yet another top 14.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

sushinsky4tsar

Oct 17, 2002
Edina, MN
Visit site
just for the heck of it, pieced together by someone who has seen very little of any of these guys. I've added a couple of trades just to spice things up.

1) was ovechkin
2) pit malkin
3) chi barker

*Chicago trades the rights to Cam Barker and their 2005 6th round pick to the Columbus Blue Jackets in exchange for Clm's no. 4 overall pick, and 2005 3rd round selection.

4) chi olesz
5) pho schremp
6) nyr ladd
7) flo tukonen
8) car thelen
9) ana wolski
10)atl stafford
11)la schwartz
12)min picard
13)buf o'neill
14)edm green

Last edited:

sushinsky4tsar

Oct 17, 2002
Edina, MN
Visit site
....continued

*Anaheim trades the rights of Wotjek Wolski to Edmonton for the rights to defenseman Mike Green, Jason Chimera and a 6th round selection in 2005* (I might be way off on how fair of a trade this would be)

15)nas lisin
16)nyi chipchura
17)stl valabik
18)mtl smid
19)cal montoya

*Los Angeles trades the rights of Marek Schwartz and a 6th round pick to Calgary in exchange for Alvaro Montoya and a 3rd round selection*

20)dal radulov
21)col meszaros
22)nj kaspar
23)edm dubnyk
24)van bolland
25)otw sindel
26)nyr lepisto
27)bos hensick
28)sj salmonsson
29)tb booth
30)was lyamin

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I'll say it again. Coyotes will not pass on both Ladd and Tukonen, especially in favor of Schremp. Schremp will not be a Coyote.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
It will cost Calgary a lot more than a 3rd to move from 19th to 11th.

In 2002, Coyotes traded a high 2nd to Calgary to move from 14th to 11th to take Sjostrom.

thestonedkoala

Why would LA pick up Montoya? And Calgary has a young good goaltender in Kipper, they have more pressing needs.

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
the rangers have 4 (probably 5 becouse it doesn't look like anything's getting done on the umberger front) second round picks, you don't see them moving a few of those to move up from the toronto pick?

senate

Feb 25, 2004
Another Czech/slovak right wing for the Sens - that borders on a fetish. :D

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
sushinsky4tsar said:
*Anaheim trades the rights of Wotjek Wolski to Edmonton for the rights to defenseman Mike Green, Jason Chimera and a 6th round selection in 2005* (I might be way off on how fair of a trade this would be)

*Los Angeles trades the rights of Marek Schwartz and a 6th round pick to Calgary in exchange for Alvaro Montoya and a 3rd round selection*

This is something that is extremely rare in hockey. In fact, I don't know if it happens at all. Teams will trade for a pick, but once a pick is made, you can bank on that player (or his rights, if you prefer) not being moved for quite a while - certainly not during the same draft.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
PhoPhan said:
I'll say it again. Coyotes will not pass on both Ladd and Tukonen, especially in favor of Schremp. Schremp will not be a Coyote.

Ladd is pretty good I hear, but in my opinion, any team that passes up Schremp to take him (regardless of position) will regret it. Just my two cents.

bigeasy

Mar 18, 2003
Yankee in South Ga.
Visit site
sushinsky4tsar said:
....c

20)dal radulov
21)col meszaros
22)nj kaspar
23)edm dubnyk
24)van bolland
25)otw sindel
26)nyr lepisto
27)bos hensick
28)sj salmonsson
29)tb booth
30)was lyamin

caps own the 27th pick from boston. and i wouldn't think they would go for hensick, caps are loaded at center and most of them are average to smaller in size.

bigeasy

Mar 18, 2003
Yankee in South Ga.
Visit site
caps pick 27

sushinsky4tsar said:
....c

20)dal radulov
21)col meszaros
22)nj kaspar
23)edm dubnyk
24)van bolland
25)otw sindel
26)nyr lepisto
27)bos hensick
28)sj salmonsson
29)tb booth
30)was lyamin

caps own the 27th pick from boston. and i wouldn't think they would go for hensick, caps are loaded at center and most of them are average to smaller in size.

sorry for the double post - was impatient

sushinsky4tsar

Oct 17, 2002
Edina, MN
Visit site
hey guys........

1st- I probably shouldn't have even attempted the last third to half of round 1, as I really am pretty clueless. You could just as well throw a dart at a board. I wanted to go past the lottery teams and didn't want to just stop at 20. Figured this way I'd get a better grip on the late 1st for when I work my way up to obsessing over who might be available for the Wild in the 2nd. Rangers could very well move up. Do you think it'll be a move up from 6th, a move up from the latter picks in the 1st, or both?

2nd- My source isn't more credible than a couple of posts on this site. But somehow I got the impression that the Kings actually favored Montoya a bit, or were at least neutral between him and Schwarz. While the general concensus is Marek is the better. My rationale was that the Kings would take the value at 11. And then if the second team to go w/ a goalie favored Schwarz, they'd make the trade to get their guy and gain a 3rd round pick in a deep 2005 draft to boot. Calgary paying a relatively cheap price for the privilege.

Perhaps Calgary isn't the best choice for goalie though? The thinking was that the financially strapped Flames could always use a second goalie waiting in the wings in case Kiprusoff decided he was a $9 million/year guy. Perhaps a near-NHL ready skater would be a better pick. Better chance to contribute to a deep playoff run which might have a short window. What team is more likely to be the second to go goalie?

3rd- Anaheim might be getting ripped off too. Don't know enough about Chimera's upside, and how scared GMs are of Wolski.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
thestonedkoala said:
Why would LA pick up Montoya? And Calgary has a young good goaltender in Kipper, they have more pressing needs.

Very rarely would any team draft to fill an immediate pressing need.

Our head scout (Tod Button) was on the radio saying it's a great goaltender draft and despite having Kiprusoff, Krahn and Medvedev that Sutter has given the scouts the go ahead to select a goaltender if they feel strongly about it. Button mentioned Schwarz, Montoya and Dubnyk by name and also mentioned another WHL goaltender (Pogge, Glass or somebody else.) So from hearing that it wouldn't shock me if the Flames nabbed one of the top goaltenders if they fall or if they go another direction in the 1st round I would think them taking a goalie in the 2-5th round range might be fairly likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->