Proposal: Yet Another Kessel Trade Thread

LGP71

Jun 28, 2015
First and Foremost, YES im a Penguins fan and thus i am biased towards the Penguins. But ill try to make this as impartial as i can.
I don't want to see Kessel go, but if must happen, these are the trades i think make sense for either team. (Also, first post for me).

PENGUINS TRADE
Phil Kessel (6.8X4).
2018 6th Rounder.

MINNESOTA TRADE
Jason Zucker (RFA)
2018 First (24th Overall).
Lucas Belpedio

The Wilds window to compete is closing, they have a lot of top 6 level guys, but no one player who you can call Elite. Kessel offers that Elite winger to play with Granlund for the next 4 years, even if the trade doesn't work out, you're only on the hook for 4 years at 6.8 for a guy coming off 92 points. (Wild need a PP boost too).
Belpedio is added to this deal as from what ive read, a decent D prospect who's thrown in as a sweetener because of the fact that Zuckers an RFA. Speaking of which, Jason Zucker is known to be a speedy winger who's just put up 64 points on the season, if he can find something with Malkin who knows what can happen.

Trade Number 2.

PENGUINS TRADE
Phil Kessel (6.8x4).
Ollj Maatta (4.1x4)

FLAMES TRADE
Dougie Hamilton (5.75x3)
Micheal Frolik (4.3x2)

Now ill admit i'm not sure of the value on this deal, but the way i see it is this, Calgary also needs that Secondary scoring option behind Gaudreau/Monahan. Kessel is perfect for a role of Secondary Scoring Option. Calgary gains a million in cap but also acquires an elite scoring winger, Frolik is a gamble for the Pens, he may or may not fit with Malkin/Sid but with 2 years left on his deal you wont be in bad shape in case he doesn't. Pens get the best player in this deal in Hamilton, a great big D-Man who can put up points, This deal is made for the Penguins to get stronger in the top 4 while Calgary receives Olli Maatta, a young cost controlled Defense man who has the ceiling and the skill to be a solid #3, potentially excelling with Travis Hamonic. Penguins arguably give up more cumulative value in this deal (Depending on how you view Olli Maatta), but the Pens also receive the best player in the deal and a potential 50 point winger with 87, 71, or 19.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
You kinda mooched these offers off previous threads...

Either way hell no to the MIN trade. Zucker is far worse than Kessel and we have no interest in late 1sts. Bad idea all around.

The second trade isn’t as bad but still we would be thin on LHD after and Frolik is not the goal scorer we need to replace Kessel in a trade. Think Skinner/Patches or a stud D like Subban.

Reactions: Gains

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
If Subban is really available, Kessel for Subban makes a lot of sense. Kessel would play well with literally all of their centers... he’s shown proven chemistry with Bonino, and shown he can play well with star centers like Johansen. Their RW depth could use a guy like Kessel.

Subban improves our D and our power play. We could then trade Letang/Schultz for a scorer like Patches to replace Kessel.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
If Subban is really available, Kessel for Subban makes a lot of sense. Kessel would play well with literally all of their centers... he’s shown proven chemistry with Bonino, and shown he can play well with star centers like Johansen. Their RW depth could use a guy like Kessel.

Subban improves our D and our power play. We could then trade Letang/Schultz for a scorer like Patches to replace Kessel.

He's not and it wouldn't make sense for Nashville. Our wingers weren't the problem this year, our defense and goaltending were. Tolvanen is slotted in our top 6 for next season and Kessel would only push him out.

Last edited:

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife

Subban is worth a whole lot more than Kessel

Reactions: Zenon Konopka Jr

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
I can't speak for every team involved's needs, but for an outsider value seems okay for both trade. Good job OP.

Russian Factor

Jan 8, 2015
Pittsburgh
first one does nothing for me but second one is a good start. however, I think the difference between Kessel and Frolik is slightly greater than the difference between Maatta and Hamilton.

LGP71

Jun 28, 2015
You kinda mooched these offers off previous threads...

Either way hell no to the MIN trade. Zucker is far worse than Kessel and we have no interest in late 1sts. Bad idea all around.

The second trade isn’t as bad but still we would be thin on LHD after and Frolik is not the goal scorer we need to replace Kessel in a trade. Think Skinner/Patches or a stud D like Subban.
I don't know if Zucker is FAR worse than Kessel, he did after all put up 64 points on an inferior offensive team, (And 47 the season before that). Zucker is also 4 years younger and seemingly better defensivly, also dont forget again that hes supposedly blazing fast, having a fast guy who can play and score playing a North South game while you have Geno slowing down the tempo of the game with his East West could be the perfect combo to succeed.

LGP71

Jun 28, 2015
first one does nothing for me but second one is a good start. however, I think the difference between Kessel and Frolik is slightly greater than the difference between Maatta and Hamilton.

Whilst thats true, i think if you can upgrade Maatta to Hamilton and get Frolik (And another small add) for Kessel, you do it, the team is still strong on the wings but how often do you come across 6'6 24 year old defense man that have put up at least 40 points in each of their last 4 seasons?
Letang - Dumolin
Schultz - Hamilton
Oleksiak - ?
Is a pretty solid D core with a great mix of offensive and defensive flair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad