if he got a contract he was eligible for only 1 yr ELC...

Without plodding through the CBA that seems right... Okay I couldn't help myself went and looked it up 24 only 1 year-25 & above no ELC.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Okay? And? He's still older and should stand out with a bunch of kids.

If you have your contract upgraded during a short pre-season you have stood out.

I saw a brief training clip of Yevenko lifting superstar Ryan Johansen on the walls in 1vs1-practise. I would be more worried if management wouldn't want him and rather tried to sign nicely obeying Laura Ingalls, in her apron, to a contract.

1367062213.gif

ndd17

In Eaves we trust!
Jul 14, 2012
Russia
I calmly refer to two-way contract Yevenko. I understand he will make his debut in the NHL only one case-emergency call, but i very hope all our huge number of injuries remained in the last season.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
Okay? And? He's still older and should stand out with a bunch of kids.

Well, if he stood out relative to some of the guys the Jackets are counting on as depth, maybe he's worth adding to that depth pool. Age doesn't really matter when we're talking about just this season.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Once again, I don't care about the signing (as in I am fine with it). Good for him. All I am saying is I hope he never sees the NHL. Because if he does its more than likely going to be due to severe injuries or drastically bad play.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
So Andre the Giant is ready to go if we need him? Ok. I wish him well, but not really expecting anything. Especially on offense.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Once again, I don't care about the signing (as in I am fine with it). Good for him. All I am saying is I hope he never sees the NHL. Because if he does its more than likely going to be due to severe injuries or drastically bad play.

I remember this huge hulking D-Man that came up with the NY Islanders, and I thought Mad Mike Milbury gave up on him too quick before trading him to Ottawa. Sure, he was having trouble adding skill to his frame, but Ottawa gave him a chance. Seems like it turned out okay for Zendo Chara.

You can hope he never makes it, but I hope HE DOES see the NHL.....in a CBJ uniform no less.

I have enough confidence in Jarmo and Zito to know that this franchise is past the days of gimmicks and goons to fill out roster. Maybe this one year, turns into another one year, with a cup of coffee. Then that leads to an opening in two years.

I hope the young man lives out his dream.

KlichkoBro*

I remember this huge hulking D-Man that came up with the NY Islanders, and I thought Mad Mike Milbury gave up on him too quick before trading him to Ottawa. Sure, he was having trouble adding skill to his frame, but Ottawa gave him a chance. Seems like it turned out okay for Zendo Chara.

You can hope he never makes it, but I hope HE DOES see the NHL.....in a CBJ uniform no less.

I have enough confidence in Jarmo and Zito to know that this franchise is past the days of gimmicks and goons to fill out roster. Maybe this one year, turns into another one year, with a cup of coffee. Then that leads to an opening in two years.

I hope the young man lives out his dream.

:handclap: He took #24 in Lake Erie in honor of Ruslan Salei, who also came to North America as an unknown undrafted guy, played in the lower IHL in Las Vegas and got drafted in the 1st round when he was already 22 years old.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Except you're not directly contradicting or diamterically opposed to anything that's been said. Right not, Yevenko is not as good as 8-9 other defensemen in the system, so it's right to hope he doesn't see a whole lot of NHL time right now. You're hope he does see NHL playing time is, I assume, based on him improving and becoming one of the organization's better blueliners. I don't think anyone would counter the notion that it's fine that he plays if he becomes that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad